OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXIX: Countdown to the Cactus League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
And Tanaka?

Nope, totally ignore it to fit your narrative. Par for the course with you.

When did they get Tanaka? Is there another Tanaka I don't know about? The White Sox were never considered serious bidders for Tanaka. Scott Merkin said

"I don't see the White Sox getting into any sort of bidding war for Tanaka's services, with reports projecting the bidding to range into the five-year, $100 million range. Tanaka would have to want the White Sox almost more than they wanted him to pitch for them, as I've written previously, and he certainly could choose them with this new posting system in place."

Showing an interest in a player and making a competitive bid/being in the run to sign them are two totally different things. I don't think anyone was under the impression that the Sox had a chance to land Tanaka.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
You said

Who is the last player the Sox made a big run at?

You didn't say "successfully acquired" or anything to that effect. Stop changing your arguments in the middle. It's tiring and obnoxious and you do it all the ****ing time.

And what's your point, anyway? They haven't been major players in FA the past few years because they were waiting for puds like Rios and Dunn to come off the books. Everything is clear after this year.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
You said

You didn't say "successfully acquired" or anything to that effect. Stop changing your arguments in the middle. It's tiring and obnoxious and you do it all the ****ing time.

And what's your point, anyway? They haven't been major players in FA the past few years because they were waiting for puds like Rios and Dunn to come off the books. Everything is clear after this year.

Making a run isn't making a bid you know won't be competitive. When the Hawks went after Parise, thats making a run at a guy.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Who is the last player the Sox made a big run at?

The Sox haven't had a situation like this in probably 25 years. Looking at other recent years is pointless. They were saddled with contracts paying big money. The Danks contract is the only anchor left, and that only has 2 seasons left on it.

The payroll dropped from 118 mil to 90 mil last year, and they only have 46 mil tied up so far for 2015.

All that said - they are coming off two bad years. They know they can't depend on a tourist attraction for a stadium to bring people in like the Cubs can. The Sox have a history of bad attendance when the team sucks for prolonged periods. The Sox will be hungrier in free agency. JR will be hungry for one more World Series chance. He turns 79 before opening day next year.

While hitting is the team's biggest need, there's many ways to skin a cat. They could load up on pitching. They could sign a big name pitcher, and then turn around and trade another pitcher for hitting, like Quintana or Rodon (Rodon can't be moved until the summer). Who knows what their intent is....but I am confident in both Jerry Reinsdorf and Rick Hahn.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Abreu was last big FA run from Sox

Outbid several teams

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the ability to go for guys making 20-25 mil per. But I'm also pretty sure that he didn't realize the Sox have over 70 mil less tied up than they did just 2 years ago. They can splurge on Lester and still have a payroll far below what it was 2 seasons ago.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The problem was not trusting the bullpen. Or thinking the starter needing pulling at all at that point.

He pulled his ace who was rolling and put in a rookie SP when he has some of the best relievers in MLB

Royals owner should fire Yost tonight

Seriously you have this as your bullpen options (Didn't even need to pull Shields in first place)

Wade Davis = 9-2 with 1.00 ERA
Kelvin Herrera = 4-3 with 1.41 ERA

And you put in a 23 yr old rookie SP who pitched Sunday

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Tyler Kepner ‏@TylerKepner 6m6 minutes ago
James Shields threw 88 pitches tonight. He had thrown more than 88 pitches in every single previous start as a Royal.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
He pulled his ace who was rolling and put in a rookie SP when he has some of the best relievers in MLB

Royals owner should fired Yost tonight

Seriously you have this as your bullpen options (Didn't even need to pull Shields in first place)

Wade Davis = 9-2 with 1.00 ERA
Kelvin Herrera = 4-3 with 1.41 ERA

And you put in a 23 yr old rookie SP who pitched Sunday

I still in shock by how dumb the idea was :shakehead :laugh:

Even if it worked it just did not make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad