OT: Chargers back to San Diego??

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Was always a terrible idea, as was moving the Rams back there.

The only NFL team LA would ever really support well, with a new stadium or not, is the Raiders. In fact, I would wager that the Rams and Chargers are 3rd and 4th down the NFL pecking order in LA.

1. Raiders
2. Cowboys
3. Rams
4. Chargers

Wouldn't even be surprised if the Steelers (working class America's team) are ahead of the Chargers.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Never going to happen. The Chargers Ownership has its sights on the new NFL campus-like Stadium in Inglewood, which will raise the value of the franchise. They aren't going back to a 50+ year old stadium in smallish San Diego with no hopes of getting a replacement there. This sounds like a Rams ownership media disinformation campaign hoping the Chargers would consider moving back. Not gonna happen!!!;)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i really wish the nfl had 2 la teams, a san diego team and a st.louis team, instead of jacksonville and new orleans

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, the NFL already go their dough for the relocation, so I think that the other owners are fine. That being said, the Chargers' future in LA is already doomed in my book. There are really mostly two types of NFL fans in LA:

1) People that just wanted a team back, and
2) People that just wanted the Raiders back.

Group #1 was already happy with the Rams, so they didn't need or want a second team. And Group #2 was mad at the Chargers, as their act of moving in blocked the team they wanted from moving in. In other words, a very shaky ground to try to establish a franchise in. It's actually shocking that the NFL and the Chargers are surprised by this.

If the Chargers aren't going to be in LA for long, I'd venture a guess that they'd move to a new market, like San Antonio or OKC or Portland, before heading back to San Diego. I think that ship has sailed.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Never going to happen. The Chargers Ownership has its sights on the new NFL campus-like Stadium in Inglewood, which will raise the value of the franchise. They aren't going back to a 50+ year old stadium in smallish San Diego with no hopes of getting a replacement there. This sounds like a Rams ownership media disinformation campaign hoping the Chargers would consider moving back. Not gonna happen!!!;)

More like the Raiders ownership. :laugh: If you believe the article they wanted to go back to LA and hands down would have dominated the market but got out maneuvered by Kroenke and Jerry Jones. They're already planning to market to their LA fans and that alone should be interesting.

Can you imagine being a Chargers fan and getting THAT phone call from a ticket rep?

Yep.

Bigger question is could the league even force them to go back??? I seriously doubt it. And the people in San Diego won't take them back as long as Dean Spanos owns the team.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Given the NFL's timeline, the way the Chargers have been received in LA, and the way San Diego fans will probably take to the idea of taking the team back, I wouldn't be tremendously surprised if Spanos is told to eat losses for the next five years, until we introduce the London Chargers.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The league is just embarrassed how both teams have been received or lack there of so far. So it's just a way of dealing with PR in my view.

I don't believe the league can force the Chargers back to San Diego. They left there because the stadium is inadequate. Sending them back there without a new one being a sure thing and the league can lose the stadium leverage game pretty much forever so they don't want to set that precedent.

I think if things don't work out in LA, they'll just park there until they find a new city/state to build an stadium move them there. Kronkoe wouldn't mind letting Spanos out of the lease

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That would be hard for the NFL to pull off. If the Chargers' owner doesn't want to go back to San Degio the NFL can't force them too with out risking legal action. I mean they couldn't stop Al Davis from moving the Raiders.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Was always a terrible idea, as was moving the Rams back there.

The only NFL team LA would ever really support well, with a new stadium or not, is the Raiders. In fact, I would wager that the Rams and Chargers are 3rd and 4th down the NFL pecking order in LA.

1. Raiders
2. Cowboys
3. Rams
4. Chargers

Wouldn't even be surprised if the Steelers (working class America's team) are ahead of the Chargers.

Nothing wrong with the Rams going back to LA. The Raiders belong in Oakland and the Cardinals should have remained in St. Louis.

:jets

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't think there's any shot in hell that the Chargers go running back to San Diego like that. Unless they're only pulling like 20,000 people a game then that might be a cause for concern. San Diego really... really... REALLY needs to get a new stadium.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
They belong in SD ... Air Coryell was the most exciting football to watch back in the day, loved 'em ....

817d4fe007027952f2343000574187a9.jpg

Reactions: Isles72

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
“I’ve heard no discussion of that,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said. “We are committed to and confident of the long-term success of two teams in Los Angeles.”

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Chargers back to San Diego just until the stadium is done in Los Angeles then it is straight back to LA kind like the Raiders in Oakland until the Stadium is done in Las Vegas .

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I haven't followed how the Chargers are handling pre-season tickets in their temporary home vs, but I'd guess a lot of season ticket holders of other teams wish they didn't have to pay for preseason games as part of the STH deal.

Still.... they couldn't sell 27K for a regular season game.

The $100 charge just to park in the tailgate area didn't help either.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
“I’ve heard no discussion of that,†NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said. “We are committed to and confident of the long-term success of two teams in Los Angeles.â€

What do you think an NFL representative is going to say? "Yes, NFL front office is concerned with how things have gone since the relocation and is looking into the options it has, including forcing a relocation back to San Diego."

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
And if I were a franchise owner it wouldn't be my LA team moving away. No matter what the attendance figures, the franchise is way more valuable in LA than San Diego.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad