OT: Chargers back to San Diego??

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
no way. la should have 2 teams. it can support it

LA to me seems like a fairweather sports town. Only way the city should have 2 teams is if they had 2 Stadiums at opposite sides of the city(LA is such a spread out city, chances are you will get more people showing up for the Chargers if they were in a different location and that community felt like they had a better link to them)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
IMO the Chargers are actually in a pretty good position. If LA doesn't eventually work out for them the franchise is easily moveable to somewhere else since the Chargers don't have a financial interest in the stadium and Kroenke would probably be happy to let them exit any lease so he has LA to himself.

Can't foresee anything like that possibly happening until the Chargers have put in at least a couple years at the new stadium which is slated to open in 2020.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
And if I were a franchise owner it wouldn't be my LA team moving away. No matter what the attendance figures, the franchise is way more valuable in LA than San Diego.

Not if very few in LA care about the team. Just not sure LA is a great NFL town.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
LA doesn't really care about pro football much to the chagrin of the NFL, but it's a huge market, so the NFL will shove football down their throat whether they like it or not. LA is mostly a basketball and baseball town. I would venture a guess that UCLA and USC football is more popular than the NFL.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
LA doesn't really care about pro football much to the chagrin of the NFL, but it's a huge market, so the NFL will shove football down their throat whether they like it or not. LA is mostly a basketball and baseball town. I would venture a guess that UCLA and USC football is more popular than the NFL.

Put the Raiders there and you'd be surprised.

The only reason why Al Davis went back to Oakland was because he couldn't get the LA Coluseum Commission to reduce the capacity (from 93k+) and upgrade the facility with luxury boxes and suites that other more modern NFL stadiums enjoyed. He was offered a new stadium at Hollywood Park (where the Rams' stadium will open in 2020) but he had to take a second team in to share the stadium with as a concession which he refused to do.

Which the latter has a bit of irony due to the Raiders and Chargers attempt to get the league to accept a plan for a joint use facility built for the two of them as opposed to the Rams returning.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I remember the backlash I got when I said LA wouldn't support 2 teams. There was one guy who after the Chargers and Raiders unveiled their joint plan said that LA could support all three.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
I don't think there's any shot in hell that the Chargers go running back to San Diego like that. Unless they're only pulling like 20,000 people a game then that might be a cause for concern. San Diego really... really... REALLY needs to get a new stadium.

Did you see the Chiefs game? In a 27,000 seat stadium that I'm not even sure was sold out, there had to be at least 6-7,000 Chief fans. Even if it was "sold out" the stadium was empty in large parts.

The Chargers are in huge trouble there. Huge.

Should of moved the Jags to L.A and the Chargers to Vegas.

I apologize for the grammar Nazism, but it's "should've", not "should of".

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Los Angeles' mayor just came out the other day and said his city would've been happy with just the Rams. Everything about this move has been so bad, embarrassing, and poorly thought out. Maybe one day LA will have a love affair with the Chargers, but I doubt it.

And frankly I don't know if the new stadium will have that big an impact. I know the Coliseum is giant boring bowl, but right now LA is supposed to be in the honeymoon phase again with the Rams and showing up even if the stadium is in a junkyard. And they're not

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
The NFL wants them back in San Diego. Honestly I believe the league will try to low key sabotage them in LA

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
The problem was in the first place, was that LA wasn't a football hotbed in the first place. There's a reason why teams have went in and out of that city for years. So what was the point of having TWO teams there if they struggle to fill both stadiums?

I had a feeling the Chargers would struggle to fill a small stadium. It's an embarrassment to the League as they've been shoving the Los Angeles narrative down our throats for years. LA isn't a pro football city, if anything it's a college football city if anything.

Moving back to San Diego would be ideal, but that would mean the city would have to budge and accept a new stadium. If not, then they have to seriously consider a new market. Damn shame to what's happening to this franchise.

NickWIHockey

Jan 3, 2013
Port Washington, WI
Am I surprised at this? not at all. theres a reason the Rams and Raiders left in the 90s, the support just wasn't there. The Rams in LA makes sense, at least from a historic perspective (although the Rams actually started in Cleveland). The Chargers were always going to be the stepchild, the Clippers to the Raiders or Rams, Lakers. The Chargers should go back to San Diego, imo. have the Nfl cover most of the costs of a new stadium, as a "making Whole' gesture

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Seriously, if Spanos charged reasonable price for tickets and parking, Chargers would have at least created some good will in the LA market and help create new fans.

What do they do? Charge absurd prices and make the games unaffordable. They do not get it. People do not like going to NFL games anymore. NFL experience is better on TV.

IslesFan2017

May 29, 2017
I really think that the Chargers should never have moved to Los Angeles, which is how most people admittedly feel. Unfortunately, I don't think that San Diego would accept the Chargers back unless the Spanos family sold.
Although I have heard that some NFL owners didn't want the Raiders back in Los Angeles, that would have been far more successful than having the Chargers in Los Angeles, with the Rams at least having some history in Los Angeles, which gives their return to Los Angeles more logic.
It's sad what has happening in the final years of Philip Rivers' career and this feel like it could be a 1-15, 2-14 kind of disastrous season for them.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
And why hasn't the NFL established a firm hold of LA? What exactly is it with the psyche of the fans there? You have other huge metro areas like Chicago and NY where football is king. It became an obsession in Pittsburgh and Philly. What exactly are they not getting in LA?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
And why hasn't the NFL established a firm hold of LA? What exactly is it with the psyche of the fans there? You have other huge metro areas like Chicago and NY where football is king. It became an obsession in Pittsburgh and Philly. What exactly are they not getting in LA?

The tough thing right now is that you have a generation of people in Los Angeles who grew up without having a team. A lot of people either followed other teams and/or learned to do other things on Sundays. In particular, the Lakers have gotten the Sunday slot at Staples Center for as long as I can remember. Others latched onto USC during their recent run.

It's one thing to grow up with the Dodgers/Lakers/etc ingrained with your experience. But it's another thing to suddenly have a couple teams relocate and expect a fan base to materialize almost overnight. Mix in the Rams having a mediocre season last year and the Chargers getting off to a bad start and it's not a great mix with a fickle fan base. Especially with LA being a big Raiders town. Relocating a long time rival in the Chargers was going to be a tough sell in the short term.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

The reason why the Rams (and lesser extent Raiders) moved originally wasn't lack of support but stadium issues. Since the NFL tv rights are all nationally based and shared being in a large market isn't as advantageous as it is in other sports. The Rams played in a 50,000 seat baseball facility that was quickly falling behind other stadiums in terms of revenue. The Raiders played in the Coliseum, which to be frank was outdated by NFL standards when the Rams moved out 15 years earlier. Al Davis was a terrible business person and was sold a bill of good by the LA sports authority to move there.

California then (as is now) was at the forefront of refusing to pay for new stadiums with public money. As a result St. Louis made a an offer to the Rams for a new stadium for free and they took it. The NFL approved assuming they would still have the Raiders in LA. Then Al a Davis took Oakland's offer to renovate that stadium and move the team back.

Ironically it was the Raiders lawsuit against the league to move to LA in the first place that left the league powerless to stop both teams from leaving 15 years later.

Also, it is a bit odd people now say The Raiders would do fine if they moved to LA now, because the Raiders in LA the first go around was a struggle from day 1. The team should have never moved there to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->