Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
For the guys who haven't cut the chord yet ... the potential Disney + Fox Entertainment merger should be the catalyst especially if the AT&T Warner merger goes through. Times are changing. What a fun time. Watching sports will move to the next level ... as well as other content.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
For the guys who haven't cut the chord yet ... the potential Disney + Fox Entertainment merger should be the catalyst especially if the AT&T Warner merger goes through. Times are changing. What a fun time. Watching sports will move to the next level ... as well as other content.

Disney would have the rights to undo the awful job Fox made on the X-Men movies (excluding Wolverine solos)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I watched some DeAndre Ayton last night. He's good. His size definitely had an impact on 2 legitimate NBA post prospects on aTm, Williams and Davis. Still surprised Davis had 21 points, but that was not all on Ayton. That said, he's not very instinctive when it comes to rim protection. He floats rather than defend. That might be just due to inexperience.

I don't know if Ayton is demanding the ball enough or Zona's offense is flawed, but he's not getting enough touches. He's got some strong moves inside. He also could have finished better. He's got a decent touch for a big man. Might develop a mid range game.

Ayton is what we thought he was. Great size and athleticism / good touch / strong moves inside / floats defensively / average basketball IQ. Nothing's changed. Great potential with some uncertainties.

Ayton is definitely a center. He's not a wing. He's not skilled / instinctive like Embiid. However, he has a ton of upside. He could be another DeAndre Jordan who can shoot free throws. That's really good.

While Bagley is not as long as Ayton, he's just more skilled. 10 years ago, Ayton would be the #1 pick. The NBA has changed since then. They value the skill sets Bagley brings vs. Ayton. If Bagley develops a shot, his upside is higher. Today's NBA wants Kevin Garnett more than Patrick Ewing. That's the difference.

That said, Ayton is very good. He's the type of player who takes a team like the current Celtics to a championship. The missing piece. The Bulls need to shoot for the moon. They need potential superstars.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Are Disney doing a streaming service?

We talked about cutting the cord a while ago here. I'm buying a house around April and have every intention of cutting the cord at that time.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Are Disney doing a streaming service?

We talked about cutting the cord a while ago here. I'm buying a house around April and have every intention of cutting the cord at that time.
That's everyone's ultimate goal. Disney + ABC + ESPN + Fox Entertainment content make them attractive in a la carte line.

Murdoch is pushing for a news a la carte. He's also trying to bolster his sports franchise internationally. I don't know what that means for FOX Sports America. Sky is far more valuable than FOX Sports. He's stream lining his business.

AT&T and Warner made sense marrying the distribution platform and content. Unfortunately, their telecommunications business put a snag in the possible acquisition.

It will be interesting how Verizon, Google, Apple, Netflix, MS, Amazon, etc. respond.

Everything is going a la carte. The days of system operators of forcing bundles is going away. That's why MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA all have their own networks. That's why B1G, ACC, SEC, and PAC12 have their own networks. Cut out the middle man ... control your own content. That's why ESPN paid big for long term contracts for content. ESPN will always be needed for promotion. However, they also realize that they need to be partners with their content providers vs. a just a distribution network. Content is King.

It's obvious the current business model is antiquated. Where it goes? That's the big question. Chords are a thing of the past.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
One of the things that kills me for these streaming packages from sports leagues is the local blackouts. That probably kills off most of their potential customers. I hope they get around this at some point. I understand it would come at a cost to their tv contracts. So I don't know.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
One of the things that kills me for these streaming packages from sports leagues is the local blackouts. That probably kills off most of their potential customers. I hope they get around this at some point. I understand it would come at a cost to their tv contracts. So I don't know.
That's going to have to change ... otherwise, people will look for alternatives. Consumers can't be held captives due to technology.

I always wondered how the NFL Redzone gets around cannibalizing the major network viewer. Unless it's the Bears, I'm watching Redzone. I have to think revenues have to be shared.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I really don't like the redzone. I hate when I go to my friends house and they have it on instead of the game. I'd much rather watch the actual game and have an understanding of what's going on in the game. I can watch the highlights of other games later.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
That's everyone's ultimate goal. Disney + ABC + ESPN + Fox Entertainment content make them attractive in a la carte line.

Murdoch is pushing for a news a la carte. He's also trying to bolster his sports franchise internationally. I don't know what that means for FOX Sports America. Sky is far more valuable than FOX Sports. He's stream lining his business.

From all I've read Sky Sports is part of the sale.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am fairly sure my 20 month old daughter would kill me in my sleep if we turned of Disney and other movies. I wake up with the soundtrack to Frozen in my head every morning.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I am fairly sure my 20 month old daughter would kill me in my sleep if we turned of Disney and other movies. I wake up with the soundtrack to Frozen in my head every morning.
Globally, children's networks (Nick, Disney, Cartoon, etc.) are always the top rated cable networks. Of the 200 cable channel you have, how many you really watch?

ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, ESPN, Disney, Cartoon, HBO, CNN, CSN Chicago, Weather Channel ... and perhaps a local network like WGN. What else do you need?

Some people might substitute TNT, TBS, FOX News, NBC Sports for something else ... but you only need 10 channels and be perfectly fine.

Then ... for the nuts, there are speciality channels.

Business / Life are about cycles. Too much information can be hectic. People want specific / customized information to fit their needs ... like it was done in the past. Information is consolidating again. Hedge funds are buying local content. We live in a fascinating world.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Globally, children's networks (Nick, Disney, Cartoon, etc.) are always the top rated cable networks. Of the 200 cable channel you have, how many you really watch?

ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, ESPN, Disney, Cartoon, HBO, CNN, CSN Chicago, Weather Channel ... and perhaps a local network like WGN. What else do you need?

Some people might substitute TNT, TBS, FOX News, NBC Sports for something else ... but you only need 10 channels and be perfectly fine.

Then ... for the nuts, there are speciality channels.

Business / Life are about cycles. Too much information can be hectic. People want specific / customized information to fit their needs ... like it was done in the past. Information is consolidating again. Hedge funds are buying local content. We live in a fascinating world.

I am fairly sure we have every channel and other than sports I don't watch anything other than a few news networks.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Essentially I only watch sports, Adult Swim, and HGTV via cable these days.
How much money would you save just buying B1G, ESPN, CSN Chicago, WGN, HGTV and the Cartoon Network. CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC and PBS should all be free. Perhaps you splurge and buy the NHL Package. Simple and sweet. Life would be easier.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Wish that'd be an option. I'd gladly pay 75% of monthly amount for 10% of the channels.
It will be unless the special interests groups buy out our politicians again. That's why B1G is in such good shape. If they can go a la carte, with streaming becoming the norm ... they are not held captive by the system operators. They can get their content to the masses. They own their content and their distribution platform. They use FOX and ESPN to promote and market their content as well as sell some of their biggest games. No more middlemen. The process is being stream lined.

That said, the NHL's technology is first rate. I'm not a Bettman fan, but he's not a complete idiot. Now he needs to get the NHL back on ESPN to promote the product ... or at least split the NHL rights with NBC and ESPN.

Bundling is what made the Kardashians rich. No one wants the E Channel except a few women. We pay for it because we have no choice. Yes ... we made them rich because we were forced too.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015

Well use an antenna + streaming to solve blackout issues.

Antennas have improved 10000%

I’m love the freedom streaming has opened for us. I pay $25 a month for TV!

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
That's Sky UK Satellite due to anti trust issues. That's more a telecommunications entity.
Everything Disney Would Own if it Really Did Buy 21st Century Fox
Sky TV
It seems weird that Fox would willingly handover Sky TV (the one in this country) after all the trouble Rupert Murdoch has gone to in his everlasting attempt to acquire it in its entirety. It seems less likely that it would be included, but there are no rules about Disney owning news companies in this country, in the same way that it couldn't acquire Fox News (as much as Fox News needs some Disneyfication).
I'd say this is a maybe, but you never know. I personally would much rather Bob Iger be in charge of Sky than Rupert Murdoch.

Sounds like this part is very much up in the air:
Murdoch is pushing for a news a la carte. He's also trying to bolster his sports franchise internationally.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Haven't watched the Bulls this year, but they're in town tonight. They jumped out to a 13-4 lead and I'm wondering how they only have 3 wins this season--they look decent. Then, I see a play that maybe shows why they are where they are: Pacers get the rebound and 32 on the Bulls tries to jump what he thinks is an outlet pass around his own three point line. This puts him grossly out of position. He runs to the other end of the floor into the paint to cover no one, but he looks busy since there are a few post players in the area. His man is camped at the 3 point line in the corner, who receives the ball and hits a wide open 3. Just a bizarre lack of any defensive awareness by him.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Haven't watched the Bulls this year, but they're in town tonight. They jumped out to a 13-4 lead and I'm wondering how they only have 3 wins this season--they look decent. Then, I see a play that maybe shows why they are where they are: Pacers get the rebound and 32 on the Bulls tries to jump what he thinks is an outlet pass around his own three point line. This puts him grossly out of position. He runs to the other end of the floor into the paint to cover no one, but he looks busy since there are a few post players in the area. His man is camped at the 3 point line in the corner, who receives the ball and hits a wide open 3. Just a bizarre lack of any defensive awareness by him.
That was a game they should've won but the tank is just to strong, Lavine would've been useful for the closing minutes.

Last edited:

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Loyola-Chicago beat 5 ranked Florida how about that random ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad