Tribute Orlov appreciation thread

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's going to be really difficult to upgrade over this guy in the near-term. They can add Chychrun or something but then that's a guy that helps man the top pair. An insulating tough minute second pair stabilizer that helped drive play is hard to part with at any age, particularly if having much of any hope at competing in the near-term.

One thing I'd note is I think his lower body injury may limit him come playoff time to some extent. It had since he returned anyway. He hasn't had the same burst. So Boston should probably not load up and play him oodles alongside McAvoy. A similar second pair role with Carlo should be fine. Great team he's headed to. Hard to see anyone stopping them in the East short of maybe CAR should they add another big piece.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I've never felt more secure, or more faith, in a defensive pairing then the Orlov - Niskanen pairing. I was always sad he changed out of 81, but I'll look at my 9 jersey fondly. Sad it had to come to this, many other guys should have been shipped awhile ago before we had to get to Orlov.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Was there was when he was drafted. Followed his development to becoming a full time NHL dman. Watched him lift the SC. Solid tenure as a caps player. I mean draft success here. That said I recall his early games in the NHL dman he was way more squirrely than Siegs/AA/Johan but had way more rope to learn the way compared to the last few years with Fever being the only one.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Was there was when he was drafted. Followed his development to becoming a full time NHL dman. Watched him lift the SC. Solid tenure as a caps player. I mean draft success here. That said I recall his early games in the NHL dman he was way more squirrely than Siegs/AA/Johan but had way more rope to learn the way compared to the last few years with Fever being the only one.
Orlov was the player for which we affectionately developed the pizzas/60 metric. He loved to deliver pizzas (bad turnovers in high-danger zones) and we used to joke on these boards that when you played Orlov a lot of times you were playing four forwards or that he played like a defenseman in beer league who was great at rushing the puck and then went for a line change when the puck was on defense.

It's been awesome to see the player he turned into and this one hurts the morning after. He was the longest tenured Capital behind Ovi, Backstrom, and Carlson and he was every bit a piece of this core as were some of the other bigger names.

I wish him the best and won't be disappointed if he decides to change his contract demands and wants to come home this summer.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Didn't thought he would come back at a good level after his injury at the Worlds in 2014.
Missed the 14-15 with the Caps due to that injury.
But now he's a SC champ.

Reactions: Neil Racki

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Loved Orly's willingness to push the pace, and play up-tempo. And Nisky was an ideal partner for him. He still has a bomb of a slapshot, and can snipe wristers with the best of them. Totally agree that he was one of the best development successes for this organization. Hope he and Hath have a solid playoff run with the Bs

Reactions: Neil Racki

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
1677255952266.png

He is in this photo, therefore will always hold a special place in Caps history.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I've never felt more secure, or more faith, in a defensive pairing then the Orlov - Niskanen pairing. I was always sad he changed out of 81, but I'll look at my 9 jersey fondly. Sad it had to come to this, many other guys should have been shipped awhile ago before we had to get to Orlov.
I’m wearing one of my Orlov jerseys today (all day) in tribute. It’s the road white 9. I thought about the red 81, but I wanted it to be more on point (and SC Proud).

I will miss Orlov. But *hopefully* only for a few months and we can bring him back.

PS - Tex would be beside himself. He loved Orlov. We used to PM about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad