Confirmed Trade: [OTT/SJS] Hoffman, Donaghy, 5th ('20) for Boedker, Bergman, 6th ('20)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Does this mean Jumbo won't be returning?
They can't be in on Tavares, sign Kane, trade for Hoffman and sign Jumbo
Is Jumbo going to want to sign now is the question I'd have. Hopefully they talked to him before this deal

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Enh, I don't understand being upset about the return.

Frankly I think Ottawa did pretty well given the situation. Ottawa got a serviceable middle 6 winger and low end prospect that still has NHL potential for a guy that had to be traded.

On bad teams, Boedker has produced around a 50 point pace. Hoffman produces around a 60 point pace. I don't see the huge drop off here.

The only real winner here is Hoffman's girlfriend though. Trading for Ottawa for Northern California. Plus, in silicon valley her psychopathy will hardly even be noticable.
He hasn't hit 50 points since 2014. Hasn't scored more than 20 goals, and only broke 15, twice in 11 years. There's a big drop between those players.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
This is one of those “...did you call everyone?” Trades. Hard to believe not one of 29 other teams would beat this offer.
I don’t know if that’s the case. Since hockey is such a tight-knit sport, having someone like that with all that extra baggage is detrimental to a team. Some teams probably just said no.

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
melnyk needs to pack it in and move the team to Quebec city. Ottawa is toast.

what a terrible trade Doug Wilson just stole hoffman from the Senators.

hoffman and kanes partners should get along just fine together in silicone valley

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Never did I think that intentionally lowering your expectations to surprise everyone the following year would be a tactic.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I know Ottawa didn’t get much back but just a few days ago everyone (just about) was saying they wouldn’t think of bringing him to their team, even for a late round draft pick. I’m not a fan of Ottawa but now all of a sudden their idiots for doing this.

Reactions: minisharkpanther

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
I feel for the Sen's fan's, now the waiting game to see if they trade EK as well for a total rebuild

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Sharks won this trade. But Ottawa has to do something. This helps all parties move on, and hopefully for Ottawa is a message to Karlsson that they will do whatever is necessary to keep him (although I think he still leaves due to poor ownership).

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Some pretty good spin doctors in here. The trade was horrible, plain and simple. Dorion also does not get a pass here. The Sens were aware of the online harassment for months and failed to act (hell a sens fan with inside access posted about it months ago). He could have been traded at the TDL when this wasn't public. Instead Dorion wanted for months to chase the nest absolute deal and got badly burned. The value went from a 1st and good prospect (or RNH like was rumored) to a ovepaid third liner and AHL player

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Is Melnyk broke or he is trying to sell tickets using the cheapest roster he can assemble as long as it reaches Cap floor?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
This puts the deal in much better context. Hoffman and Boedker have the same term remaining, but Hoff's deal was backloaded and Boedkers's was frontloaded. Dorion had his hands tied by two factors - Hoffman's very public drama, and an owner who wants to save money.

When you're looking at bang for buck (in real dollars), both guys will probably be around $100,000 per point. Considering the restraints Dorion faced, I think he did okay.

Ouch. Another blow to Sens fans. Melnyk goes for low budget return against possible other options, to pocket the 5$ million difference.

Reactions: amethyst

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I thought Ottawa did a good job here. They nipped that in the bud quicker than i expected anyone else would. The return is almost secondary at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad