Confirmed Trade: [OTT/SJ] Buddy Robinson, Zack Stortini & 2017 7th-round draft pick FOR Tommy Wingels

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
As others have said, the primary reason for us doing the trade is that Hertl is coming back soon (possibly as early as this Thursday), and we simply didn't have enough cap space to allow that without sending a couple of our young guys back down to the AHL. These are, I might add, young guys that have clearly (and in some cases dramatically) outplayed Wingels this year. If he was still scoring like he did 2 years ago, there's no way we would have traded him. But as he's performing now, > $2m is just too much salary for us to have in someone who would be the #14 or #15 forward on our team with everyone healthy. Also, our AHL team really needed some size, and replacement players after we called up most of the best players down there. Not to mention, we now have a big chunk of cap room that we can use at the deadline if we need the room to acquire an impact player that will help the team more than Wingels was.

So yeah, count me in the group thinking this deal is a win/win. Ottawa gets a bottom-6'er that is an upgrade over what they've been playing there (especially with the 4th line), in return for a couple AHL players they could easily part with and some cap space. We needed the cap space and the replacements for the AHL, and didn't need a > $2m forward that would likely spend most of his time in the pressbox, barring multiple injuries. Sure, I would have loved a bigger return, but seriously, who is going to offer tons for a player of his performance with a cap hit that large? As a result, I'm fine with this.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
People are forgetting that the Sharks hit home runs with late round picks. So now they have cap room for Hertl, get to keep the youngster on the main squad, and will probably draft another Wingel, Braun, or *squeal* Pavelski with that late rounder.

People also forget that there's nothing wrong with strengthening your AHL affiliate. The Sharks freed up capspace, got a 7th rd pick, and improved their AHL club in exchange for a guy they weren't using anymore. I don't see what there is to be disappointed with.

Ottawa had plenty of capspace, so they are one of the very few teams who could afford to acquire a $2.5M 4th liner.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
As others have said, the primary reason for us doing the trade is that Hertl is coming back soon (possibly as early as this Thursday), and we simply didn't have enough cap space to allow that without sending a couple of our young guys back down to the AHL. These are, I might add, young guys that have clearly (and in some cases dramatically) outplayed Wingels this year. If he was still scoring like he did 2 years ago, there's no way we would have traded him. But as he's performing now, > $2m is just too much salary for us to have in someone who would be the #14 or #15 forward on our team with everyone healthy. Also, our AHL team really needed some size, and replacement players after we called up most of the best players down there. Not to mention, we now have a big chunk of cap room that we can use at the deadline if we need the room to acquire an impact player that will help the team more than Wingels was.

So yeah, count me in the group thinking this deal is a win/win. Ottawa gets a bottom-6'er that is an upgrade over what they've been playing there (especially with the 4th line), in return for a couple AHL players they could easily part with and some cap space. We needed the cap space and the replacements for the AHL, and didn't need a > $2m forward that would likely spend most of his time in the pressbox, barring multiple injuries. Sure, I would have loved a bigger return, but seriously, who is going to offer tons for a player of his performance with a cap hit that large? As a result, I'm fine with this.

Well said. That's the way this should be evaluated.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I always like Wingles. Hope he plays well for ottowa. He's the kind of player that makes a difference come playoffs.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Buddy Robinson sounds like the kind of guy who played 19 seasons for the Red Wings from 1938-1957
I thought he was a stock car driver back in the day. The Buddy Robinson/Richard Petty feud was epic. Didn't know he could skate.

After reading the responses from Shark fans this trade makes more sense. Still surprised that SJ didn't get a better return for a retained Wingels. If you wanted tough guys with little to no hockey talent. Minnesota has a younger(23) Kurtis Gabriel($666K) available to get punched in the face and create penalty kill opportunities for you team.

rodney dangerfield

Dec 8, 2015
is Goldbin (don't remember how to spell it) or Meier ready for full time? I assume they are making room for another forward.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
is Goldbin (don't remember how to spell it) or Meier ready for full time? I assume they are making room for another forward.

Labanc seems to have secured a full-time roster spot. Meier is probably up full time, although they may send him down if he slumps. But they also had Carpenter, Goodrow, Goldobin, O'Regan, and possibly Sorenson who could all be considered as call-ups and arguably all of Meier, Carpenter, Goodrow, Goldobin, and O'Regan could make good arguments for an NHL roster spot.

So even with Haley and Hertl out of the line-up they had an abundance of forward depth but not even enough cap space to bring Hertl off LTIR without having to send some of the current young NHL roster players down. Wingels, like Nieto earlier in the month, just found himself passed by younger guys who cost less and arguably bring the same or more.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
So I wonder what it takes to get Hertl

EK would do it. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I am quite confident that Hertl is on the untouchables list, barring anything other than a completely ridiculous offer. I'll never say never, but Hertl is the single most important under-24 player in the entire organization. He's that key for us now and long term, so realistically isn't going to be going anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad