Oshawa Generals 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
When do you guys play Ceci this weekend? I think I'd go Keyser tonight and tomorrow tonight and give Ceci Sunday vs Barrie

Update: Barrie's best player (top 3-5 player in the league this year) Svechnikov out 8 weeks with a broken wrist. All 4 of the Gens games against Barrie this year are in the next 8 weeks too. I'd definitely go Ceci vs Barrie then

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Noel remains out tonight (concussion protocol). Kohn scratched again so the him finishing the year at school rumour seems to be picking up steam. Blacker still not ready to go

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I'm so sick of Riley Stillman's lack of effort this year. Gens play a perfect defensive game on the road and he just doesn't clear a rebound and puts it on Barron's tape to tie the game late in the 3rd and OTT wins in OT. When Allen and/or Blacker get back I'm good with just healthy scratching him. He doesn't deserve to play right now

Reactions: JeepHockey

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I'm so sick of Riley Stillman's lack of effort this year. Gens play a perfect defensive game on the road and he just doesn't clear a rebound and puts it on Barron's tape to tie the game late in the 3rd and OTT wins in OT. When Allen and/or Blacker get back I'm good with just healthy scratching him. He doesn't deserve to play right now

And if we had a vet coach he probably would as well as some others, I think the ones we have are to scared to do so.we are starting to digging a pretty big hole and if something not done we won't be able to get out of oh well on to tommorow game, it will be great to see Tony Tanti in the built.

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015

I couldn't agree more. Kid is not getting it done. Adding very little value for someone who was in the captaincy conversation the past two seasons. Antropov was terrible on the play too but, you are bang on with your assessment of Stillman.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
What about we send you Sokolov with Makkonen and you guys send us Stillman and Antropov! You guys need to be all in this year so sounds like a fair deal.

WJ

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
What about we send you Sokolov with Makkonen and you guys send us Stillman and Antropov! You guys need to be all in this year so sounds like a fair deal.

WJ

No for so many reasons.

1) In no way do the Gens "Need to be all in this year", nor will they even think about going all-in this year. They have one of the youngest teams in the East and all the Gens best players are coming back next year, most are coming back for 2-3 more years

2) Sokolov is an import and the Gens already have 2 quality imports in Gross and Krastenbergs

Peterborough, Barrie and Mississauga if they get Tippett+McLeod back are the only East teams that are under pressure to go all-in this year

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Why would Barrie be pressured to be all in this year. Mississauga doing the same they did last year. Petes are the strong hold. But I think the Gennies have too many guys that will be gone next year to think they can fill those easily next year. I think they are playing lower than they should and will snap out of it soon.

But if they keep complaining about Stillman and Antropov as I said Soko scores in bunches and may be available. Then the Gennies deal one of the other import guys out. Not far fetched I think.

WJ

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Why would Barrie be pressured to be all in this year. Mississauga doing the same they did last year. Petes are the strong hold. But I think the Gennies have too many guys that will be gone next year to think they can fill those easily next year. I think they are playing lower than they should and will snap out of it soon.

But if they keep complaining about Stillman and Antropov as I said Soko scores in bunches and may be available. Then the Gennies deal one of the other import guys out. Not far fetched I think.

WJ

Because Barrie loses Svechnikov (NHL) and Lipanov (AHL) after this year and those 2 are 80% of their scoring. Nobody has been complaining about Antropov, someone just said he was out of position on one goal, although he was only "out of position" because Stillman got to the puck so he started breaking out and Stillman turned it over so it was technically Antropov's guy who scored.

Gens will lose the 3 OA's (Di Carlo/McCool/Huether) and then Allen/Ceci/Gauthier/Krastenbergs and one of Stillman/Brassard. All of the Gens best players are back next year. They're not even close to being under pressure to make moves. Hunt won't be in the market for expensive rentals, I can guarantee you that.

Even before the draft (Gens have their 1st and MISS 2nd, which right now would be 21st overall) and import draft which the Gens always have a ton of success in, the roster looks like this next year:

F Lines:
Henderson(OA)-Studnicka-Wong
Antropov-McShane-Noel
MacLean-Commisso(OA)-1st round import pick
1st round draft pick-Resnick-Hewitson
Unknown: Farinacci, DeBoer

D Pairings:
Brewer-Gross
Ennis-Brassard or Stillman(OA)
Blacker-Rupoli
Others: Stoia

Goalies:
Keyser
Torchia

That's already a full lineup next year even before this year's deadline where if Hunt is making moves it'll be to add guys who will be back next year and the off-season next year. McShane/Studnicka could very well both be top 5 in the league in points next season

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Fair enough time will tell what Oshawa will do but I believe Stillman will be Wolf by deadline or OA year. As for Barrie they are way too young to go all in. The two Russian players you mention are 2000 and 1999 birth they will not be playing in the NHL or AHL. Another year of development for those two guys. Hawerchuck will get them back next season and he will develop those two to be pro players. Barrie will be ridiculous next year. The amount of talent and fire power they will have next season with most returning is going to be scary. If they work on the defence and goaltending next season they will be one of the best teams ever for them.

I think the Gennies will make a move this year. No guarantee Boston sends back Studnicka next year. He may crap the line up.

WJ

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Fair enough time will tell what Oshawa will do but I believe Stillman will be Wolf by deadline or OA year. As for Barrie they are way too young to go all in. The two Russian players you mention are 2000 and 1999 birth they will not be playing in the NHL or AHL. Another year of development for those two guys. Hawerchuck will get them back next season and he will develop those two to be pro players. Barrie will be ridiculous next year. The amount of talent and fire power they will have next season with most returning is going to be scary. If they work on the defence and goaltending next season they will be one of the best teams ever for them.

I think the Gennies will make a move this year. No guarantee Boston sends back Studnicka next year. He may crap the line up.

WJ

Svechnikov is going 1st or 2nd overall in the draft, he's the top forward in the draft and it's not close. He'll be in the NHL next year. And Lipanov was announced as spending 1 year in Barrie then going to the AHL when he signed with Barrie, so both will be gone. That's why Barrie's window is very small. Barrie also has only 1 OA right now so the team will get considerably more veteran once they fill those 2 spots
It's very rare that a 2nd round pick makes the NHL as an 18 year old. Could probably count on 1 hand how many times that's happened. Studnicka will be back

Regarding Stillman, if Sudbury is sending back someone who will help this team next year then I'd accept that trade in a second. He looks terrible this year. Change of scenery might help both parties

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Svechnikov is going 1st or 2nd overall in the draft, he's the top forward in the draft and it's not close. He'll be in the NHL next year. And Lipanov was announced as spending 1 year in Barrie then going to the AHL when he signed with Barrie, so both will be gone. That's why Barrie's window is very small. Barrie also has only 1 OA right now so the team will get considerably more veteran once they fill those 2 spots
It's very rare that a 2nd round pick makes the NHL as an 18 year old. Could probably count on 1 hand how many times that's happened. Studnicka will be back

Regarding Stillman, if Sudbury is sending back someone who will help this team next year then I'd accept that trade in a second. He looks terrible this year. Change of scenery might help both parties

Nice read. What so you think of the wolves from what you've seen.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Awesome warmup music tonight with The Hip.

Oshawa always does it right with the jerseys. Tonight’s retro OSHAWA jerseys from Tanti team look sweet.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017

You make some interesting points but I thought there is an age rule for AHL that if player isn't 20 they have NHL or back to CHL. If not the case it makes sense that Barrie will forsake the future and trade off guys like there goalie propp and other prospects to load up now. I tend to agree with WJ that Barrie would be stacked next year in 3rd year of rebuild.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
You make some interesting points but I thought there is an age rule for AHL that if player isn't 20 they have NHL or back to CHL. If not the case it makes sense that Barrie will forsake the future and trade off guys like there goalie propp and other prospects to load up now. I tend to agree with WJ that Barrie would be stacked next year in 3rd year of rebuild.

That is the case if the guy is in the CHL when he gets drafted to the NHL. But not if you're not, and Lipanov wasn't in the CHL yet when he got drafted so he can play AHL any time (like Alex Nylander played 1 year in MISS then went AHL after that).

Lipanov already signed his entry level contract in the NHL so you can bet he will be in the AHL next year, he's a 1-and-done OHL guy. Tough situation for Barrie because take away Svechnikov/Lipanov and suddenly they're very average next year. That's why I think they're under a lot of pressure to go for it this year, even with a young team

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig