Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXXIII: Cubs land Fowler for Straily/Valbuena

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I just don't like Shields. I'd rather just wait.

Being here isn't a good reason. I've been working the lobby my whole time here. But, it could easily be wrong.

I did have a Marlins person have to like drop his **** and go on me when they were getting hot and heavy on Gordon. That was cool.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I've posted very few things. I just throw some stuff out here that's kind of in circulation. I don't exactly want to break news on HF. :laugh:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It was nothing against you, MB. I honestly forgot you were there. And the blogger could very well be wrong as well.

I got a quick question. Since there is no salary cap in baseball, why would it matter if the Cubs just overpayed Shields a little bit?

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Luxury tax. That's why the Cubs have a $20 million signing bonus spread out over 7 years and a vesting option with Lester. They'd do something similar with Shields.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Because they've got a limited amount of money?

I meant more along the lines of it a team had all the money in the world to spend, what would stop them. I know the luxury tax, but didn't know if there was anything else stopping it. I apologize, fairly new to actually paying close attention to free agency stuff like this.

Elvis P

Chips from the chocolate fireball
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I meant more along the lines of it a team had all the money in the world to spend...
Teams are businesses. They don't have infinite amounts of $, only God does. Teams are trying to at least break even, if not make a profit. No one got rich by losing money.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
B4miy14CIAIJNGy.png

God, ESPN is just the worst :laugh:

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I feel a lot better about the Robertson deal now that I went to the meetings. General consensus is that the reliever market is very undervalued by the general public. Lots of proprietary metrics valuing relief pitching.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I feel a lot better about the Robertson deal now that I went to the meetings. General consensus is that the reliever market is very undervalued by the general public. Lots of proprietary metrics valuing relief pitching.

It's not that it isn't important, it's that it's erratic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad