Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVI: Bulls Draft Lottery Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That Gordon Heyward injury might take 2 years to recover. He'll play next year, but it takes 2 full years to regain flexibility (at least what's allowed after surgery), strength, and trust from a dislocated ankle of that magnitude. Even then, I don't think he will ever be the same player. What a sad story. I feel terrible for him Thankfully, NBA contracts are fully guaranteed.

Yeah, that's a bad one.... there's no way he's ever the same player again. I don't think I've ever seen a single player with a similar injury become the player they were prior.

Last edited:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Yeah, that's a bad one.... there's no way he's ever the same player again. I don't think I've ever seen a single player with a similar injury become the player they were prior.

Good thing he got paid...not sure if it's guaranteed or not

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Just gotta take it one game at a time with the Cubs. In the offseason, obviously Davis is going to get a blank check. From there, I guess you keep Wilson, Edwards and maybe resign Duensing. I'd like to see guys like that as the last ones out of the pen though, need new 7th and 8th inning pitchers. Some of the Dodgers are free agents, Morrow and Watson. Just looking at the list of free agents, it's slim compared to recent years. If we lose Davis, we're f***ed.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Just gotta take it one game at a time with the Cubs. In the offseason, obviously Davis is going to get a blank check. From there, I guess you keep Wilson, Edwards and maybe resign Duensing. I'd like to see guys like that as the last ones out of the pen though, need new 7th and 8th inning pitchers. Some of the Dodgers are free agents, Morrow and Watson. Just looking at the list of free agents, it's slim compared to recent years. If we lose Davis, we're ****ed.

Not only bullpen, need new coaches. Pretty much 3rd year in a row we have had cold offense. I get it's top pitching in post season but this is bad. Plus majority of our lineup is really young still.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Not only bullpen, need new coaches. Pretty much 3rd year in a row we have had cold offense. I get it's top pitching in post season but this is bad. Plus majority of our lineup is really young still.

I'm with you on that. Who would you get rid of? Mallee, Bosio, Martinez, Strode?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Team is in the NLCS for the third year in a row, getting beat by the best team in baseball and we have people in here calling for a roster teardown, for coaches to be fired.....take a breath people.

Reactions: hawksrule

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I'm with you on that. Who would you get rid of? Mallee, Bosio, Martinez, Strode?

Start with Mallee... I mean they had a fairly good season, their SP was solid for the most part in playoffs, bullpen complete failure, and hitting was pathetic... Maybe clean house.

I don't think Maddon is going anywhere though. He makes some questionable calls but he also looks like a genius sometimes. Players coach too.

Team is in the NLCS for the third year in a row, getting beat by the best team in baseball and we have people in here calling for a roster teardown, for coaches to be fired.....take a breath people.

Might be a little "Trigger happy", but offense has been pretty stale the last 3 playoff runs.

I get it though, tweak the roster, maybe keep coaches, and get back to it.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Start with Mallee... I mean they had a fairly good season, their SP was solid for the most part in playoffs, bullpen complete failure, and hitting was pathetic... Maybe clean house.

I don't think Maddon is going anywhere though. He makes some questionable calls but he also looks like a genius sometimes. Players coach too.

Might be a little "Trigger happy", but offense has been pretty stale the last 3 playoff runs.

Maddon is one of those coaches that can get you to the playoffs as long as you have the talent. He sucks in the playoffs though. For that reason, I want Martinez gone. He needs a lieutenant that is going to step in and speak up, not a yes man. Granted, we have no clue what goes on in the dugout but bringing in Lackey and stuff like that reaks of Maddon getting too creative for no good reason. Bring in Ross to be that guy and let him be groomed to succeed Maddon.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Maddon is one of those coaches that can get you to the playoffs as long as you have the talent. He sucks in the playoffs though. For that reason, I want Martinez gone. He needs a lieutenant that is going to step in and speak up, not a yes man. Granted, we have no clue what goes on in the dugout but bringing in Lackey and stuff like that reaks of Maddon getting too creative for no good reason. Bring in Ross to be that guy and let him be groomed to succeed Maddon.
Maddon as Cubs managers has won the same amount of playoff games as Cubs managers between 1909 and 2014. Let's pump the breaks a bit here.

Does he make some questionable decisions? Sure. But that's not enough to run a guy with his amount of success out of town.

Reactions: Illinihockey

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Maddon as Cubs managers has won the same amount of playoff games as Cubs managers between 1909 and 2014. Let's pump the breaks a bit here.

Does he make some questionable decisions? Sure. But that's not enough to run a guy with his amount of success out of town.

No, I want to keep him. We just need to idiot proof the bullpen.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

I get it though, tweak the roster, maybe keep coaches, and get back to it.

Dude they won the World Series last year and beat Kershaw and Kluber in closeout games. They scored 31 runs in their 4 wins vs the Dodgers and 25 vs the Indians.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah, Maddon can sure wear on my nerves, but there is no way in hell anyone should bring up his firing. He has done tremendous things for this year, and a lot of what has happened in this series is not his fault. The players just aren't making any plays.

Also, if you pay attention across the MLB, pretty much every manager makes some questionable decisions. It's just a matter of whether or not their players bail them out. Even Roberts has done some questionable things, like batting Darvish last night. But, he got away with it and looks like a genius. And Roberts also has an extremely reliable pen to back him up, which Maddon does not. I literally trust nobody but Davis right now, and he can't pitch every inning of relief.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Don't you know that a new pitching coach would tell the bullpen to throw strikes, and a new hitting coach would tell Javy not to swing at so many pitches over his head.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I get it's one season AFTER winning a WS with pretty much the same squad. But still... This is just plain ugly:

The 2017 Cubs are one of 92 teams in the wild-card era to win a division series and reach the LCS round. Among that group, their current .162 playoff batting average, .251 playoff on-base percentage, and .262 playoff slugging percentage all rank last.

Playoff Stats Compared With Regular-Season Stats

STATMEDIAN LCS TEAM, 1995–20172017 CUBS
BAMinus 8%Minus 37%
OBPMinus 7%Minus 26%
SLGMinus 9%Minus 40%
OPSMinus 8%Minus 34%
K%Plus 18%Plus 36%
BB%Minus 1%Minus 16%
HR%Minus 3%Minus 53%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Must be a fluke

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I get it's one season AFTER winning a WS with pretty much the same squad. But still... This is just plain ugly:

The 2017 Cubs are one of 92 teams in the wild-card era to win a division series and reach the LCS round. Among that group, their current .162 playoff batting average, .251 playoff on-base percentage, and .262 playoff slugging percentage all rank last.

Playoff Stats Compared With Regular-Season Stats

BAMinus 8%Minus 37%
OBPMinus 7%Minus 26%
SLGMinus 9%Minus 40%
OPSMinus 8%Minus 34%
K%Plus 18%Plus 36%
BB%Minus 1%Minus 16%
HR%Minus 3%Minus 53%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Must be a fluke

I'd be interested to see this comparison against the Mets series, which is worse.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I just don't understand the argument you're trying to make, honestly.

The point is that saying that nothing needs to change is just lazy.

I mentioned maybe refresh the hitting coach and tweak some players and it's the end of the world.

Edit: Errrr... I guess I did use the term "clean house", that never included Maddon.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The point is that saying that nothing needs to change is just lazy.
Honestly, it looks more like a team slump at the worst possible time than anything else. Similar to what the Hawks did last year against the Preds. They played what was basically their worst hockey of the season at the worst possible time to do it... Cubs look to be doing much of the same. They couldn't hit a beach ball thrown down the middle right now, for whatever reason. Obviously credit has to go to the Dodgers entire pitching staff, to some degree, but the at bats have just looked ugly as a whole.

The bullpen obviously needs to change over there, as it's trash. That's the only thing I see that needs to change. There's not a single person in there that you can trust to get you one out, let alone 3 outs, with the exception of Davis.

The only other thing that needs to change is Maddon constantly overthinking things. He needs to just simplify things and let the players do what they're supposed to do.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Honestly, it looks more like a team slump at the worst possible time than anything else. Similar to what the Hawks did last year against the Preds. They played what was basically their worst hockey of the season at the worst possible time to do it... Cubs look to be doing much of the same. They couldn't hit a beach ball thrown down the middle right now, for whatever reason. Obviously credit has to go to the Dodgers entire pitching staff, to some degree, but the at bats have just looked ugly as a whole.

The bullpen obviously needs to change over there, as it's trash. That's the only thing I see that needs to change. There's not a single person in there that you can trust to get you one out, let alone 3 outs, with the exception of Davis.

The only other thing that needs to change is Maddon constantly overthinking things. He needs to just simplify things and let the players do what they're supposed to do.

And what did the Blackhawks do? They refreshed their roster, made some minor management changes, etc.

That's all I'm saying. People think I'm so obtuse recommending that maybe the hitting coach needs to a change (and maybe other secondary coaches), add some bp help, etc.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Good to know the only series that matter for the Cubs the last 3 years are the 2 they are going to lose, not the 6 they've won.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
So do nothing, roll out same crew, hope for the best, worked once.

End thread

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
And what did the Blackhawks do? They refreshed their roster, made some minor management changes, etc.

That's all I'm saying. People think I'm so obtuse recommending that maybe the hitting coach needs to a change (and maybe other secondary coaches), add some bp help, etc.

Yeah, I don't get it. I feel like you're getting hit with their wrath, lol. Theo will make some changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad