Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LIV: Cubs clinch the NL Central!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
8 walks for Cubs pitchers (of which 4 off the top of my head scored) vs 2 for the Reds.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
From this non-Cubs fan's perspective, that trade for J. Wilson has been a total bust. The guy has given up runs 9 out of 10 times I take a gander at the box score. The only time that he didn't himself? He gave up the hit that allowed the inherited runner(s) on base to score.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
From this non-Cubs fan's perspective, that trade for J. Wilson has been a total bust. The guy has given up runs 9 out of 10 times I take a gander at the box score. The only time that he didn't himself? He gave up the hit that allowed the inherited runner(s) on base to score.

I'm pretty sure all Cubs and non-Cubs fans would agree with this :laugh:

Doesn't mean he can't improve, because he certainly has the tools. He's had a huge issue with walks, and that was not the case in Detroit. So hopefully it's just a mechanics thing that needs to be fixed, but I'm not sure many people on the staff have the solution because walks have been a huge issue.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

i would disagree.... wouldn't a non-cub fan actually cheer for that trade in the now time ??

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I don't know why the Cubs didn't trade for Swarzak. They probably could have had him thrown in to the Q trade for nothing extra.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This is probably gonna be a 3 way race to the wire now. Someone better step up in the rotation.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Giolito to be called up Monday and start, Kopech to AAA. This may be happening faster than anyone expected. 2019 seems not to be out of the question for the Sox to push for a playoff spot, if most of these guys perform. Unlikely, yes, but not out of the question. Not to mention that they are probably getting a top 2 pick in the 2018 draft and a top 10 pick in 2019 to add to the mix.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Not impressed with Giolito's year in minors

Nearly a 5 ERA last I looked
Take anything that happened before mid-May with a massive grain of salt. He's thrown 2 7 inning No hitters this season, and has given up 6 ER combined in his last 6 starts . He's ready. He had to make mechanical adjustments over the last year, there is something called muscle memory. He even admitted he was in-between mechanically in early May. Most of that ERA was April and May. He has had some bumps in the road since then, but he has been MUCH better recently. His season ERA is now 4.50. That is 6IP 3ER. not bad, but not horrible either. It is actually impressive that he has gotten it that low, given that it was over 8 at the end of April.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Giolito has been very good after the all star break. Repeating his delivery again and is commanding his fastball. I think working with Coop will do wonders for him.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Any one willing to explain Javy Baez for me? This guy is baffling.

At the end if the season, he could be close to a 30HR / 80RBIs / .270AVG / .310OBP ... possibly a gold glove winning 2B / good SS.

For most players, that's star status. And then you watch some of his at bats, it's like, "what's he thinking?" And it's not like Javy Baez doesn't come up big in big moments. He has plenty of big moments. He's just a weird player to watch ... and I like Javy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad