Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXXIII: Cubs land Fowler for Straily/Valbuena

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sorry if this was already posted, but Ricketts made fun of the Sox's attendance! :amazed: :amazed: :amazed:

It was a pretty light-natured swipe, all things considered. And there is a basis for it, the Sox draw was 28th in the league last year. I know that many will just say that the Cubs only draw more due to Wrigley and casuals and yadda, yadda, but there is something to be said about the Cubs drawing a full million extra fans to their games last year than the Sox when both ended with identical records.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Dude is from Nebraska, as if he has any idea about the make up of Chicago baseball.

He ended up a Cubs fan for 1 reason, the Cubs play on the popular side of town.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Dude is from Nebraska, as if he has any idea about the make up of Chicago baseball.

He ended up a Cubs fan for 1 reason, the Cubs play on the popular side of town.

I can't stand the Ricketts family so I can't believe I'm defending one here, but it's silly to think a middle aged man like Ricketts who has lived/worked in the Chicago area for decades can't have an opinion on Chicago baseball just because he didn't move to the city until he came there for college.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Only born and bread south siders or their children are SOX fans. The rest become Cubs fans because it's the cool thing to do...and that's who your owner is.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
It was a pretty light-natured swipe, all things considered. And there is a basis for it, the Sox draw was 28th in the league last year. I know that many will just say that the Cubs only draw more due to Wrigley and casuals and yadda, yadda, but there is something to be said about the Cubs drawing a full million extra fans to their games last year than the Sox when both ended with identical records.

No there's not really anything to be said. There are more Cub fans than Sox fans. Why are we acting like this wasn't established 30+ years ago?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Only born and bread south siders or their children are SOX fans. The rest become Cubs fans because it's the cool thing to do...and that's who your owner is.

Right. Because there is no such thing as a born and bred Cub fan.

eta: Oh never mind. Just noticed you apologized in the course of me trying to decide how to compose my pithy indignant retort. :laugh:

But it's still bogus that you have to be a lifelong northsider to be a "true" Cub fan.

Last edited:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

You know, the funny thing is I was born at Illinois Masonic, which is very close to Wrigley Field. I liked both teams as a very young kid, but have been all Sox since I was 11.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
My dad is a Sox fan from Jeffery Manor. My mom grew up a Cubs fan 2 miles from Midday because her dad was a west sider, and side of town didn't matter for him, it was 2 trains in either direction. My uncle became a Sox fan because his uncle, my grandpa's brother, ended up a Sox fan.

Side of town doesn't always matter. But I can't give the benefit of doubt to some Nebraskan, sorry. We all have a lot of history here, and I can't assume he knows it all.

In the end though, he's just trying to excite a crowd. I don't blame him.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Yeah the attendance thing has nothing to do with Ricketts. His family just had a lot of money and bought in to it. I also don't blame him. He had no answer for the question, so he made a funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad