Speculation: Oscar Klefbom

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
Klefbom is the player who made me realize how little I know about scouting. Would read hype about him here and see him play his first nhl games going wtf were they talking about. Eventually I understood.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Klefbom is the player who made me realize how little I know about scouting. Would read hype about him here and see him play his first nhl games going wtf were they talking about. Eventually I understood.

Great post. So true.

XB did that to me this year. The way he has evolved his two way game seemed impossible to me.

Plus Philp, this year was a real eye opener in terms of how good pro scouts are at projections

It's also why we need to chill on Broberg and Holloway, who are both raw toolsy players. They were drafted based on projections that are still a few seasons away.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Absolute joy watching him play in the 2012 U20 Tournament in Calgary. Saw every game and it was apparent the guy was a beast. Tournament All Star and a huge part of Sweden's breakthrough gold medal team. Guy had it all with good leadership skills. So unfortunate for him and the team to have his career end so prematurely.

I'm a bit surprised he hasn't seem to engage with the team. However I can also appreciate it must be a difficult transition at such a young age. Klefbomber you are missed!

EDIT: Very difficult to evaluate green banana defensemen. It is the most difficult position to onboard at the NHL level.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Always seemed overrated to me. I know we might have some rose colored glasses for the guy, sucks his career was cut short and all that, but he was always exposed defensively. Maxed out at 30 something points while being the PP guy the entire time.

Sorry, just never saw it. We all remember him being lost out there, was never great with the puck. He looked damn good though. Loved the way he skated too.

Reactions: ManByng

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Have to admit, I was a little afraid when I saw this thread come up that the usual suspects on here were bringing up the possibility of him suiting up for us again.:D

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Absolute joy watching him play in the 2012 U20 Tournament in Calgary. Saw every game and it was apparent the guy was a beast. Tournament All Star and a huge part of Sweden's breakthrough gold medal team. Guy had it all with good leadership skills. So unfortunate for him and the team to have his career end so prematurely.

I'm a bit surprised he hasn't seem to engage with the team. However I can also appreciate it must be a difficult transition at such a young age. Klefbomber you are missed!

EDIT: Very difficult to evaluate green banana defensemen. It is the most difficult position to onboard at the NHL level.
I saw him and Marincin as a pairing during that tournament. You could tell they were nhl quality by how slow the game was for them

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I saw him and Marincin as a pairing during that tournament. You could tell they were nhl quality by how slow the game was for them
Klefbom and Jonas Brodin were anchors for Team Sweden. Marincin and Gernat were the Team Slovak Twin Towers. Those were heady days as all looked NHL bound in that tournament. Sweden beating a very cocky Russian team was sweet.

Reactions: LaGu and Mr Sakich

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Klefbom and Jonas Brodin were anchors for Team Sweden. Marincin and Gernat were the Team Slovak Twin Towers. Those were heady days as all looked NHL bound in that tournament. Sweden beating a very cocky Russian team was sweet.
my darned 59 year year old brain fails me every now and then.

What I recall was them being men amongst boys, not so much with the skill but their poise and calm efficiency

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Dooman

Mar 8, 2006
Always seemed overrated to me. I know we might have some rose colored glasses for the guy, sucks his career was cut short and all that, but he was always exposed defensively. Maxed out at 30 something points while being the PP guy the entire time.

Sorry, just never saw it. We all remember him being lost out there, was never great with the puck. He looked damn good though. Loved the way he skated too.
Don't know who you were watching.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Has there been any news on Klef?

Was kind of wondering if this was going to be a Smid like situation where he runs out his contract only to give his European club one last shot.

In Smid's case he was able to play 5 more years in Europe once his NHL career ended. Heck if he doesn't want to play, hire him as some sort of scout

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Has there been any news on Klef?

Was kind of wondering if this was going to be a Smid like situation where he runs out his contract only to give his European club one last shot.

In Smid's case he was able to play 5 more years in Europe once his NHL career ended. Heck if he doesn't want to play, hire him as some sort of scout
Don’t hear a peep on Klefbom. Such a shame

Reactions: joestevens29

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Remember, in Klefbom's draft year, His season total was 1 goal 1 assist

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Remember, in Klefbom's draft year, His season total was 1 goal 1 assist
Does not mean very much for a 17 year old in SHL to be honest, he barely played more than a handful of minutes per game. Brodin in the same year had 4 pts in the SHL, playing many more games and bigger minutes. Erik Karlsson had 1 goal in his draft season in SHL (playing less).

Junior and U18/U20 stats is more relevant.

Reactions: joestevens29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad