Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Given how paranoid Angelos (Balt's owner) he is about whoever he trades Machado to turning around and trading Machado to the Yankees I seriously doubt Machado gets dealt. Angelos is going "to cut off the nose to spite his face" when it comes to Machado. Just wish the Angels had better prospects because Machado would be absolutely perfect for the Angels.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
If they trade for Machado and he walks in year its a fireable offense IMO

Eh, no. First of all, Hahn has done an amazing job during the first year of the rebuild.

Second, it really would depend what he gives up. If he gave up Giolito, Kopech or Hansen and he walked in a year...yeah that would be really bad. And that's why he won't do it.

If it was a package of 'second rate' prospects like Cease and Lopez, that could actually be recovered if they realized by June/July that he wasn't going to re-sign and they flipped him at the deadline. And when I call those guys second rate prospects, it's only compared to other Sox prospects. They're both either top 100 prospects or that caliber (Lopez is no longer considered a 'prospect').

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Cishek was a hell of a signing for the Cubs. Neither Cishek nor Morrow are on Davis’ level but 2 is better than 1. I’d still like to sign Davis and/or trade for Britton. It’s all about the bullpen these days. It’s pretty crazy too. Even last year when our bullpen was very hot and cold, Maddon trusted them more than the starters. Well, that being the case, load it up.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Eh, no. First of all, Hahn has done an amazing job during the first year of the rebuild.

Second, it really would depend what he gives up. If he gave up Giolito, Kopech or Hansen and he walked in a year...yeah that would be really bad. And that's why he won't do it.

If it was a package of 'second rate' prospects like Cease and Lopez, that could actually be recovered if they realized by June/July that he wasn't going to re-sign and they flipped him at the deadline. And when I call those guys second rate prospects, it's only compared to other Sox prospects. They're both either top 100 prospects or that caliber (Lopez is no longer considered a 'prospect').
even Lopez is a prospect i wouldn't move. but Balt will wait for a outta the park deal. this trade will not come cheap.

anyway this morning in the rumor page, it was saying that the yank and sox are out of the running . while the sox offered the best pkg of the 2nd tier prospects, it was good enuf for Balt.

so the sox offered the best pkg of any team and it wasn't good enuf........ that is in itself say it.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Ken Rosenthal said the Sox have already offered one of Giolito or Kopech, O’s choice. O’s want both. So it would probably be one of them plus those second rate guys you mentioned and it’s unlikely you’ll recover that kind of value at the deadline. Basically, they are going to pay a price for the first opportunity to sign him. I can see their logic but damn, they better get him signed if they do this or it can backfire in a lot of different ways.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Ken Rosenthal said the Sox have already offered one of Giolito or Kopech, O’s choice. O’s want both. So it would probably be one of them plus those second rate guys you mentioned and it’s unlikely you’ll recover that kind of value at the deadline. Basically, they are going to pay a price for the first opportunity to sign him. I can see their logic but damn, they better get him signed if they do this or it can backfire in a lot of different ways.
wow, i didn't know this. the last i read and only on the rumor page that the sox were offering 2nd tier prospects ....

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
wow, i didn't know this. the last i read and only on the rumor page that the sox were offering 2nd tier prospects ....

There's mixed reports on it. I personally doubt he offered either guy, but I don't think it's all 2nd tier either. Maybe Dunning (and I don't even wanna give him or Cease up) + say... Adams and Stephens. O's need arms.. and people around baseball know they can't develop pitching if their life dependent on it so why not trade with an org that is known to do it..

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
There's mixed reports on it. I personally doubt he offered either guy, but I don't think it's all 2nd tier either. Maybe Dunning (and I don't even wanna give him or Cease up) + say... Adams and Stephens. O's need arms.. and people around baseball know they can't develop pitching if their life dependent on it so why not trade with an org that is known to do it..
excellent pov. ref the bold, i like it.

however for this discussion, if the pkg for the sox is and was indeed the best pkg, what is Balt looking for. that is why i am saying that this is a fishing expedition by Balt or hopes that the White Sox will be desperate and offer more.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

This has already been debunked. Hahn made it clear yesterday when he said we have no intention of 'robbing peter to pay paul'.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The Orioles are probably better off waiting for the trading deadline at this point. Everyone knows Manny wants to see his free agency through. They're probably better off dealing him at the deadline, when some desperate contender that has a hole at SS or 3B overpays. Basically they'll be looking for a team to do what the Cubs did for Chapman in 2016.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This has already been debunked. Hahn made it clear yesterday when he said we have no intention of 'robbing peter to pay paul'.

Fair enough. When Rosenthal speaks, I believe him. He is very convincing though. That might have more to do with it than I’d like to believe.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
A's prospect suing White Sox for injury sustained.

I watched the replay of the injury... No one has any idea why the metal box was there. Wonder if he has a strong case to win.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Bulls 5-0 since Mirotic came back.

Like I said before Mirotic is good.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

This is type of situation the White Sox should be exploiting as rebuilding team

Can take on a bad contract or two around league for quality prospects (If Dodgers were to go that route) and then can potentially trade Kemp in a year when contract is expiring for some more prospects potentially

Also Kemp is still productive player and would be solid addition for White Sox in LF or RF (Depending on what happens with Garcia)

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

This is type of situation the White Sox should be exploiting as rebuilding team

Can take on a bad contract or two around league for quality prospects (If Dodgers were to go that route) and then can potentially trade Kemp in a year when contract is expiring for some more prospects potentially

Also Kemp is still productive player and would be solid addition for White Sox in LF or RF (Depending on what happens with Garcia)

exactly that is the main idea i would love the team to do. also as some poster did mention in passing last week, the club may not want to really go over their internal salary cap restriction , which i am thinking is a final cap around 90-100 mil.

so the next team who wants to lower their salary is the Yanks.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
What exactly do Sox have allocated at this point to team payroll

They traded away most of the high cost talent this past season

Well they already spent over $50 mil for Luis Robert - which probably came out of their 2018 payroll.

Beyond that - I guess you could consider this, but there's a few things to consider.

1) If you are swallowing $43 mil, you better be getting at least a top 20 MLB prospect back. They spent $50 mil on Robert, and he's currently #23, with thoughts that he could be top 5 a year from now. You would need a similar caliber of prospect back to do this.

2) The expectation among Sox fans is the Sox will spend big a year from now, possibly on Manny Machado. We don't want them compromising that possibility over Matt Kemp, do we?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Manny Machado on open market will price himself out of Sox range

So I have no hope that we will ever see him as a White Sox player especially since he shot down extension talk and the Yanks and others will be bidding on him as FA

I don't believe you need a top 20 prospect to take on Kemp and his contract since he is still a productive player and would upgrade Sox roster

Also the Sox could also parlay him into assets next offseason or season (Or even possibly during season) especially if they agree to retain some of the salary owed on him

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The Yankees just took on $295 mil for Giancarlo Stanton. I'm skeptical that they can turn around and sign Machado as well, especially with their overriding need being starting pitching.

Whichever team Machado signs with, it will go against the grain of their history. So the Sox are no different than other teams in that regard. The difference is, the Sox will have little to nothing committed to their payroll, and could afford Machado and still have an average or below average payroll for a few years at least.

As for him upgrading the Sox roster. That is 100% irrelevant. We aren't trying to win yet and his future is not here. I'm also skeptical that he could ever be a tradable asset to other teams.

If JR wants to do this, great. But I'm not expecting this nor will I call him cheap over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad