Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
for me, that whole thing being a small market is does not compute. i see that Ohtani would want a big market, esp with an asian market. i can see a potential of Ohtani making a whole lot of commercials. that is why NY, Dodgers, Chi, Seat and believe it Stl being in the running.

What are you talking about? Have you been avoiding the news?

New York is out. All the teams left are either on the west coast, the Cubs, and Rangers.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
What are you talking about? Have you been avoiding the news?

New York is out. All the teams left are either on the west coast, the Cubs, and Rangers.
i thought i read that bos and yank have a face to face mtg with his agent. i may be wrong in what i read.

yeah i read that the yank were out of it, but i was confuse with the article.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i thought i read that bos and yank have a face to face mtg with his agent. i may be wrong in what i read.

yeah i read that the yank were out of it, but i was confuse with the article.
dang, i guess i didn't read that article clearly. i can't find where that article is. this was before i went to sleep.....

however this is in line with what you mention.

Shohei Ohtani won't sign with New York Yankees

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
for me, that whole thing being a small market is does not compute. i see that Ohtani would want a big market, esp with an asian market. i can see a potential of Ohtani making a whole lot of commercials. that is why NY, Dodgers, Chi, Seat and believe it Stl being in the running.

Say wut, NY and Cards are long out.

Anywho. As far as the making of commercials and cashing in, it's hard to have mass market appeal with just a specific demographic as they are still the minority populace. You say asian but he's only going to appeal to Japanese Americans in terms of commercials cause he probably doesn't speak any english at all which is why guys like Ichiro Suzuki who is one of the greatest names in Japanese MLB players had no mass market commercial value cause for one, you got to be able to speak fluent english with on camera personality to match if you want to reach a wider crowd.

Last edited:

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
Considering they are attacking him, but made no mention of how terrible of a human being Chapman or Jose Reyes are. Pathetic

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Breaking down the seven finalists in the race to sign Shohei Ohtani
i
Chicago Cubs:Like the Dodgers, they're limited to $300,000 in bonus money, but they can offer Ohtani a first-rate, winning franchise that needs only an ace starting pitcher to go alongside all the young position player talent. Don't underestimate the ability of Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer to lure in the guy they want, similar to when they signed Jon Lester as a free agent before the 2015 season. And no manager is willing to move players around like Joe Maddon, so Ohtani could play some right field against right-handed pitchers with Jason Heyward shifting over to center.
[see link for additional breakdown]

Last edited by a moderator:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Considering they are attacking him, but made no mention of how terrible of a human being Chapman or Jose Reyes are. Pathetic
You don't know New York. It's not how they work. They will mock anyone regardless of race, sex, religion, ethnicity, etc. The Chicago media is nice compared to NYC. That's why people are paid a premium to work in NYC ... in most fields. It's a dog eat dog world in NYC.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Bulls going hard after that first pick.
That's why I don't really talk about the Bulls, but the potential top pick in the draft. Right now analysts are leaning towards Bagley ... but we'll see how the season shakes out.

IF the Bulls pick Bagley, next year we can have:

Wing: Markannen
Wing: Bagley
Center: Lopez (if he is not traded)
Wing/Guard: LaVine
Point Guard: Dunn

With some shrewd FA signings, this could be a quicker rebuild than expected. IF everything goes to plan, Dunn will be the biggest wild card. He really needs to improve his shot and stop turning the ball over. He's got some upside though.

The Bulls need to find more shooters.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Good news for the Bulls is at least they're this awful when they can still only drop one slot thanks to the draft lottery. Last thing they'd want happen is to get Av'd.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Good news for the Bulls is at least they're this awful when they can still only drop one slot thanks to the draft lottery. Last thing they'd want happen is to get Av'd.
Isn't the worst case scenario dropping to 4, assuming they have the worst record, or am I wrong on that?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Isn't the worst case scenario dropping to 4, assuming they have the worst record, or am I wrong on that?
You are correct. However, I think only once in the history of the lottery has two teams moved up in 1 year. Most likely, the Bulls will have a top 2 pick with the worst record in the NBA.

Right now, Bagley has the highest upside ... but Doncic wouldn't be a bad consolation. Porter, Ayton, Bamba, Young, Sexton, Bridges, Williams, Carter, and Knox are the potential lottery picks. It's a very top heavy draft. I'm sure there are some other Europeans that will be highly rated as well.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It looks like in 2007 Memphis fell to #4 and Sac fell in 2009. I didn't go back any further than that. Don't know if the odds have changed since then ( I know they are changing in 2019).

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
You don't know New York. It's not how they work. They will mock anyone regardless of race, sex, religion, ethnicity, etc. The Chicago media is nice compared to NYC. That's why people are paid a premium to work in NYC ... in most fields. It's a dog eat dog world in NYC.
Also: Cost of living.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I used to live in NYC and just really have no desire to move back for this reason. Can't imagine being an athlete there, talk about a nightmare.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Also: Cost of living.
It's a double edged sword. The money attracts talent. Talent demands money. Limited amount of space. Cost of living moves up. My mom still doesn't believe how much I paid for my apartment. It is ludicrous.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I used to live in NYC and just really have no desire to move back for this reason. Can't imagine being an athlete there, talk about a nightmare.
The media is mean. It takes a special kind of athlete to succeed in that city. Even after his first Super Bowl win, Giant fans called him Sling Blade.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The media is mean. It takes a special kind of athlete to succeed in that city. Even after his first Super Bowl win, Giant fans called him Sling Blade.

I love NYC for some of its features (museums, restaurants, architecture, etc) but it seems like the people there (making a generalization but I do not mean everyone) are dbags just to be dbags. I have traveled the world and NYC's population has been by far the most hostile and off-putting.

Reactions: RayP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad