GDT: OT: Playoffs whatever..

Status
Not open for further replies.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I don't hate the Blackhawks but 3 Stanley Cup is enough. Same for the Kings, I want a new Stanley Cup champion.

Let's go Blues and Sharks!!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I used to think Quenneville was the best coach in the league.

Then, I started paying attention to the Hawks closer. I guess it really is Babcock.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I used to think Quenneville was the best coach in the league.

Then, I started paying attention to the Hawks closer. I guess it really is Babcock.

Don't get too excited yet. I watched him in detroit a lot and he had super HOF dman on his teams. Subban may be good, but lidstrom is (to me) 3rd best Dman to play the game after Orr and Bourque in the modern era. Better than robinson, better than coffey, better than chelios, better than huddey. This is the major reason he left detroit, their team is a shadow of itself. If you remove Larkin from the wings they are finishing with us and looking forward to the lottery.

If I see him get Toronto a cup, I'll be a believer. He has all the rope one can handle right now, and he allowed the leafs to do a proper rebuild. So he gets a pass for another 2 years, you know because of 5 year plans, then he has to start getting the leaf to the 2nd round or better. Otherwise he is in the same boat as everyone else. Good coach that had great players. Look at Byslma. Babcock is not MT bad, but he is far from the great hockey mind everyone thinks, like Burke Toronto will expose how good he really is.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Yes, but here in Montreal we have stability on our PP.

What does Tampa have?

A competent coaching staff who knows how to coach a successful PP.

It's mind blowing that the Habs PP as been pure suckage for 3 straight seasons now and yet no one has lost a job on the coaching staff over it.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
A competent coaching staff who knows how to coach a successful PP.

It's mind blowing that the Habs PP as been pure suckage for 3 straight seasons now and yet no one has lost a job on the coaching staff over it.

It's even more mind blowing when you have one of the top 5 offensive dmen duo in the league and two 30 goals scorer. I mean as a PP coach if you can't get the PP going with Subban, Markov, Patch and AG you should be fired.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Would be a fun final for sure. Can't go wrong with either ovy or big joe winning their first cup.

Would be great for Trotz too, who imo doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he never won.
Always hear about Babs and Quenneville, but to me Trotz is probably higher.
What he was able to do with very weak teams in Nashville was impressive. Always thought he'd do great with a more offensive team, so would be good for him to get that recognition.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's even more mind blowing when you have one of the top 5 offensive dmen duo in the league and two 30 goals scorer. I mean as a PP coach if you can't get the PP going with Subban, Markov, Patch and AG you should be fired.

Watching the Caps and Lightning on the PP is beautiful and we actually watch them get genuine opportunities to score goals or actually score them. In today's NHL when you get 5+ pp situations per game would it not be imperative to have the best pp coached team? Our coach does not value goal scoring and creativity so he sticks with the same style of pp, passes around the outside back to the point, shot/low percentage that it gets through and a 5'4" screen in front.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I like the Blues, good goaltending,D, size and clutch goal scoring. I never thought they had a chance against the mighty hawks and it's not over yet but at least it will have to go to 7. They have been getting crap calls against them. I often daydream about a Habs team built like St Louis playing in the eastern conference. It would be beautiful.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Don't get too excited yet. I watched him in detroit a lot and he had super HOF dman on his teams. Subban may be good, but lidstrom is (to me) 3rd best Dman to play the game after Orr and Bourque in the modern era. Better than robinson, better than coffey, better than chelios, better than huddey. This is the major reason he left detroit, their team is a shadow of itself. If you remove Larkin from the wings they are finishing with us and looking forward to the lottery.

If I see him get Toronto a cup, I'll be a believer. He has all the rope one can handle right now, and he allowed the leafs to do a proper rebuild. So he gets a pass for another 2 years, you know because of 5 year plans, then he has to start getting the leaf to the 2nd round or better. Otherwise he is in the same boat as everyone else. Good coach that had great players. Look at Byslma. Babcock is not MT bad, but he is far from the great hockey mind everyone thinks, like Burke Toronto will expose how good he really is.
Don't forget he also took a weak Anaheim team to finals and lost in 7. So he's had success with a weaker roster too.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Shaw has been great for Chicago in this series. He had a 3 point night last night, but boy that was a dumb penalty for him to take. Zero reason for it. Plus, he had been warned, so extra stupid because now the refs are looking out for him.

Chicago lost a ton of quality depth when they traded Saad and Sharp. What young players they have they are not replacing that offensive depth. It doesn't help that Toews and Hossa aren't producing either.

Rumours are they may have to move Shaw this summer for cap reasons as well, so slowly that Cup team is being disassembled. Who knows maybe that 2018 2nd will be higher than we think it is.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Shaw has been great for Chicago in this series. He had a 3 point night last night, but boy that was a dumb penalty for him to take. Zero reason for it. Plus, he had been warned, so extra stupid because now the refs are looking out for him.

Chicago lost a ton of quality depth when they traded Saad and Sharp. What young players they have they are not replacing that offensive depth. It doesn't help that Toews and Hossa aren't producing either.

Rumours are they may have to move Shaw this summer for cap reasons as well, so slowly that Cup team is being disassembled. Who knows maybe that 2018 2nd will be higher than we think it is.

Blackhawks had to do some dissassembling after they won in 2010. That being said, Toews is going to have to give them a good game 5 and, quite frankly, do much better than he did this year in general. I don't care how many ''intangibles'' you have, $10.5m is a lot of money for a guy who did not even hit 60 points and looked pretty disinterested for a lot of the season. Maybe he's just tired from playing as much hockey as he has........

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Blackhawks had to do some dissassembling after they won in 2010. That being said, Toews is going to have to give them a good game 5 and, quite frankly, do much better than he did this year in general. I don't care how many ''intangibles'' you have, $10.5m is a lot of money for a guy who did not even hit 60 points and looked pretty disinterested for a lot of the season. Maybe he's just tired from playing as much hockey as he has........

I agree. At 10.5 millions leadership, defensive play, faceoffs, .... add as many intangibles as you want it's not enough. At this salary you need to be productive offensively either in the season or in the playoffs.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Toews is still worth the contract simply for the fact that he is too important for them to let go of. Just like Kopitar.

Historically his playoff production makes the price easier to swallow.

What they lost in Sharp, Saad they got back in Anisimov, Panarin, Shaw playing a bigger role and Dano to trade for Ladd.

Perhaps more concerning is the decline of Hossa; Toews' line is going to look quite barren without even Shaw next season.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Toews is still worth the contract simply for the fact that he is too important for them to let go of. Just like Kopitar.

Historically his playoff production makes the price easier to swallow.

What they lost in Sharp, Saad they got back in Anisimov, Panarin, Shaw playing a bigger role and Dano to trade for Ladd.

Perhaps more concerning is the decline of Hossa; Toews' line is going to look quite barren without even Shaw next season.

Hossa will be 38 next season. The end is close.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Shaw's playing his last games as a Hawk.

No one is going to take Bickell's contract without the Hawks giving up a 1st and/or a good prospect, not a mid-level one. They had to give up Stephen Johns just to get rid of Patrick Sharp and that was to a divisional rival.

Shaw's a goner with Panarin hitting his bonuses.

Toews at $10.5m is already looking bad. The Hawks team isn't going to look too good as they start getting hit with recapture penalties on Hossa's deal (IIRC). I doubt they'll even be able to re-sign Panarin next summer as he'll easily command over $6-million at this point.

And their defense is already bad after the top-3. There's a huge drop off from Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson down to Rozsival, van Riemsdyk, Svedberg and Rundblad. Gustafsson should be in the lineup, but Q's gotta make room for Rozsival.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
God damn lazy russians Kucherov, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov and Ovechkin

Can't win with those guys.

We need a better russian scout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad