GDT: Other Games Around the League 2016-17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To me that was actually worse than the Wideman thing.

I feel like Wideman had just gotten hit didn't entirely know where he was at.

This was like, looking right at him.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Vermette is going to deserve every game of the suspension they're going to give him. By the rulebook, he's probably looking at 10 games. Which, given the DoPS's idiocy, is probably more than Nyquist will get for stabbing Spurgeon in the face.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Vermette is going to deserve every game of the suspension they're going to give him. By the rulebook, he's probably looking at 10 games. Which, given the DoPS's idiocy, is probably more than Nyquist will get for stabbing Spurgeon in the face.

By the rulebook, he could easily get 20 games IMO, especially if the linesman got a bruise or something. That would easily fit within the "deliberately strikes an official and causes injury", which is 1 of the the things that gets you 20 games. (This is one of the things the NHL said Wideman but the NHLPA successfully argued that what Wideman did wasn't a strike. I don't think they could argue that here.) But Vermette will probably get 10 bc that would make it less likely that the NHLPA would appeal. It would be very difficult to say that he didn't deserve 10 games per the rules.

To me that was actually worse than the Wideman thing.

I feel like Wideman had just gotten hit didn't entirely know where he was at.

This was like, looking right at him.

I agree. The other reason you can get 20 games is if you knew or should have known that what you did could reasonably cause an injury. But the NHLPA successfully argued that Wideman was out of it bc of his concussion. The NHL tried to say that Wideman should have known anyway and kept playing instead of following the concussion protocol. But the NHLPA argued against that. IMO that's right bc if you have a concussion, not only is your vision possibly impaired, your judgment probably is too, as well as your memory. So holding players responsible for the symptoms of an injury they sustained doing their jobs is problematic, to say the least. There's nothing like that here.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I know 10 is the minimum, but having 10 for that but only 2 for a check to the head is ridiculous. Now, if he slashed the official in the face, fine. But it wasn't really "that violent".

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I know 10 is the minimum, but having 10 for that but only 2 for a check to the head is ridiculous. Now, if he slashed the official in the face, fine. But it wasn't really "that violent".

Ehh, it's just the league protecting their officials. I am fine with it. People who are in vulnerable positions need to be protected. It's like how Cab drivers and bus drivers are protected by law so that anything done to them leads to a significantly larger penalty than if you did that same act to a random person on the street.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Ehh, it's just the league protecting their officials. I am fine with it. People who are in vulnerable positions need to be protected. It's like how Cab drivers and bus drivers are protected by law so that anything done to them leads to a significantly larger penalty than if you did that same act to a random person on the street.

^ Unless your name is Patty Kane...

HAHA! Very true.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
officials are simply not ever eligible for hits or intentional contact. it cannot ever be allowed and must be deterred severely. they have to have a protected role, in any sport.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Obviously there's a long way to go but if the Sharks win the division, it looks like their 3 potential opponents are gonna be the Preds, Kings, or Blues. The Flames are technically in the mix too but I don't think they'll beat out the aforementioned teams. So, the question is would you rather face the Preds, Kings, Blues or an inexperienced Oilers team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad