Oshawa Generals 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Penalties again cost us again, and if Stillman wants a trade let's grant him his wish before he has no value at all. Very disappointed in the loss especially having a 4-1 lead. Oh well it's been awhile since we had a 1st overall draft pick :laugh:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Penalties again cost us again, and if Stillman wants a trade let's grant him his wish before he has no value at all. Very disappointed in the loss especially having a 4-1 lead. Oh well it's been awhile since we had a 1st overall draft pick :laugh:

Can't see the Gens missing the playoffs (Sudbury and NB stink and will likely trade some of their top guys and get even worse) which would mean the best possible pick would be 5th overall (that's what the Gens would have if the season ended today)

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
I saw a tweet from generals live talking about great top end talent available in draft this year. I have stressed many times in looking at big picture it helps to drop as low as possible this year.
Byfield and perfetti are two examples.

The older players haven’t done their job so far this year.

This team will be in contention with an 18-19 core of Noel, mcshane, antropov, Wong, brewer. So it wouldn’t hurt to add one of the top players.

Flint after that trade is all in for byfield. Whether he would report there is another matter.

The next group includes North Bay, Sudbury, Saginaw and Oshawa right now.

You know Erie is going to sell off soon too so they will drop.

Just saying looking at next 5 games will all be tough for Generals. Might as well get a top player that steps right in next year.

Just my opinion :)

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Knowing Roger Hunt, he'll draft someone I've never seen play (did that with Studnicka and Brewer) but man I would love for the Gens to pick high enough to get Jamie Drysdale..... Drysdale-Brewer would dominate the OHL together for a long time

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Every week I think the generals are going to turn the corner but the same old out come, I'm realizing that we are not a good team as we (I) thought, I really like our younger player's future looks good not this year. Think it's time to start thinking about trading some vets. And before everyone starts jumping on me not being a fan believe me you would be wrong in that thinking. Everything evolves around the Generals, my wife dosn't plan any family get togethers, birthday parties,Xmas diners etc. Alot of things are not going our way right from the start of the season no coach then injuries then suspensions, it is what it is and hope we can re-rail this train wreck. Let's turn the corner tonight against Barrie :thumbu:

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Every week I think the generals are going to turn the corner but the same old out come, I'm realizing that we are not a good team as we (I) thought, I really like our younger player's future looks good not this year. Think it's time to start thinking about trading some vets. And before everyone starts jumping on me not being a fan believe me you would be wrong in that thinking. Everything evolves around the Generals, my wife dosn't plan any family get togethers, birthday parties,Xmas diners etc. Alot of things are not going our way right from the start of the season no coach then injuries then suspensions, it is what it is and hope we can re-rail this train wreck. Let's turn the corner tonight against Barrie :thumbu:

Definitely don't think that makes you not a fan, because I do agree with you. At the end of the day, if the PP and PK are both dead last, there's absolutely no way that team has a chance to do anything.

But is trading the vets the right move? I don't think so mostly because you'll get nothing for them.

Who won't be back next year?
-Henderson
-Di Carlo
-Huether
-McCool
-Harrogate
-Ceci
-Allen

You're not going to get anything for any of those guys, that's the issue I think.

Trading 1 of Stillman or Brassard (whichever one you think won't be back next year) is the only "sell" trade that makes sense to me

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Definitely don't think that makes you not a fan, because I do agree with you. At the end of the day, if the PP and PK are both dead last, there's absolutely no way that team has a chance to do anything.

But is trading the vets the right move? I don't think so mostly because you'll get nothing for them.

Who won't be back next year?
-Henderson
-Di Carlo
-Huether
-McCool
-Harrogate
-Ceci
-Allen

You're not going to get anything for any of those guys, that's the issue I think.

Trading 1 of Stillman or Brassard (whichever one you think won't be back next year) is the only "sell" trade that makes sense to me
I agree but I do you think Allen and (or) Stillman might bring some value in return let say to Sania or SSM.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
To your point Generalsupdates about Hunt's draft selections; we have to keep in mind where the team has drafted the last few years. You don't usually get quality players where the Gens drafted with Studnika at 21 and Brewer at 15. Some teams find talent down that far but that is unusual. Don't know what Hunt saw in Antropov to pick him at 6 but as you implied, Hunt tends to think out of the box. He seems to make up for it in the 2nd rounds however with selections like Wong and Noel.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I agree but I do you think Allen and (or) Stillman might bring some value in return let say to Sania or SSM.

Stillman would likely get you a 2nd and 3rd (maybe I'm wrong), whereas Allen would probably just get you like a 4th or a 5th

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
OHL admits they got the Stillman headshot call wrong and he won't be suspended.

That's now 3 straight games that the refs blew a call and the Gens lost by 1 every time

1: in MISS blown goalie interference call, Gens lose by 1
2: OHL admits they got Noel slewfoot wrong, BAR scored on PP and won by 1 goal
3: OHL admits they got Stillman headcheck wrong, HAM scored on PP and won by 1 goal

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
2 interesting things Di Carlo sitting out and Stillman not suspended,may come Monday :huh:

Di Carlo's out because Blacker's in (which should be the case every game)

And Stillman didn't get suspended, OHL looked at it and said wasn't a head shot

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
That's more like it.

Cole Ceci looked good again. I'd give him the game tomorrow, he's earned it with his play the last 4 games.

Nice to see Brassard get on the board this season, him/Stillman scoring certainly would kick start the PP.

Henderson getting going too. 2 G and 3 A in his last 4 games. Had just 1G/2A in the prior 19 games

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Missy should have said no Too Tippet return did score a nice goal last night but was very mouthy at other times and stretches when I did not notice him.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Fully updated Gens HFBoards Standings:
Last Game Calculated: Nov 26 vs MISS

GeneralsUpdates: 19
Pepsihead: 13
GensFan2K2: 10
Coolwood: 7
Naz: 4
SH15: 2
TuckerFan1: 2
Sickest Flow Bro: 1
Hockeyfan1234: 0
Sakic19: 0

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Bob Jones is back in January, great news.

The Gens are the 6th best team at even strength this season (3rd best in the Eastern Conference)

OHL Even Strength +/-
Great news that coach Jones is on the road to recovery and hopefully behind the bench in the new year,It's to bad that our PK and PP wasn't better, hopefully Coach Jones can steer them in the right direction.:thumbu:

vouve

Dec 8, 2015
question for generals updates and any other real gens fan.
why do jones and hunt not get called out on how they treat several young men with regards to their careers? the list in jones' tenure is long - burt, sparkes, gottschalk, mundell, allison, rupoli just to name a few (I know there are many more). when the knights sign a kid they develop him properly. they just don't give up and sign (yet another) NHL players kid. what gives?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
question for generals updates and any other real gens fan.
why do jones and hunt not get called out on how they treat several young men with regards to their careers? the list in jones' tenure is long - burt, sparkes, gottschalk, mundell, allison, rupoli just to name a few (I know there are many more). when the knights sign a kid they develop him properly. they just don't give up and sign (yet another) NHL players kid. what gives?

Would love to know what you're talking about....

The Gens felt like they didn't have room for Sparkes/Burt/Gottschalk/Allison as starters so instead of healthy scratching them every night they let Sparkes, Allison and Burt go to the QMJHL and Gottschalk go play everynight (and dominate) in the OJHL.

So basically your question is "how come when the Gens feel like someone isn't good enough to be a starter, they let them go try an opportunity somewhere else, where they'll play a lot more?"

Is Sparkes better off being a healthy scratch in Oshawa or having 11 points in 18 games in Charlottetown? Please tell me how that is hurting Sullivan's career....

And to your Knights example, they've healthy scratched Dalton Duhart in 18 of their 25 games this year, and they've healthy scratched Lucas Rowe in 14 of their 25 games. 2 rookies who could be playing every night in the OJHL, are instead eating popcorn in the press box 72% of the time (Duhart) and 56 % of the time (Rowe). That's good for their career? It's already hurt Lucas Rowe so much that he didn't even get invited to the U17 hockey challenge despite being a 1st round pick to the OHL, which is unheard of.

Even when London started 1-9, they still were healthy scratching Rowe, their first round pick

Last edited:
Reactions: Finster8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad