Oshawa Generals 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
yup the east needs a competitive generals team to make it an interesting conference looks like the days of old with petes and gennies both being competitive again

Yeah it's about time the Gens/Petes "rivalry" was even close to a rivalry again. Hasn't been that way for a long time

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
not sure about that statement...Petes have 3 97's and of course so do Oshawa...Petes have 6 19yr olds(timms out currently so only 5 in lineup) oshawa has 5..Petes have 6 00's (4 playing d currently ) Oshawa has 5 00's as per last game...so not true regarding heavy 19 20yr olds a 1 player difference compared to oshawa at present. Oshawa has 2 01's in lineup one f one d Petes have 1 at f with a d filling in.....very similar rosters i'd say moving forward maybe oshawa deeper up front with young guys and petes more depth backend including jones in net should be good for a few more years of competition!

I think the point being your goalie and oa’s plus the 19 year olds are your strength so I’d imagine your gm goes all in this year because this is the Petes shot. Oshawa is really primed for next year and the year after.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I think the point being your goalie and oa’s plus the 19 year olds are your strength so I’d imagine your gm goes all in this year because this is the Petes shot. Oshawa is really primed for next year and the year after.
yeah id agree they have to go for it this year for sure

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
yeah id agree they have to go for it this year for sure

It'll be interesting to see how PBO plays it. I definitely think they need to go all in but I also think if they trade Robertson then it'll be a big mistake. He's tiny but in the new OHL that plays because you can't slow guys down anymore so size matters less and less as long as you can skate. If I'm PBO I target Cam Dineen as my big get

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Anyways back to the Gens, unfortunately I think the 8 game winning streak over OS ends tonight, they're too good.

5-3 OS, GWG: Gadjovich

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how PBO plays it. I definitely think they need to go all in but I also think if they trade Robertson then it'll be a big mistake. He's tiny but in the new OHL that plays because you can't slow guys down anymore so size matters less and less as long as you can skate. If I'm PBO I target Cam Dineen as my big get
they wont trade robertson..maybe some of the 2000's..yup sorry to highjack your thread good luck vs OS cheers!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
they wont trade robertson..maybe some of the 2000's..yup sorry to highjack your thread good luck vs OS cheers!

Never know. McShane is a better player than Robertson and he got moved last year at the deadline. Oke will be feeling the pressure and he's been known to overspend in the past when he's feeling the pressure

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Breaking news, no Gauthier on the bench tonight....

Don't really know if Gauthier is ill don't think he is injured as he didn't play yesterday so I'm guessing that he is on wavivers.
If so good move Roger Hunt.
Now get a head coach. Not saying that our assistance are not there just not ready for where this team is right now and next.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Update to the update:

Owen Sound just head faked the shit out of us and just wrote down Torchia on the online box score inaccurately because he's still at his game in Stouffville tonight. Damn you Owen Sound

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Never know. McShane is a better player than Robertson and he got moved last year at the deadline. Oke will be feeling the pressure and he's been known to overspend in the past when he's feeling the pressure

Oke has been accused of over paying at the time of the trade; but, he is actually a cautious trader imo. 2 1/2 seasons of Garlent was good value, Korostelev and Black was great value, and Oke can get 2 1/2 seasons out of Paquette too. I’d be a little surprised if Oke parted with more than a 3rd or 4th round picked 2000 and future picks for one D.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Oke has been accused of over paying at the time of the trade; but, he is actually a cautious trader imo. 2 1/2 seasons of Garlent was good value, Korostelev and Black was great value, and Oke can get 2 1/2 seasons out of Paquette too. I’d be a little surprised if Oke parted with more than a 3rd or 4th round picked 2000 and future picks for one D.

Korostelev and Black was only good value but he lucked into a 2nd year of Korostelev. It makes no sense for Korostelev to still be in the OHL as an OA, so there's no way Oke can claim he knew that when he made the trade. Badly overpayed for Paquette too who is just a role player on a good team but paid for him as if he's a superstar

Last edited:

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
I hope an early 6th ranking in CHL didn’t go to the gens heads. This team is no where close.
Continue building for the next two years. Some of the older players haven’t shown up. The generals used to play a solid defensive system. Either they don’t have those type of players anymore or it’s a new system.

They need to get one win this weekend tomorrow night .

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I hope an early 6th ranking in CHL didn’t go to the gens heads. This team is no where close.
Continue building for the next two years. Some of the older players haven’t shown up. The generals used to play a solid defensive system. Either they don’t have those type of players anymore or it’s a new system.

They need to get one win this weekend tomorrow night .

The PK is all-time bad. Obviously that won't last but it's been this bad for an extended stretch now and I don't get it considering the Gens have so many defensively responsible forwards.

Agree on the older players not showing up comment. The Gens worst players have been the guys who won't be back next year. I thought Stillman has been pretty bad this year coming into tonight and tonight is the worst game I've ever seen him play. He looks like a rookie who's never played in this league before. I know it was a PBO poster who started the "Stillman wants a trade rumour" so that means absolutely nothing, but if the Gens can get anything for him that'll help the team next year, do it. Gens have also got next to nothing from Huether this year.

At least McShane/Antropov/Brewer look good. Noel did too before the fight, which will have him suspended 2 games for a fight right off the draw I believe

Last edited:

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
The generals have alot of issues 1. Can't stop the puck 2. Powerplay suck 3. Penalty killing sucks, I could go on to find at least 50 other issues

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
The team found a way to put up 6 against OS. Scoring isn’t an issue it’s defence and discipline. Way too many times on the PK for a team who is god awful at defending while short handed. It’s even worse when they take more penalties while shorthanded, so we go down to 5 on 3.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I am also incredibly disappointed with Stillman so far. Before the season, I had him pegged to take a big step forward and become a force on our blue line. What would a player like him fetch in a trade? Probably a mid round pick or two? I’m sure he would love to play with his buddy Ang in his hometown Peterborough, but the Gens and Pete’s don’t make big moves together.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I am also incredibly disappointed with Stillman so far. Before the season, I had him pegged to take a big step forward and become a force on our blue line. What would a player like him fetch in a trade? Probably a mid round pick or two? I’m sure he would love to play with his buddy Ang in his hometown Peterborough, but the Gens and Pete’s don’t make big moves together.

I was just having this convo with a friend. If you can get a 2nd and 3rd for stillman I’d be inclined to do it. We’ll have 3 good OAs next year no matter what with Commisso/Henderson and Krasty or Brassard if Brassard doesn’t sign. Let’s hope he is just in a funk and snaps out of it. There’s no coincidence that how much he’s struggling and the Gens inability to keep the puck out of the net right now are related. He should be the Gens best D majority of nights

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
At least with Keyser getting pulled relatively early last night it probably means he’s starting tonight, at least I hope it means that.

I’ll go: 5-2 OSH, GWG: Henderson, he’s due

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
I've never been a big fan of Stillman. Always felt he was overrated. I just don't see the fuss about him. His slapshot, although hard, is wildly inaccurate and he's prone to major gaffes in his own end. He's been simply dreadful so far this year.

The Generals miss Jones dearly and it appears he's not coming back. This team is chocked full of talent but discipline, defense and goaltending are looking like they will be their downfall.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I've never been a big fan of Stillman. Always felt he was overrated. I just don't see the fuss about him. His slapshot, although hard, is wildly inaccurate and he's prone to major gaffes in his own end. He's been simply dreadful so far this year.

The Generals miss Jones dearly and it appears he's not coming back. This team is chocked full of talent but discipline, defense and goaltending are looking like they will be their downfall.

Has there been any more word on Jones? The way they spun it, it sounded like he would be back a month or two into the season. The longer we go with no update, the more concerning it is for Jones and the team. Both Nemisz and McIver have pro experience, but I don’t feel like they get enough out of the players yet. No fault to either of them as I don’t think they were expecting to have to take the reigns of an OHL team this soon.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
My thoughts of our team, our D which I thought it was our strong point has turned out to be not so,Di Carlo, Stillman and Allen are playing terrible, our forward Henderson a disapointment,our young guns are the one that are playing hard Noel, McShane, Andropov, Wong I know not young but Studnicka plays a good game but the rest are no better than 3rd line players.
also inexperience coaches in Nemisz & Mciver that are not ready to be head coaches, hope Jones return soon, if not have to get a vet Coach, before the generals dig them selves to deep of a hole. see you @ the rink

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
My thoughts of our team, our D which I thought it was our strong point has turned out to be not so,Di Carlo, Stillman and Allen are playing terrible, our forward Henderson a disapointment,our young guns are the one that are playing hard Noel, McShane, Andropov, Wong I know not young but Studnicka plays a good game but the rest are no better than 3rd line players.
also inexperience coaches in Nemisz & Mciver that are not ready to be head coaches, hope Jones return soon, if not have to get a vet Coach, before the generals dig them selves to deep of a hole. see you @ the rink

Allen is still suspended, isn’t he? Not like he would be a huge improvement

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The Gens have played 8 games and Allen has only been in 3 of them. It's October, there are 60 games left so I ain't panicking yet.

My wild card player that I think might surprise a few people when he returns is Ian Blacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad