OT: Other Sports aka #Broncos #SellRockiesSell #Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Yeah dumping Jordy is no bueno. He’ll end up in NE - Jordy’s like the only white WR left in the entire NFL that the Patriots don’t already have on their roster.

Keenum isn’t as garbage as you guys make him out to be. Under only a two year deal, he will be a good pickup. Keenum’s not going to get attitude like Osweiler and isn’t going to cry on the bench like Paxton if he has to give way to a rookie. He’s a good team dude and although he might not have the physical skills he does have the heart and will be a great locker room presence. You need someone around your incoming rookie that will help him and be a positive role model.

I’m just wondering what happens to Paxton or Siemian now. Probably both of them need to go. Keep Keenum, rookie, and Kelly as the third. Keenum is a good veteran presence and is hugely important if the other two are rookie/Kelly.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
That's the kind of getting cute that burned Cleveland even though they have MONEYBALL.

To be fair to them, Kevin Costner did identify Bo Callahan as a friendless loser and turned that situation to their advantage in super realistic fashion.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Been thinking about this today, and talking w/ a friend about it, but the Broncos could've done a lot worse than Keenum today.

I mean, there just weren't a lot of options beyond Cousins, and even though Denver supposedly made a "final 4" list, it sounds like Elway knew him landing in Denver was a long shot. So after Cousins you have names like Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater, McCown, Glennon (LOL), trade for Foles/Tannehill/someone else.

There just weren't a lot of options there. Bradford looked good in that first game of the year last year, and then of course his knee injury (and history of injuries in general); Teddy is an interesting name for sure, but I think his knee injury did him in, developmentally, and we may never see him progress; I don't like McCown and would've hated the Broncos signing him; I would've loathed the Broncos trading for a douche like Tannehill and the Eagles rightfully have a high asking price for Foles--one that would not have been good for Denver to meet.

I still think they should draft a QB at 5, provided it's not Allen (who I've just never been sold on), or trade back with Buffalo and stockpile some draft picks and take advantage of a team who is desperate for a QB (and then draft Mike White later on).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Honestly I don't see what the issue is with Keenum. What did people want to have happen? If they went after Cousins they would've likely had no cap room to fill other dire needs, and he's going to be insanely overpaid as is. There was no perfect option, unless people wanted Elway to draft a rookie and hope to God he could play in the NFL at a top-tier level right away. This team's not ready for a rebuild, Keenum at the very least buys them time to draft/develop a true franchise QB.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Ummm...kind of found this by accident :

Case Keenum is signing with the Broncos for 3 years, $36 million, ESPN reports.

I had previously read 2 years - $36M...if it's $12M per, that sounds like a great deal, no?

NFL free agency 2018: Rumors, reported signings and deals, updates by position

Well, Klis had reported that he'd heard it was "2 years at least 36M"...so if it's 3 years at 36M then I think that's an even better deal for the Broncos, depending on the total guaranteed money and how it's structured. Like if they can basically cut him next year w/ very little-to-no dead cap, it's a slam dunk deal for them, provided they draft a QB at 5.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Well, Klis had reported that he'd heard it was "2 years at least 36M"...so if it's 3 years at 36M then I think that's an even better deal for the Broncos, depending on the total guaranteed money and how it's structured. Like if they can basically cut him next year w/ very little-to-no dead cap, it's a slam dunk deal for them, provided they draft a QB at 5.

I wonder if they will draft a QB at #5. I get that you want to set-up your future but at the same time that's a player in the Top-5 that probably doesn't play all of next year. I question whether Elway really wants to be that patient.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I wonder if they will draft a QB at #5. I get that you want to set-up your future but at the same time that's a player in the Top-5 that probably doesn't play all of next year. I question whether Elway really wants to be that patient.
Our fan base doesn't. Why should he?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the Broncos want to go more after a 2-3 year project type... they should really take a hard look at Mike White in the 2nd over Allen in the 1st. I think White will be a better QB long-term, even if he doesn't have the physical skills of Allen.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Yeah Jackson feels a lot like Mahomes last year. I don’t think he will go at 10 but I don’t think there’s any way Jackson makes it past 20.

I love Mike White as a second or third rounder

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Should Elway consider maybe trading #5 to Buffalo for #12 & #22 to finally address the awful O-Line?
That's the kind of getting cute that burned Cleveland even though they have MONEYBALL.

Well, I can see merit either way.

First off, if the Broncos traded the 5th overall for the 12th overall, I believe they would get back more than just the 22nd overall in addition.

If the Broncos' plan is to grab their 10 year QB at that #5 pick (I assume Barkley will be gone in the top 3 picks), then clearly they should do that.

However, if they're going to do something else besides QB, grabbing #12/#22 plus a 2nd or 3rd rounder is not necessarily a terrible idea, given how many holes are on the Broncos roster. They have starter needs at almost every position on offense, and several positions on defense; and their depth is awful at every position on the team except OLB.

They really do need a lot of players.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Our fan base doesn't. Why should he?

Not the entire fan base. :D

Given the number of holes on the team, I'm hard pressed to figure out how he's going to avoid it.

He could start by getting good players with his 2nd-4th round draft picks.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Why in the hell does Mike Malone STILL have a job?

I wouldn't hire this dude to coach a pee wee team. He's a certifiable moron.

Why can't the Nuggets have a good coach? Haven't had a reasonably decent one since Horseface. And don't give me that George Karl nonsense; if he were still here we wouldn't even have Harris, Murray, or Jokic.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I watched about 20 mins of nuggets basketball last night and remembered why I never watch Nuggets basketball. Every year they consistently capture that 8-10 seed in the West. This year’s no different. Consistently mediocre, never willing to tank, and always willing to pay the 2nd or 3rd tier free agent a boatload of money. That’s the Nuggets brand of basketball.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why in the hell does Mike Malone STILL have a job?

I wouldn't hire this dude to coach a pee wee team. He's a certifiable moron.

Why can't the Nuggets have a good coach? Haven't had a reasonably decent one since Horseface. And don't give me that George Karl nonsense; if he were still here we wouldn't even have Harris, Murray, or Jokic.

Because, as I think I said in another thread, I think KSE is notoriously cheap when it comes to hiring front office staff and coaches. I think you can get away with that to a degree in the NHL, you absolutely cannot in the NBA.

And at the time George Karl was hired I think he was up against the wall, as were the Nuggets. He was about the only one who publicly said he wanted the job. I doubt he got paid much. I'll say this about him--he was the coach they needed at the time. If it was time to move on, that's fine, but they've done a pretty awful job of doing so.

The last truly great coach the Nuggets had was Doug Moe.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Winter Olympics totally screwed up the 6 Nations Cup for me, but man Sexton is easily MVP so far from what I've seen. Can't believe he has become this good of a player.

This is a problem I have with the NBA, how can you keep on being a Grizzlies fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad