OT: Other Sports aka #Broncos #SellRockiesSell #Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
He's an above-average QB from all I've heard but they're gonna throw elite player money at him and absolutely regret it. I don't think he's even as good as Tony Romo.

Drew Brees was the last QB of Cousins' caliber or higher to hit the UFA market (and by that I obviously mean Brees is better)--Cousins will get paid because of that and because he's 29.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I miss the days of college basketball when you had rivalries develop because kids stayed in school until their junior/senior years

There are a handful of top teams still doing that. Villanova, for one.

The one-and-done’s are really hurting college ball. Quality team play is hard to come by.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Drew Brees was the last QB of Cousins' caliber or higher to hit the UFA market (and by that I obviously mean Brees is better)--Cousins will get paid because of that and because he's 29.

I think Brees lost some zip on some passes this past season. His age-induced decline is probably coming soon.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think Brees lost some zip on some passes this past season. His age-induced decline is probably coming soon.

Well I meant Brees when he left San Diego in my original post. However, it shouldn't be lost on people that because of what Brees has been able to accomplish, he's the best pending-UFA QB on the market right now. I'd list Cousins as a close second though because of his age and what he's been able to do thus far in his career.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
He's an above-average QB from all I've heard but they're gonna throw elite player money at him and absolutely regret it. I don't think he's even as good as Tony Romo.

Yeah, I’ve had a number of discussions with people on both sides of this fence.

Cousins has had several very good statistical seasons, but doesn’t seem to win too many games. Then again, he’s played his career for fairly mediocre teams, all with a pretty dysfunctional (choose your adjective here) front office.

I think he’s a top third QB in the league, below the elite guys, but certainly above the mean. $30M is almost certainly overpayment for him, but if that’s the QB market, that’s the market.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah, I’ve had a number of discussions with people on both sides of this fence.

Cousins has had several very good statistical seasons, but doesn’t seem to win too many games. Then again, he’s played his career for fairly mediocre teams, all with a pretty dysfunctional (choose your adjective here) front office.

I think he’s a top third QB in the league, below the elite guys, but certainly above the mean. $30M is almost certainly overpayment for him, but if that’s the QB market, that’s the market.

My friend, I don't think it's a question of "If that's the QB market, then that's the QB market", because Jimmy G already set the QB market. Now he may go on to do great things in the league, but the fact remains he's woefully unproven in regards to the contract he signed--but that's the market.

The seasons Cousins has already put up should get him more than Jimmy G's contract, but I can see him settling for slightly under, depending on which team he signs with and if he feels that it will help them win a SB (which I think he's the type of QB that *can* win a Super Bowl...like a Joe Flacco, he wouldn't be *the reason* a team won it). But the QB market is insane right now, if Garoppolo got that, imagine what a bonafide Hall of Famer like Aaron Rodgers will get; or a bonafide superstar like Matt Ryan would get?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
My friend, I don't think it's a question of "If that's the QB market, then that's the QB market", because Jimmy G already set the QB market. Now he may go on to do great things in the league, but the fact remains he's woefully unproven in regards to the contract he signed--but that's the market.

The seasons Cousins has already put up should get him more than Jimmy G's contract, but I can see him settling for slightly under, depending on which team he signs with and if he feels that it will help them win a SB (which I think he's the type of QB that *can* win a Super Bowl...like a Joe Flacco, he wouldn't be *the reason* a team won it). But the QB market is insane right now, if Garoppolo got that, imagine what a bonafide Hall of Famer like Aaron Rodgers will get; or a bonafide superstar like Matt Ryan would get?

Yeah, it's crazy. But, you simply cannot win without a good QB, so.......

Draft geek note: That one Cousins signing is going to really have a huge impact on the draft, especially given the teams at the top of the draft who need QBs.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

brees is obviously better of the two but cousins is probably more wanted in this FA than brees was in '06. there were just couple of teams that went hard after him. he hadn't broken out yet and was coming off a serious shoulder injury. so bad the dolphins thought he was done when they looked at his medicals. brees didn't even become the highest paid QB in the league at the time. cousins will be if he wants to.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
my fears with Cousins are a few things -

1) Cousins stats are impressive, but the win records are not there

2) Maybe a Blake Bortles effect a little bit because of #1 - Cousins may have piled up stats in losses (will have to verify. I'm sure it's not on a Bortles level but I'd venture to guess Cousins has a lot of stats playing from behind). So even though Cousins has great stats, what situations were those stats in? When he was down 17?

3) Washington had absolutely zero running game. They seemed to play their best ball when they got Chris Thompson out on screen/swing passes. Thompson had over 500 yards receiving as a back. Also Washington's offense throws a lot of balls to the TE

4) A little bit more ranting on #3, but Denver is pretty much the anti-Redskin offense. We have no backfield receiving threat (unless D'Angelo Henderson has great hands, but who knows cause Vance will never play him!!!)....They have no TE and are pinning their hopes on a NFL rookie coming back from major knee surgery (maybe Butt makes it...but if we have to go to Heuermann at any point..yikes..complete doom at the TE).....And we have no 3rd WR........So we're picking up a Kirk Cousins who makes his paycheck off TE and RB dumps, and we're going to ask him to take 5 step drops with a porous OL to two overpaid WR's? This can't be a good plan.

I think most QB's are going to struggle in the Broncos offense because of the last couple of sentences in #4....I don't think a rookie fares any better in an offense with no OL and no short/middle threats. The luxury of Thomas/Sanders has got to go. I'm all for concentrating on getting young weapons and a young QB. And I really do think Elway is kidding himself thinking this team is "close" to a Super Bowl.....The foundation's pretty much gone. We made it to the SB off free agent signings, not a solid young core. I feel like the ship has a hell of a lot more holes than the player personnel folks are willing to admit (or they're just too conceited to).

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Brees is definitely not able to just bomb it every other play like he used to. Still, he's making good plays in the shorter to midrange game, and I think still has a few more years left.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Is Tony Romo really a HOF QB? I think that’s a borderline one. Probably a healthy debate that’s coming one day.

I like Romo though in general. He’s going to become one hell of a commentator. Whoever is his employer (CBS?) is, they totally nailed it.

I’m not a Cowboys fan at all. They’d definitely be in my bottom half of teams I like, but both Aikman and Romo are probably my two favorite color guys. Very talented.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I mean, when we look at QB's over the past 20 years or so...

HOF no doubt:

Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Brees

Questionable:

Roethlisberger
Rivers
Eli Manning
Romo
Warner

It's hard to evaluate QB's in the modern day as compared to previous era's due to stat's inflation.

To me, I'd have Warner and Eli Manning out immediately. Romo has better numbers than Rivers/Roethlisberger, but doesn't have the SB win as compared to Roethlisberger. I would guess Roethlisberger get's in along with Romo, with Rivers on the outside.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'd definitely say Roethlisberger is a HOF QB. Romo is right on the cusp, and I think the lack of a Super Bowl is the only reason why. You could tell me he's HOF guy or that he isn't and I'd probably understand both sides of the argument. That'll be a tough decision on him.

Warner, Eli, and Rivers are all super good QB's but not HOF'ers to me. More HOVG to me.

Manning, Brees, Brady should all be 1st ballot easy.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Nuggets have their first four game winning streak of the season.

Three straight games with a triple double for Jokic.

Plumlee posterizes Gasol for the win

Reactions: Pokecheque

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Yeah that’s an interesting one. Romo does have stats but Warner and Eli have rings. Eli really wasn’t exactly ever set up to throw for a lot of yardage under Coughlin.

I like Warner just because of the nice storyline there, and Warner went to two SBs with two different teams. He’s just at a disadvantage because he didn’t come into the NFL at age 22 and play 18 years in the league. Otherwise he’d be a lock.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I mean, when we look at QB's over the past 20 years or so...

HOF no doubt:

Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Brees

Questionable:

Roethlisberger
Rivers
Eli Manning
Romo
Warner

It's hard to evaluate QB's in the modern day as compared to previous era's due to stat's inflation.

To me, I'd have Warner and Eli Manning out immediately. Romo has better numbers than Rivers/Roethlisberger, but doesn't have the SB win as compared to Roethlisberger. I would guess Roethlisberger get's in along with Romo, with Rivers on the outside.

Manning and Roethlisberger are HOF locks. Easily. Both are all time Top 10 in both yards and TDs, and both have won two Super Bowls.

Rivers is right there also, minus the Super Bowls.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
My understanding is that Rivers is very much a family dude - 7 kids, involved in the community, etc.

Does he have skeletons in the closet somewhere or something?
Yeah he keeps he's wife bare foot and pregnant and he doesn't cuss. However he's pious, self righteous jackass and I've always heard no on the Chargers really likes him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad