OT: Other Sports aka #Broncos #SellRockiesSell #Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Once upon a time there was this sparky team with a no name backup QB who scored a big upset in the Super Bowl against an established offensive juggernaut everyone was sick of seeing win. I was pretty damn happy those entitled St. Louis Rams fans didn't drink champagne that one time! I think I might be a bit happier this time. Especially since Philadelphia Eagles fans have no chance at all of being insufferable.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If they're anything like flyers fan I think the opposite will be likely.

Dame, would've loved to see Brady win again.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Thank god the Patriots lost. What a game from Nick Foles

Also, the irony of Pats fans on the Bruins board complaining about a poorly officiated, one-sided game lol.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
This is a perfect response because it makes it not matter whether you made an accurate read on sarcasm. But I'm going to assume so, and I'm happy you know so many salt of the earth Flyers fans.

No I was actually being serious... did find it weird the same people would have opposite traits.

My thoughts:

Can't argue with myself but I do like seeing history happen. As long as I don't really hate/love anyone from a sport i'm indifferent to.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
call me crazy but I think this was Brady's last chance

I don't care what supplements he's doing or what his exercise regiment is.....he's going to start slowing down

Reactions: 5280

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Gronkowski said after the game he has to take some time to think about whether or not he wants to return. That guy has had so many major injuries over the years, from bones and ligaments to concussions. I think he's got a future in Hollywood somehow when he does call it quits. If he does retire, though, that's a huge, huge blow to Brady and the offence. 70% of their playbook is tailored to him.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Gronkowski said after the game he has to take some time to think about whether or not he wants to return. That guy has had so many major injuries over the years, from bones and ligaments to concussions. I think he's got a future in Hollywood somehow when he does call it quits. If he does retire, though, that's a huge, huge blow to Brady and the offence. 70% of their playbook is tailored to him.
That is gross exaggeration, they won the SB without him last season ffs. Anyway, the better team won, and Tom proved yet again how good he is.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That is gross exaggeration, they won the SB without him last season ffs. Anyway, the better team won, and Tom proved yet again how good he is.
How is it a gross exaggeration if Brady himself said they had to scrap a **** ton of their play book vs the Jaguars after Gronkowski went out? Yeah, they won the SB last season without him but if you think they can lose arguably the most prolific TE in the history of the NFL and just keep on trucking like it's nothing, you're in for a rude awakening.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
They won't just keep on trucking, but to say 70% of the playbook is dependent on him is absurd. Brady has the best stable of running backs he ever had, he has Cooks, Amendola, Julian, Hogan on the receiving corps, so he'll have plenty of weapons even without Gronk. Not to mention that they proved they can play and win without him time and time again, given how much time he spent on the sidelines.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They won't just keep on trucking, but to say 70% of the playbook is dependent on him is absurd. Brady has the best stable of running backs he ever had, he has Cooks, Amendola, Julian, Hogan on the receiving corps, so he'll have plenty of weapons even without Gronk. Not to mention that they proved they can play and win without him time and time again, given how much time he spent on the sidelines.
Yeah sorry just don't buy this, Gronk and Brady are the offense have been for a long time now. Back in the day Brady had Welker as well but now it's Gronk or bust when it matters. Case and point after a average offensive first half, Brady comes out and throws basically 75%+ of his passes to Gronk in the 2nd half, and the offense takes off. He is a matchup nightmare.

I do realize Cooks was out, but still when the plays matter the only guy Brady looks for is Gronk. He isn't looking for Cooks, Hogan, or Amendola if he needs a play, it's Gronk. If he was to retire, it would be a massive blow to that offense no matter how you view it in your mind. There isn't a player in the league that can replace Gronk, he is an extremely unique player that is basically unstoppable.

Not to mention the fact that McDaniels is gone. Most people in Denver hate that guy, but there is no denying he knows how to call an offense. Another huge blow to New England.

Brady isn't happy with Kraft or Belichick due to the whole personal doctor/trainer/nutritionist or whatever you want to call him issue that is going on. Who knows how that plays out. Not to mention he is going to be 41 next year, I don't care what shape you're in eventually you start to regress. Not saying it will happen over night but realistically how many more years can the guy play? or how many more years does he have the motivation to play?

I think we might actually be seeing the start of the decline of the Patriots empire. For the first time in a long time, there is actually some question marks around the franchise moving forward. Things like Brady's age and disgruntled feelings, Gronk possibly retiring (long shot but you never know), losing McDaniels and Patricia. Is Belichick's head still in the game, does he still have that motivation ( I've actually heard some diehard Patriot fans say that him not caring as much as he once did is a real possibility, so I'm not just pulling this out of my ass). I mean what else does he have to prove? Some big name UFAs that may or may not be back like Solder, Butler (not sure what was up with the decision to not play him tonight, kinda strange IMO), Burkhead, Amendola.

IMO you can only go to the well so many times. You can't make decisions like to trade a young gun like Garoppolo so Tom Brady can play two more seasons. These kind of decisions kill the franchise. You can't always plug every hole with a washed up vet (see James Harrison) or mid to late round draft pick or undrafted guy or castaway that somehow magically finds the ability to excel. It just can't happen every time.

All I can say is it's not all just roses for New England moving forward, and I don't think there are too many people outside of New England that are sad about it.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah sorry just don't buy this, Gronk and Brady are the offense have been for a long time now. Back in the day Brady had Welker as well but now it's Gronk or bust when it matters. Case and point after a average offensive first half, Brady comes out and throws basically 75%+ of his passes to Gronk in the 2nd half, and the offense takes off. He is a matchup nightmare.

I do realize Cooks was out, but still when the plays matter the only guy Brady looks for is Gronk. He isn't looking for Cooks, Hogan, or Amendola if he needs a play, it's Gronk. If he was to retire, it would be a massive blow to that offense no matter how you view it in your mind. There isn't a player in the league that can replace Gronk, he is an extremely unique player that is basically unstoppable.

Not to mention the fact that McDaniels is gone. Most people in Denver hate that guy, but there is no denying he knows how to call an offense. Another huge blow to New England.

Brady isn't happy with Kraft or Belichick due to the whole personal doctor/trainer/nutritionist or whatever you want to call him issue that is going on. Who knows how that plays out. Not to mention he is going to be 41 next year, I don't care what shape you're in eventually you start to regress. Not saying it will happen over night but realistically how many more years can the guy play? or how many more years does he have the motivation to play?

I think we might actually be seeing the start of the decline of the Patriots empire. For the first time in a long time, there is actually some question marks around the franchise moving forward. Things like Brady's age and disgruntled feelings, Gronk possibly retiring (long shot but you never know), losing McDaniels and Patricia. Is Belichick's head still in the game, does he still have that motivation ( I've actually heard some diehard Patriot fans say that him not caring as much as he once did is a real possibility, so I'm not just pulling this out of my ass). I mean what else does he have to prove? Some big name UFAs that may or may not be back like Solder, Butler (not sure what was up with the decision to not play him tonight, kinda strange IMO), Burkhead, Amendola.

IMO you can only go to the well so many times. You can't make decisions like to trade a young gun like Garoppolo so Tom Brady can play two more seasons. These kind of decisions kill the franchise. You can't always plug every hole with a washed up vet (see James Harrison) or mid to late round draft pick or undrafted guy or castaway that somehow magically finds the ability to excel. It just can't happen every time.

All I can say is it's not all just roses for New England moving forward, and I don't think there are too many people outside of New England that are sad about it.

Like against the Jax (you know that time he looked at Amendola?) or the entire last season's playoffs, or any time Gronk missed significant time and they still made the AFC Championship game winning 12 games at the minimum? I wouldn't comment on things I have no clue about. I won't even bother with the rest of the post as it's filled with nonsense.

tl;dr

Gronk is great, Pats have shown they can win without him time and time again.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Not to mention they’re going to have to pay or lose Nate Solder, Brady’s starting LT.

Cracks are starting to show for sure. Brady’s cap friendly contract, Gronk’s youth, and BB’s coaching abilities on D have sustained this franchise for a long long time. But the talent on D has really taken a hit. Gronk’s injuries have piled up. Both coordinators are leaving. Solder will probably not re-sign on a cap friendly deal. There’s definitely some holes in the ship that they’re going to have to plug.

The thing that still grabs me about this whole storyline is that the Pats are similiar to the Walsh 49ers in some ways. The 49ers traded Joe Montana late in his career and handed the reins off to Steve Young, the up and comer backup. Montana still had talent but was nowhere near as comfortable playing for the Chiefs. The Pats, rather than trading away their aging star QB, have elected to hold on to him and trade off the young backup. I am so intrigued on how this will be looked on historically in 5 or so years. For being as “cut throat” as the Pats have been over the years personnel wise, they wouldn’t pull the trigger on dealing Tom. It definitely hits home to me just how big that Montana trade was when it happened.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
There has, apparently, been some low-level buzz that McDaniels is not leaving for the Colts. Not sure how that one will play out.

As happy as I am that the Eagles won (and I was thrilled, my roommate is a die-hard Eagles fan, and we had a great time last night), I heard some flat-out RIDICULOUS hot-takes at my SB Party last night, one of the hottest being "If I'm given a choice to build my team around any player, I don't think I choose Brady as my QB"...GTFOH. I know it's cool to hate on the Patriots, but truly think about the time we're living in right now. In Tom Brady's 16 year NFL career, he has played in 8 Super Bowls...50-frigging-percent of his career has been spent playing in the Super Bowl. This type of sustained dominance from the Patriots is something that I'm not sure we'll see again, and if we do it's going to be a long time. And we nearly saw them play out the script in the exact same fashion yesterday! At some point the hatred has to turn in to begrudging respect. Honestly after last year's comeback and win, I can't even get mad--he's just the best to play the game, Belichick is the best coach to coach the game, and they nearly did it again last night. Credit the Philadelphia D for hanging in there and finally getting through with the strip-sack (which I think might've been the only sack in the game for either team), but Tom Brady still threw for an NFL record 505 yards and 3 TD's--but Philadelphia made the plays to win the game when they absolutely had to...oh, and it helped that Doug Pederson has some enormous balls.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't choose Brady as who to build around... the dude is 40! ;)

Still on a bit of a high over here. Can't believe this actually happened!

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldn't choose Brady as who to build around... the dude is 40! ;)

Still on a bit of a high over here. Can't believe this actually happened!
You still have 10 years of Brady at 40! lol dude is ridiculous because I actually believe he will continue to play at this high of a level for a long time

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
You still have 10 years of Brady at 40! lol dude is ridiculous because I actually believe he will continue to play at this high of a level for a long time

i thought so about peyton early 2014 season. he fell off the cliff weeks later.

same thing will happen to brady too. at that age, he won't be able to recover from injuries fast or at all. next serious injury might be it and he took a lot of shots this year. he's accuracy has already decline a bit but he's probably the best QB to ever play so he can afford a small decline.

i'd give it less than 2 years. father time is unbeaten, even for GOATs.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
i thought so about peyton early 2014 season. he fell off the cliff weeks later.

same thing will happen to brady too. at that age, he won't be able to recover from injuries fast or at all. next serious injury might be it and he took a lot of shots this year. he's accuracy has already decline a bit but he's probably the best QB to ever play so he can afford a small decline.

i'd give it less than 2 years. father time is unbeaten, even for GOATs.
I think there's a major difference between the two, though, given Manning's neck surgeries.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Are any of you dudes actually over 40 years old? I lost every ounce of athletic ability I had around age 38.

So many QB's have tried to play forever. Almost all of them peter out around 40/41/42. The one thing I noticed is that it's a pretty drastic and sharp decline when it does happen. Usually seems to only take about 1.0 to 1.5 seasons to go from greatness to retirement.

Reactions: 5280

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Are any of you dudes actually over 40 years old? I lost every ounce of athletic ability I had around age 38.

So many QB's have tried to play forever. Almost all of them peter out around 40/41/42. The one thing I noticed is that it's a pretty drastic and sharp decline when it does happen. Usually seems to only take about 1.0 to 1.5 seasons to go from greatness to retirement.
That and the primary proponents of the idea that Brady will play until he's 80 have such a great grasp of football history.

Reactions: Bonzai12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad