Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
The age and experience of North Bay is starting to show and its exposing Oshawa.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
It’s like the Gens mailed it in before they got off the bus. Completely unexpected. Unless a miracle happens today, hopefully they show up for game 7 tomorrow.
I’m still cheering for you guys as I hate north bay more lol but this is unreal. If there is a reverse sweep there has to be some firing of coaching staff and lots of moves made in the off season

All the pressure on Oshawa for game 7. In front of the home crowd- trying to move on after being up 3-0, also north bays best player could be back.

This is when that line of sennecke roobroeck and Ritchie really needs to step up

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I’m still cheering for you guys as I hate north bay more lol but this is unreal. If there is a reverse sweep there has to be some firing of coaching staff and lots of moves made in the off season

All the pressure on Oshawa for game 7. In front of the home crowd- trying to move on after being up 3-0, also north bays best player could be back.

This is when that line of sennecke roobroeck and Ritchie really needs to step up
Personally, I’m a Bulldogs fan still following playoffs. It doesn’t matter to me who wins but I want to see good games.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Wot? Fire the coach of the year? A reverse sweep would not be good, but that is a ridiculous response.
Happened in basketball with the raptors lol!!

Something has to change if it happens. That’s worse than Windsor losing in 4 to Kitchener last year

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
No, it's not.
A reverse sweep is unreal. When was the last time an OHL team even did that? I know the kings did it a while back in the nhl but I’m not sure for the OHL. Also in the NBA it has NEVER been done.

Not to compare sports but it’s very rare obviously

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
A reverse sweep is unreal. When was the last time an OHL team even did that? I know the kings did it a while back in the nhl but I’m not sure for the OHL. Also in the NBA it has NEVER been done.

Uh. It happened to Kingston in 2014 lmao. Blew 3-0 lead vs Peterborough.

The most recent though is Guelph coming back from 3-0 vs London. Should they have fired Hunter after it?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

The Petes did it against Kingston in the first round in 2014. The Frontenacs won the first three games and Peterborough came back and won the next four to win the series.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The Petes did it against Kingston in the first round in 2014. The Frontenacs won the first three games and Peterborough came back and won the next four to win the series.
I remember that. Is that the last one that happened? 10 years ago in the first round?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Uh. It happened to Kingston in 2014 lmao. Blew 3-0 lead vs Peterborough.

The most recent though is Guelph coming back from 3-0 vs London. Should they have fired Hunter after it?
I knew about Kingstons I wasn’t sure if it happened in the 10 years since.

Lol no it’s Dale hunter he’s brought them several championships

My argument is that a 8th seed that shouldn’t have been an 8th seed (remember the last few games to where it led up to- I think Kitchener was the 4 or 5 spot then dropped) sweeping the #1 team with a crap goalie isn’t as bad as a reverse sweep where north bay hasn’t had their starting goalie or best player for the whole playoffs

They were about 2 minutes away I believe from sweeping north bay and going to the finals. And ever since it’s just gone down the toilet.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

My argument is that a 8th seed that shouldn’t have been an 8th seed (remember the last few games to where it led up to- I think Kitchener was the 4 or 5 spot then dropped) sweeping the #1 team with a crap goalie isn’t as bad as a reverse sweep where north bay hasn’t had their starting goalie or best player for the whole playoffs

They were about 2 minutes away I believe from sweeping north bay and going to the finals. And ever since it’s just gone down the toilet.

The gens D without Punnet is a bit weak for the conference finals

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Wot? Fire the coach of the year? A reverse sweep would not be good, but that is a ridiculous response.
Agreed, that’s an absurd overreaction. Would it be disappointing to lose in game 7 after being up 3-0? No question, that’s obvious. But let’s step back here for a second. Oshawa has one of the leagues youngest teams and we’re not even supposed to be contenders this year, yet have the chance to play game 7 of the conference finals. You don’t fire your coach or make drastic changes because of a bad series loss. The OHL isn’t like the NHL where you completely alter your roster after a bad season. They can return most of the team and have a chance to learn from this. Remember north bay lost to Ptbo last year in the eastern conference final in game 7. They stayed the course and had a good trade deadline this year as this was their scheduled year to go for a long run with their older team. These are also teenagers for the most part remember, emotional swings aren’t uncommon. Is Oshawa as bad as they’ve been the last 3? No. Same with north bay, they weren’t as bad as they looked the first three games. I won’t sugar coat today’s game, it was a bad one for sure.

The gens D without Punnet is a bit weak for the conference finals
It’s just very young. 1 04, 2 05’s and 3 06’s. Shows how good these guys are to begin with they were able to get here with a team made up primarily of 17-18 year olds.

Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Agreed, that’s an absurd overreaction. Would it be disappointing to lose in game 7 after being up 3-0? No question, that’s obvious. But let’s step back here for a second. Oshawa has one of the leagues youngest teams and we’re not even supposed to be contenders this year, yet have the chance to play game 7 of the conference finals. You don’t fire your coach or make drastic changes because of a bad series loss. The OHL isn’t like the NHL where you completely alter your roster after a bad season. They can return most of the team and have a chance to learn from this. Remember north bay lost to Ptbo last year in the eastern conference final in game 7. They stayed the course and had a good trade deadline this year as this was their scheduled year to go for a long run with their older team. These are also teenagers for the most part remember, emotional swings aren’t uncommon. Is Oshawa as bad as they’ve been the last 3? No. Same with north bay, they weren’t as bad as they looked the first three games. I won’t sugar coat today’s game, it was a bad one for sure.

It’s just very young. 1 04, 2 05’s and 3 06’s. Shows how good these guys are to begin with they were able to get here with a team made up primarily of 17-18 year olds.

Nothing to really dispute here, but you omitted some things. The 2004-05 born came into the league at the same time, so age is not a factor in experience there; and NB is playing with 6-‘06s, including the goaltender.
The fact remains the gens D is a bit weak without Punnet.

Reactions: 190 is almost 206

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Nothing to really dispute here, but you omitted some things. The 2004-05 born came into the league at the same time, so age is not a factor in experience there; and NB is playing with 6-‘06s, including the goaltender.
The fact remains the gens D is a bit weak without Punnet.
Very true, I agree north bay has some good young players as well, but with a healthy Romani, north bay’s top 6 forwards are much more experienced and older than oshawa. McIvor has been fantastic though, a lot of credit goes to him. He was very good with quinte in U16 as well, he’s a gamer. Need more from Marelli in G7.

Reactions: dirty12

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

They finished 2 points apart in the standings. I get that North Bay is missing their starting goalie, but it's not uncommon for a backup to shine in the playoffs when pushed into action. We saw it with LaLonde in Saginaw this year.

It's not remotely close to being the same thing as an 8 sweeping a 1 in the first round. It had never been done before in the history of the league.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They finished 2 points apart in the standings. I get that North Bay is missing their starting goalie, but it's not uncommon for a backup to shine in the playoffs when pushed into action. We saw it with LaLonde in Saginaw this year.

It's not remotely close to being the same thing as an 8 sweeping a 1 in the first round. It had never been done before in the history of the league.

Lalonde was good enough to give his team a chance to win. That is all anyone can really ask.
McIvor is a rookie with a 0.917 SV% in the playoffs. As mentioned above, he has been fantastic. In large part because 1-6 the battalion D and their centres are excellent defensively.

You’re right though, the NB-OSH and WSR-KIT series are not remotely similar. Oshawa got all the breaks until Punnet went down. In the 2 and a bit games since, NB has outscored Oshawa 15-5.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Lalonde was good enough to give his team a chance to win. That is all anyone can really ask.
McIvor is a rookie with a 0.917 SV% in the playoffs. As mentioned above, he has been fantastic. In large part because 1-6 the battalion D and their centres are excellent defensively.

You’re right though, the NB-OSH and WSR-KIT series are not remotely similar. Oshawa got all the breaks until Punnet went down. In the 2 and a bit games since, NB has outscored Oshawa 15-5.
Maybe a better example is Owen Willmore for London last year, although a much smaller game card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad