Oshawa Generals 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think best case scenario is the Generals work out a deal with one of the early picking teams to draft and trade Perfetti to them. Then they take Tullio at #11. The cost for a defected player is similar to a strong 19 year old rental at the deadline and only costs picks. It is well worth the price if they can work out the deal prior to the draft. It is the "easy button" solution for all parties.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Agreed 100%. Anything is possible. But, referencing Couture, I remember speaking with Logan's father the year after and apparently he slipped more so for two reasons:
1) JT was granted status only a few days before the draft. Other teams at the top of the draft had already worked out deals with players just like Oshawa had with Couture. logan had some friends that would have affected so he didn't want to swoop in a quash a deal and the potential ripple effect it would have caused wasn't something the family was comfortable with.
2) there were a couple teams that he pretty much said no to. With different comp scenario's back then, you couldn't trade the player, you only got the comp pick the following year after round one (21st) so the risks were way too high.

So, Logan would have gone top 3 had they simply just said 'oh well' after JT was granted status and let the chips fall where they may.

Although your point still stands, based on this info, I am not sure Couture was a good example.
Very interesting...this shows that at least some "first round" selections are known BEFORE draft day, and that they are merely finalized on Saturday/draft day.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Very interesting...this shows that at least some "first round" selections are known BEFORE draft day, and that they are merely finalized on Saturday/draft day.
Oh yes. 100%.

The reason is because they are kids. It would be naive to suggest the summer family visits are where teams do their selling to their top picks.

This year, for example, Sudbury did all its work on Byfeld and Flint would know this and do their work on their option, then so on and so on. The depth of that negotiation series depends somewhat on timing but generally speaking, the top 10 or so players have had numerous conversations.

The idea of picking BPA in the top 10 for the OHL draft is not realistic. It is best player signable. Of course there are some teams that will roill the dice but most teams want stability and that starts with drafting a first rounder you know or are at least reasonably certain will report.

Reactions: nelli27

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I don't know about you guys but I personally would not take my son in this scenario. I'd obviously want the best for him and try to steer him towards succesful and well respected franchises but I just wouldn't want to put my organization or my kid in that kind of situation. Tullio might say now that he will have no biases but you never know how he'll react watching his kid get benched by the guy he's paying or become trade bait.

It also puts your entire coaching staff in a tough spot as well as the kid because Ty is going to come into the dressing room and there will always be the chance of him getting preferential treatment because who his Dad is. No matter if is actually happening or not or its because of his actual play on the ice, that posibility will always be there. Also, because of this it could split the dressing room if players do start to think he's getting favoured.

Once again even if he's not and he's earned it that assumption will always be there. I just wouldn't want to deal with that.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't know about you guys but I personally would not take my son in this scenario. I'd obviously want the best for him and try to steer him towards succesful and well respected franchises but I just wouldn't want to put my organization or my kid in that kind of situation. Tullio might say now that he will have no biases but you never know how he'll react watching his kid get benched by the guy he's paying or become trade bait.

It also puts your entire coaching staff in a tough spot as well as the kid because Ty is going to come into the dressing room and there will always be the chance of him getting preferential treatment because who his Dad is. No matter if is actually happening or not or its because of his actual play on the ice, that posibility will always be there. Also, because of this it could split the dressing room if players do start to think he's getting favoured.

Once again even if he's not and he's earned it that assumption will always be there. I just wouldn't want to deal with that.

Good points but to be realistic, “politics” will have been something these players and parents have had to deal with their whole playing career to date. This would just be an extension of that. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Tullio would be coming in as a highly touted JUNIOR prospect. As such, he would be afforded every opportunity on any team his rights are acquired by.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I don't know anything about Tullio other than what I have read on HF Boards and other sites but I am going to weigh in regardless. First, there is the relationship status as happened in Sudbury and Flint. Neither of those turned out great. But, my major concern is Tullio's size...among the smallest players in the draft and I wonder how many of his points were due to Perfetti?

He certainly benefited from playing with Perfetti (who wouldn't) but he's also legit on his own. He'd be a late 1st/early 2nd round pick no matter who he played with I think

Tullio was 2nd in the GTHL in points, despite missing a full month. He had 89 points in 50 games. Dylan Robinson (OHL Cup MVP) had 84 points in 55 games for 3rd. Perfetti had 125 points in 64 games for 1st

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Well with Moore & Robinson still available he wouldn't have been my pick but it's over now and here's hoping he proves me wrong

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
There is no way perfetti goes to Saginaw. How many picks will it take to send him to Oshawa ???? 3 or 4 seconds, a couple thirds? Then drafting tullio at 11 would make much more sense. They knew tullio wouldn’t be there at 28

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Generals Live in Twitter

Last night I was told that the #Gens had a team willing to take Perfetti and trade him to the Gens to get the picks and comp 1st best year. I was told that team was Saginaw ‍♂️

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Is Tullio a good pick at 11 or is this nepotism?

Is it looking likely that Tullio and Perfetti will be reunited on the Gens?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Is Tullio a good pick at 11 or is this nepotism?

Is it looking likely that Tullio and Perfetti will be reunited on the Gens?

Both. Tullio is a 1st rounder but not 11th overall. But he definitely wouldve been gone by the Gens 2nd pick at 28. Tullio will be a very solid OHL player, but getting Dylan Robinson at 28 certainly takes the pressure off him. Robinson could’ve went 11th overall himself

Reactions: LeafChief

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Both. Tullio is a 1st rounder but not 11th overall. But he definitely wouldve been gone by the Gens 2nd pick at 28. Tullio will be a very solid OHL player, but getting Dylan Robinson at 28 certainly takes the pressure off him. Robinson could’ve went 11th overall himself
If they grab Perfetti as well, that's quite the successful draft day.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Perfetti to the Gens is being thrown around but I have my doubts. First, the Gens are not loaded with picks in the next few years and more importantly, Saginaw is loaded with picks the next three years. Teams can only utilize so many player additions each year and as the Saginaw GM, I would have difficulty seeing the need for more. To me, London is a more logical destination.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Perfetti to the Gens is being thrown around but I have my doubts. First, the Gens are not loaded with picks in the next few years and more importantly, Saginaw is loaded with picks the next three years. Teams can only utilize so many player additions each year and as the Saginaw GM, I would have difficulty seeing the need for more. To me, London is a more logical destination.

The Gens are pretty loaded with picks. They have 10 2nds in the next 6 drafts alone. Would only probably costs 3 2nds+3 3rds to get him. That’s what McLeod and Mete cost after they wouldn’t report

Easy to spend those picks when it’s for a hometown kid who clearly wants to play for you too. Extends the Gens “win window” by a couple years

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
I’m ok with the seconds and thirds it would cost for perfetti. The gens had a big issue scoring goals and with tullio, Robinson and wink wink perfetti a possibility then offensive skill is going up. Two and three years from now could be really good :popcorn:

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I’m ok with the seconds and thirds it would cost for perfetti. The gens had a big issue scoring goals and with tullio, Robinson and wink wink perfetti a possibility then offensive skill is going up. Two and three years from now could be really good :popcorn:

Agreed. Especially when you think that you could get Perfetti for 4 years for 3 2nds and 3 3rds, then if you’re not good you trade him in his 4th year and get a rookie and all those picks back (like Dal Colle/Cirelli trades)

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
The Generals 6th rd pick Matthew DeBour is that the brother of Jack and the son of owner Peter DeBour?

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Gens drafted yesterday a 2000 born D-man Declan Carlile who has a NCAA commit to Merrimack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad