OT:What is Atlanta United FC doing different that the Thrashers did not do?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I think that depends on the city. The Penguins are probably 2nd only behind the Steelers in Pittsburgh, Detroit might be more of a hockey city despite having all 4.

It also depends on the situation. One can argue that the Pens are that popular because they've won a number of cups in the last decade including the last 2. I do agree with Detroit, however, imagine if the Pistons or the Tigers with multiple championships over the next few years. Would the Wings still be #2?

Can a Chicago fan chime in on where the Hawks rank? Total guess, but despite their success, I'd go:
1)Bears
2)Cubs
3)Bulls or Hawks?
4)Bulls or Hawks?
5)White Sox

Total guess, though.

Mike in MN

Mr Bandgeek
Nov 25, 2008
Gunflint Trail
I'm pretty sure the Wild outrank the Timberwolves.

How about the Avalanche and Nuggets? South Stars and Mavericks? Flyers and 76ers? Caps and Wizards?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think that depends on the city. The Penguins are probably 2nd only behind the Steelers in Pittsburgh, Detroit might be more of a hockey city despite having all 4.
So besides the Red Wings going through a rebuilding phase how come they are not drawing in their new arena? Every time I see their home game highlights there are a lot of empty seats.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
So besides the Red Wings going through a rebuilding phase how come they are not drawing in their new arena? Every time I see their home game highlights there are a lot of empty seats.
those are sold. those are corporate seats that are not filled.

SCBlueLiner

Dec 27, 2013
The NHL is incredibly popular in areas with NHL teams. Hockey may not exist in Alabama or or Iowa but it's HUGE in places like Pittsburgh, Boston, San Jose, etc.

NHL may be the 4th most popular sports league in the USA, but it's #2-3 in every NHL city (it'll never surpass NFL anywhere).
Iowa? You might want to look up where all the USHL teams are located and then retract that statement. Also of note, do you know where the first organized hockey game was played in the USA? Iowa, back in 1884.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
ATL United has the shiny new franchise effect, the brand new stadium, and an extremely low cost to entry (both from a ticket perspective and a concessions perspective).

The other thing I’ll note is that there is a large Latino and African American base there, as well as a growing international population based on the increased number of startups and the economic growth in Atlanta. That population leans more to soccer fandom.

And yes it doesn’t help that the Thrasher ownership treated the franchise like crap, but the above are more prominent factors imo.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
ATL United has the shiny new franchise effect, the brand new stadium, and an extremely low cost to entry (both from a ticket perspective and a concessions perspective).

The other thing I’ll note is that there is a large Latino and African American base there, as well as a growing international population based on the increased number of startups and the economic growth in Atlanta. That population leans more to soccer fandom.

And yes it doesn’t help that the Thrasher ownership treated the franchise like crap, but the above are more prominent factors imo.
Black Americans really aren't that in to soccer.

Those from Caribbean countries might be but not black people as a whole.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Black Americans really aren't that in to soccer.

Those from Caribbean countries might be but not black people as a whole.
Again, I have a ton of African American friends in Atlanta having lived there for 4 years, and they all love ATL United.

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
Accessibility. It costs 5 dollars to kick a soccer ball around your yard with your friends at a cookout. It costs sticks, shin pads, skates, ice time, a helmet, and gloves to do the same for hockey.

SCBlueLiner

Dec 27, 2013
If you are at a backyard cookout in the south you are more than likely playing touch football. Southerners love (American) football.

How much does a ticket to an Atlanta soccer game cost? What are concession prices, etc?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I'm going to venture a guess that, in cities with all 4 leagues present, that this statement is completely false. And the cities where there are 3, the NHL is a distant 3rd.
In Detroit, Chicago, Philly, Boston, DC, St. Paul, Denver their NHL teams are arguably 2nd depending on the team's success at the time.
Only 4 team city where NHL is an afterthought is Dallas, Phoenix, Miami, LA.

Then there are smaller markets or markets with less competition that embrace hockey very well. Pittsburgh, San Jose, Buffalo, St. Louis, Columbus.

Again, it's about location. For example, hockey is incredibly popular in Pittsburgh, however, drive an hour south into West Virginia and no one knows what hockey is.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
In Detroit, Chicago, Philly, Boston, DC, St. Paul, Denver their NHL teams are arguably 2nd depending on the team's success at the time.
Only 4 team city where NHL is an afterthought is Dallas, Phoenix, Miami, LA.

Then there are smaller markets or markets with less competition that embrace hockey very well. Pittsburgh, San Jose, Buffalo, St. Louis, Columbus.

Again, it's about location. For example, hockey is incredibly popular in Pittsburgh, however, drive an hour south into West Virginia and no one knows what hockey is.

There is no way the Hawks are discussed more than the Cubs and the Bruins more than the Sox or the Celtics. And, from what I hear, neither the Rangers nor the Islanders barely get a blip in the NY media.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If you are at a backyard cookout in the south you are more than likely playing touch football. Southerners love (American) football.

How much does a ticket to an Atlanta soccer game cost? What are concession prices, etc?

Ticket prices are among the highest in MLS. The MBS concession prices are the cheapest anywhere in pro sports.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Bruins have almost every year higher TV ratings than Celtics.

Even on a year where the Celtics have done well, like this year? huh.

Then I stand corrected (though.....there is no way the Bruins get nearly has much coverage as the Sox).

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
There is no way the Hawks are discussed more than the Cubs and the Bruins more than the Sox or the Celtics. And, from what I hear, neither the Rangers nor the Islanders barely get a blip in the NY media.

Bruins are firmly 3rd in Boston, and yes ahead of the Celtics. Case in point:

game 1 of 2010 Finals between Celtics and Lakers did a 19.1 rating in Boston.
game 1 of 2011 Cup Finals between Bruins and Van did a 25.5 rating in Boston.

in Boston/New England, the Red Sox are religion.

The region is also completely hockey crazy from midgets all the way up to the Bruins. HS hockey is huge, its the home of elite NCAA hockey, the AHL thrives in multiple cities and the Bruins are the Bruins. If you are talking about all age and skill levels, hockey is the #1 sport in New England, easily.

Up until 2001 it was always Sox 1, Bruins 2...the lone exception being the 80s Celtics with Bird. They ruled the roost.

The emergence of the Patriots Dynasty has put the Pats in 2nd (time will tell if it lasts beyond Brady and Bill).

but current rankings are:

Sox
Pats
Bs
Cs

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
That didn't answer my question. I will then assume I could get into a game for about $5.

I think he assumed you'd just Google the question. Took two seconds.

Atlanta United’s season-ticket prices will range from $20 per game to $225 per game, and the sales process will start next week for Founders’ Club members in the order they joined.
Atlanta United’s most expensive tickets will be found in the SunTrust Club section of Mercedes-Benz Stadium at midfield. The total cost for 18 home games there is $4,050.
The least expensive tickets will be in the “Supporter’s” section, which will be behind a goal in front of a wall of windows framing the city skyline, or on the other end of the stadium behind the opposite goal. The total cost for 18 home games in those sections is $360 per season ticket.

Atlanta United releases season ticket prices for 2017

If you're still curious about the concession prices, there's an entire thread on that already.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
From what I can tell, Atlanta United is not getting evicted from their stadium. That seems different from the Thrashers

Authur Blank is willing to spend the money to ensure that Atlanta United will be a contender. They just spent $15 million on to acquire Ezequiel Barco.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
That didn't answer my question. I will then assume I could get into a game for about $5.

Based on my experience last season, you're not getting into a United game for anywhere close to face value, unless you're already a STH. My extra tickets I couldn't use always sold quickly, and at a premium, usually double face or more, depending on the day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad