Speculation: Oscar Klefbom

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Lucic is playing with McDavid now though...he should hit 20 goals and 50 points easily if healthy all year

the additions of Lucic and Puljujarvi should cover Hall's offense pretty easily

Points aren't offense though. Lucic is definitely more of a complimentary player than Hall is, so we're stil looking at McDavid as the only guy left who can create things out of nothing.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Points aren't offense though. Lucic is definitely more of a complimentary player than Hall is, so we're stil looking at McDavid as the only guy left who can create things out of nothing.

agree.... i think pulj might become that player one day, although it won't be as consistent as hall was.... eberle, drai and RNH all have flashes of it once and a while, but again, its not nearly consistent enough

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray

I would argue mcdavid is better than Hall already and last year was the only year where we had hall and McDavid. Also a more diverse line (ie. Strong board player with a playmaker) is better than having multiple of same player (which has been a problem in the past). I think this year's forwards is our most well rounded in a long time.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Cant wait to see Klefbom this year. His last 7ish games last season were other worldy. Seriously at a #1 D level. Ofcourse that could very well just be an aberration but I tuned into games just to watch him.

Klefboms value could sky rocket next year with a solid season. He is a tease because he has a great short sample size of games and analytics are crazy good.

I wouldnt be suprised to see Klefbom look better than Larsson next year. But having both swede D, both same age, developing into stud D at same time will be a treat

When is last time 2 Swedish D manned the top pairing together?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Cant wait to see Klefbom this year. His last 7ish games last season were other worldy. Seriously at a #1 D level. Ofcourse that could very well just be an aberration but I tuned into games just to watch him.

Klefboms value could sky rocket next year with a solid season. He is a tease because he has a great short sample size of games and analytics are crazy good.

I wouldnt be suprised to see Klefbom look better than Larsson next year. But having both swede D, both same age, developing into stud D at same time will be a treat

When is last time 2 Swedish D manned the top pairing together?

I saw a very raw Klefbom last year actually. Not sure if we were watching the same player.

I actually could see Nurse having a better season then Klefbom then I could see Klefbom having a better season then Larsson

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The only concern I have with Klef is his health. He has shown over the past 2 years that he can be a very good NHL dman. He just needs to stay healthy.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The only concern I have with Klef is his health. He has shown over the past 2 years that he can be a very good NHL dman. He just needs to stay healthy.

Huge concern IMO. Alot of times when a player loses that much development time when your young, it just never works out. Hopefully for us thats not Klefbom, but there are no guarentees at this point.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I saw a very raw Klefbom last year actually. Not sure if we were watching the same player.

I actually could see Nurse having a better season then Klefbom then I could see Klefbom having a better season then Larsson

Maybe first couple of games. He defiantly had big up and downs almost period to period. Last stretch of games was great play.

Nurse has miles to go before can even be in same conversation as Klefbom. Klefbom has showed great stuff and did so in tough minutes. Nurses body of work is pretty poor in easy minutes. But he can forsure improve.

The only reason I give Larsson nod over Klefbom is being he played at a high level for longer. IMO Klefbom played at higher level, but for too short to say thatll continue.

AHBq0lq.png

That being said, Klefbom has to prove it wasnt a short sample size of abnormal play. If he leaves off at level he left at, we have a stud

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Maybe first couple of games. He defiantly had big up and downs almost period to period. Last stretch of games was great play.

Nurse has miles to go before can even be in same conversation as Klefbom. Klefbom has showed great stuff and did so in tough minutes. Nurses body of work is pretty poor in easy minutes. But he can forsure improve.

The only reason I give Larsson nod over Klefbom is being he played at a high level for longer. IMO Klefbom played at higher level, but for too short to say thatll continue.

AHBq0lq.png

That being said, Klefbom has to prove it wasnt a short sample size of abnormal play. If he leaves off at level he left at, we have a stud

That all means nothing when you have 100 games in the show. Development time is huge for young players and Klefbom has missed so dam much time. Why do you think his projectory has been so slow so far? Lots of If's at this point in time.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That all means nothing when you have 100 games in the show. Development time is huge for young players and Klefbom has missed so dam much time. Why do you think his projectory has been so slow so far? Lots of If's at this point in time.

So slow? what? His last stretch of games he looked like best D from 2011 class. He was playing at top pairing level in the NHL. This isnt a guy getting injured in the AHL and having troubles getting caught up to NHL speed. This is a guy adapting and at times excelling at top pairing minutes in the NHL. Even for oft injured guys, they typically come back at levels they left of at. The only negative thing is they dont see same progression rate they would have seen with no injuries. In the extreme situation his injuries totally scrwed development and he comes back and never progresses, we are looking at a good #3 D

The what if to me with Klefbom is :what if he never got injured, would he be a top 15 D in NHl right now based on how good hes looked with injury"

People get wayyyyy to caught up with injuries. Remember when Hall was injury prone? remember when Markov didnt play a half season in 4 years in 2010 era and was done? How did injuries not get them?

Its a made up thing in fans heads that worry about

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
So slow? what? His last stretch of games he looked like best D from 2011 class. He was playing at top pairing level in the NHL. This isnt a guy getting injured in the AHL and having troubles getting caught up to NHL speed. This is a guy adapting and at times excelling at top pairing minutes in the NHL. Even for oft injured guys, they typically come back at levels they left of at. The only negative thing is they dont see same progression rate they would have seen with no injuries. In the extreme situation his injuries totally scrwed development and he comes back and never progresses, we are looking at a good #3 D

The what if to me with Klefbom is :what if he never got injured, would he be a top 15 D in NHl right now based on how good hes looked with injury"

People get wayyyyy to caught up with injuries. Remember when Hall was injury prone? remember when Markov didnt play a half season in 4 years in 2010 era and was done? How did injuries not get them?

Its a made up thing in fans heads that worry about

So your making a argument on a 7 game sample size? Wow, ill wait and see how he does this year, like I said. Development time is key. Klefbom has missed practically 2 development seasons since being drafted. Thats a huge concern.

And injuries to young players are not over rated. Its a legit reason many players dont project to what they should of. Not every time, but its a legit concern.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So your making a argument on a 7 game sample size? Wow, ill wait and see how he does this year, like I said. Development time is key. Klefbom has missed practically 2 development seasons since being drafted. Thats a huge concern.

And injuries to young players are not over rated. Its a legit reason many players dont project to what they should of. Not every time, but its a legit concern.

He played good for much longer than 7 games, just last 7-10 games were insanely good. His first 10 games were up and down but with amazing ups and downs many young D experience time to time. Also the 60 games he played last year at a pretty high level against tough comp with Schultz dragging him down

It is a concern, because it stunts progression. It doesnt regress a young player. Id love to see an example of a young player who ligetimately regressed because of injury. You dont just forget how to play. Again, this is not a player struggling to make the NHL. He has already established himself and already shown he can handle top 4 minutes at his worst.

Ill wait and see as well. But there are too many people proclaiming sky is falling because of a infection

I am more concerned with Klefbom being a high level player who is oft injured than I am of him mysteriously regressing in development.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
He played good for much longer than 7 games, just last 7-10 games were insanely good. His first 10 games were up and down but with amazing ups and downs many young D experience time to time. Also the 60 games he played last year at a pretty high level against tough comp with Schultz dragging him down

It is a concern, because it stunts progression. It doesnt regress a young player. Id love to see an example of a young player who ligetimately regressed because of injury. You dont just forget how to play. Again, this is not a player struggling to make the NHL. He has already established himself and already shown he can handle top 4 minutes at his worst.

Ill wait and see as well. But there are too many people proclaiming sky is falling because of a infection

I am more concerned with Klefbom being a high level player who is oft injured than I am of him mysteriously regressing in development.

I dont see many Oiler fans proclaiming th sky is falling. Many are like you penciling him in the Top2 role, something that makes me nervous. Im totally ok with a top4 role for him next year though.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I believe, if healthy, Klefbom will make up our best pairing and defacto top pair by the end of the season.

That won't happen over night and may not be a top pairing that dominates like we dream of. But I find it really hard to imagine a Klefbolm-Larsson pairing being anything less than solid.

Our top 4 has three penciled in with Sekera in the mix and is very respectable.

Getting a fourth to round it out with the players available is not difficult. Plus our bottom pairing should be above average in today's NHL.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

His trajectory has been faster than most despite being injured so much.

It is easy to forget at what point he was just 3-4 years ago. I bet there was hardly anyone who would have called him a potential 1st pair D.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His trajectory has been faster than most despite being injured so much.

It is easy to forget at what point he was just 3-4 years ago. I bet there was hardly anyone who would have called him a potential 1st pair D.

I was very high on him and then he really hit the skids in his first NA season. Since then his trajectory has been incredible, we just need to hope that he can stay healthy.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If the Swedes can provide legit first pairing type of play, how good is it going to be to have a top pair locked up for 5 years at 8.333 mil (and Klef 2 years beyond that)?

Very excited for Klefbom this year. Really think Larsson will be the perfect compliment to his game.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
If the Swedes can provide legit first pairing type of play, how good is it going to be to have a top pair locked up for 5 years at 8.333 mil (and Klef 2 years beyond that)?

Very excited for Klefbom this year. Really think Larsson will be the perfect compliment to his game.

Going from Shultz to Larsson should have a HUGE impact on his game. Even if it's Sekera that would be a big improvement.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Going from Shultz to Larsson should have a HUGE impact on his game. Even if it's Sekera that would be a big improvement.

Exactly. I still don't think most people realize how much Larsson is going to improve our team.

A hole a mile wide stuffed full of quality. The change should be massive.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton

If you saw a raw player beyond the first 10 or so games I really have to question your ability in talent analysis. There was incredible maturity in his game while playing tough minutes, something we haven't had since Ryan Whitney's stretch when he initially got traded before the foot injury. This comment is seriously puzzling to me. Both the seen him good and analytics crowd seem to agree on this kid, and me being a part of the former I really just have to question what about his game you saw as raw? (The word in particular is strange to see since the word I'd use to describe his game is fluid, or maybe mature)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad