Confirmed with Link: [OTT/DAL] Gonchar to Dallas Stars for a Cond. 6th Round Pick in 2013

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
I was not expecting Gonchar to sign with Ottawa for one year only. Getting a 6th rounder is not much, but better than nothing. I really like that he free up some cap space for a potential younger upgrade.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
gut feeling the BM is going to try and pull a rabbit out of his hat at the draft. even more so now that Gonch is gone or his staff have hopes to steal another draft pick that was overlooked.
may be wise for BM to feel out the teams with cap issues and strike while the owners are holding their wallets tighter?

Murray is a Cheetah ready to pounce on cap teams(Chicago/Tampa/Vancouver/maybe Philly and LA)

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Meh, considering the garbage UFA class, I would have liked to see Gonchar back, but it's far from the end of the world that he's gone.

Possibly looking at bringing in a guy via trade?

My guess is that they are expecting one of the other D to make a step to the big leagues. While Ceci may not have done well in juniors, he may equate to NHL sooner than later. There is also Claesson who has been laying the boom down in Binghamton. Nobody has really mentioned Wikstrand lately... what has he been up to?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
My guess is that they are expecting one of the other D to make a step to the big leagues. While Ceci may not have done well in juniors, he may equate to NHL sooner than later. There is also Claesson who has been laying the boom down in Binghamton. Nobody has really mentioned Wikstrand lately... what has he been up to?

I've been mentioning him almost everyday.

He signed again with the teir 2 league of Sweden even though being pursued by almost all major SEL teams. He'll spend at least one more year in the SEL and when he comes over we'll be able to analyze him further but I'm guessing another year in Bingo before he hits the big club. He has solid promise but more of a project, 2 years at least before impact.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
So what's our cap situation like without Gonch? I've got us at about 16M in space if Alfie re-signs at his current hit, and about 20M if he doesn't (putting us right at the floor).

Sound about right?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
White is an interesting option. A bit small but fills the need for a RHD and is solid offensively. Can play the PP on the 1st or 2nd pairing depending on if Wiercioch is dressed.

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-White
Phillips-Gryba/Wiercioch

Not bad.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
White is an interesting option. A bit small but fills the need for a RHD and is solid offensively. Can play the PP on the 1st or 2nd pairing depending on if Wiercioch is dressed.

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-White
Phillips-Gryba/Wiercioch

Not bad.

I'd be happy with this. Maybe sign White for 2 years. Don't know the $ though.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Gonchar 2 yrs $10M team announced via twitter.....

Via NHL website....

"The Dallas Stars have signed veteran defenseman Sergei Gonchar to a contract, the team announced Saturday on Twitter. According to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News, the deal is for two years and worth $10 million.

Dallas acquired the rights to the 39-year-old Russian on Friday from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for a conditional sixth-round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.

The move should bolster a Stars blue line that was lacking for offense last season. Alex Goligoski led Dallas defensemen with 27 points in 47 games. But the contributions from the blue line tapered off from there, with Trevor Daley and Stephane Robidas ranking second among Dallas defensemen with 13 points each.

Last season, Gonchar collected three goals and 27 points in 45 games for Ottawa. The native of Chelyabinsk ranks first among active NHL defensemen in goals (217), assists (558) and points (775).

With the acquisition of Gonchar, this is shaping up to be an eventful offseason in Dallas. At the conclusion of the regular season, the club announced the hiring of Jim Nill as the team's general manager, replacing Joe Nieuwendyk. Coach Glen Gulutzan was subsequently fired, and Nill is continuing to search for his replacement.

The Stars have two first-round picks in the draft, to be held June 30 at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. In addition to holding the 10th pick, the team acquired the Boston Bruins' first-round pick (now either No. 29 or 30) when they traded Jaromir Jagr."

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
dallas is dumb.

although i expect sergei to fit in better on the dallas team than he did here.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The whole thing kind of sucks since Gonchar was probably the best option for us going into next season. It's going to be really hard to improve on this year's result without him. A 6th round pick is nice, but isn't much.

Long term though, we needed to get younger and this trade is one of the few ways that was going to happen. We need options for the next 5-10 seasons, not answers for 1-2 seasons. Ottawa took a big risk giving him a fairly lengthy contract three years ago. It's like playing the lottery with worse odds each year.

We have a lot of options next year to fill his role. Between Benoit, Wiericoch, Borowicki, and Gryba I trust that management can find a way to fill two rosters spots. The other 4 positions are solid. Plus, if Phillips retires next year, we'll need more young guys with experience to replace his minutes as well. We have a lot in the pipeline and a finite number of contracts we can give out.

Five million was a lot of money to shell out for a mid-range team like Ottawa. If we aren't going to contend, no need to spend it. If anything, I think it makes it more likely that we keep Alfredsson as well.

Good luck Gonchar, you'll be missed. Glad you're in the west.

source

Jul 13, 2008
So what's our cap situation like without Gonch? I've got us at about 16M in space if Alfie re-signs at his current hit, and about 20M if he doesn't (putting us right at the floor).

Sound about right?

Whatever it is, the internal budget is the relevant constraint.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad