Seravalli: Zadorov thinks he can get 6X6

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
In a league where Nurse can squeeze you for 9.25, Zadorov can get 6x6

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
lol, poster shows second best 5 on 5 goal scoring, but that’s esoteric now.

I mean 19 points over 82 games in a career is an unimpeachable accomplishment. As well as finishing second among defensemen in even strength goals once in his whole career. Truly an offensive dynamo from the blue line.

Offense consists of multiple aspects. If Zadorov is so great please post his other offensive superlatives that I'm missing.

But that's all you've got, silly little nitpicks that don't change anything.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think this was ultimately why the Avs moved on from Zads to begin with, he had grand illusions of his worth relative to the salary cap.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I mean 19 points over 82 games in a career is an unimpeachable accomplishment. As well as finishing second among defensemen in even strength goals once in his whole career. Truly an offensive dynamo from the blue line.

Offense consists of multiple aspects. If Zadorov is so great please post his other offensive superlatives that I'm missing.

But that's all you've got, silly little nitpicks that don't change anything.
I’m not paying him 6x6 btw,
I can see a team going north of 5, a number in the 4’s is what it should be.

Last edited:

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
Any team that pays Nikita Zadorov for 6 seasons at $6mil per season will probably regret doing so by the end of the 1 year of the contract.

Zadorov is built more for playoff hockey.

If he does require a 6x6 deal it shouldn’t come with a no trade or no move clause.
This is exactly what players should be payed for.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
This is exactly what players should be payed for.
I agree but Zadorov doesn’t exactly get up for every regular season game which hurts his stock during a regular season.

If the 82 game season were all playoff games then Zadorov would be the highest paid defenseman in the league.

• Haha
Reactions: JarvisFunk

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
I agree but Zadorov doesn’t exactly get up for every regular season game which hurts his stock during a regular season.

If the 82 game season were all playoff games then Zadorov would be the highest paid defenseman in the league.
I think it’s better to have players who play ok 2/3 of regular season with 1/3 of meh performance and then elevate their game in playoffs than regular season superstars who disappear in playoffs.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
This is absurd. Yeah, I’m sure Ryan Reaves would be leading a lengthy playoff run playing 20 minutes a night with 4 goals and 8 points in 12 games while being a dominant physical force.

Zadorov is actually pretty much everything the Leafs lack in the playoffs but then again maybe the continuous flameouts are a result of pro scouting that equates Nikita Zadorov to Ryan Reaves.
Did I use a hyperbole? Yes. Is he having a great playoffs? Yes. Do players typically over preform during a contract year? Yes. Has he been a 3rd pairing dman for 90% of his career? Not doing the math but probably.

If you can’t see he isn’t a huge buyer beware player then I don’t know what to tell you. I’d much, much rather sign Chris Tanevs couple years of high end defensive play to a 6 year contract then Zandorovs mediocrity outside of physical play.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
He could probably get even more than $6 million from a team like the Hawks or Sharks but I think he takes less to play in Florida where he can live year round since he doesn't go back to Russia.

What happens in Chicago and San Jose that he can't live in either of those cities in the summer?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I know I'd regret it eventually, but I don't know that I'd turn down a deal just a shade lower than this.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I think he gets the dollars, maybe even slight more than 6 but less term

6.25*4 is my guess

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I know GMs are stupid when it comes to big dmen, but there’s no way someone’s giving a #5 6.0 per right?
Hes stepped up his game in the playoffs, been a beast,chipped in with points and teammates love him.

Recency bias and gms with goldfish level attention spans mean he will get paid well

I know GMs are stupid when it comes to big dmen, but there’s no way someone’s giving a #5 6.0 per right?
Hes stepped up his game in the playoffs, been a beast,chipped in with points and teammates love him.

Recency bias and gms with goldfish level attention spans mean he will get paid well

rea

Feb 8, 2011
He will get paid for sure, but imo you will have to live with the bad and hope the good continues in playoffs. The things he's doing now, he will not get away with half of that stuff in Reg season. That shit gets called, so expect to be on pk consistently. His energy is not the same regular season as it is now, but I love the dude and his emotional drive at the most important time of the year, it def brings confidence to teammates knowing this villain got your back.

Whether your team is good enough to survive the flaws and problems he will put forth for you in Reg season or not, that will decipher if you should pay him for his performance if you make the playoffs.

Personally, without speaking of value, this is the kind of guy I'd love on my team, and for now I am glad he is.

Reactions: Crow

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I always cringe at people that talk about a DMan's "pair number" not realizing most teams balance out their pairs because they'll be rolling all three. Look at a Defenseman's ATOI to get a sense of where they fall on a pecking order, and EV TOI in particular if you're concerned about 5 on 5 utilization. Someone said Zadorov "couldn't crack" the Hawks top 4 back in 2020-21, he was third in ice time amongst DMan and in particular third at even strength after Duncan Keith and Connor Murphy, while having the best GA/60 at even strength amongst regulars with the best defensive zone start %.

Anyway...i don't think it's unreasonable to believe that Zadorov could get something at least in that $6M x 6 ballpark. His playoffs have been absolutely huge for his stock. He's done exactly what every team wants from their behemoth defenceman in elevating his game in the playoffs.

Look at what Ben Chiarot got for doing the same in the Habs run (even after failing to replicate that with Florida the next year)...under a lower cap. I also don't think that the $$$ value is that farfetched when you look at what say...Gavrikov got, albeit on a shorter deal...specifically to try to cash in on more money in the years to come. So $5.8M as a short-term "low offer" to bet on himself and the rising cap.
Should sign a 3 year deal if he wants $6 million AAV, imo. For 6 years, teams will want lower AAV.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Maybe that’s this issue.
I remember very specifically that it appeared to me, in my opinion that he was a big part of the problem with that team, not like he was being weighed down by his teammates. He just sucked, made poor reads consistently and would sometimes get nice hits.

Reactions: wintersej

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
He'll get it. He's' been an absolute Chad in the playoffs and a pure beefcake of a human being.

He's exactly what contending teams want on their blueline. The Leafs need this dude but I don't know their cap situation well enough. I would think they're a much better team with Zadorov and an actual goalie with the Marner cap space

^^This dude gets it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad