Confirmed with Link: Orlov and Hathaway and Andrei Svetlakov to Boston for 2023 first-round pick, 2025 second-round pick, 2024 third-round pick, and forward Craig Smith

blindsideheadshot

Jun 26, 2013
So latest reporting from TA says that the Jackets were blindsided by this trade, as they thought they had a deal done with Boston for Gavrikov. Sounds like BMac essentially swooped in and stole their deal. Now they’re not sure they will get the same kind of return with LA, TOR, or EDM possibly in the mix for Gavikrov, and are apparently back to square one.

Further, this year’s 1st, that they were expecting from the trade, was crucial to a deal for Chychrun that they’ve been working on since the summer when Gaudreau signed. They obviously won’t trade their own 1st as they are currently in the Bedard spot after tonight’s Ducks win. So, that’s pretty interesting.

So give BMac credit for getting ahead of the market even if the return was a bit less than hoped. I imagine a team like EDM may have been on Orlov’s 5-team NTC, as guys typically have a lot of Canadian teams on their lists just because of taxes (and maybe the market/weather), with maybe TOR, or MTL as exceptions.

In any event, I do wish Orlov had gone to EDM or TOR, so I could at least root for him. I can’t stomach these Bruins.
I'm hoping Mac double swoops and goes and gets Chychrun next.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Can't we draft and develop anyone similar to Strome and Horseshack? I know there are gems in the pipe meh but I think our drafting/development kinda sucks. Yeah I am f***ing pissed we traded away Hathaway.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The CBJ story highlights the fact is that it's not just buyers who have needs and sellers who have power.

The Caps have actual needs and the other side knows this when making deals. So everyone has some leverage. Every GM in the league knows that Caps desperately need assets and 100% must get value for their pending UFAs.

(Imagine the crying here if Orlov wasn't traded because the offers "weren't what we expected" and then walked for nothing.)

These are negotiations, and it seems BMac has enough sense to not better-deal himself out of a good trade. He's not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good which is key in an imperfect situation.

Can't we draft and develop anyone similar to Strome and Horseshack? I know there are gems in the pipe meh but I think our drafting/development kinda sucks. Yeah I am f***ing pissed we traded away Hathaway.
He could come back. Or we could get another gritty guy. This is only the first step in a process. Best to wait for results before judging them. Patience my friend.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The CBJ story highlights the fact is that it's not just buyers who have needs and sellers who have power.

The Caps have actual needs and the other side knows this when making deals. So everyone has some leverage. Every GM in the league knows that Caps desperately need assets and 100% must get value for their pending UFAs.

(Imagine the crying here if Orlov wasn't traded because the offers "weren't what we expected" and then walked for nothing.)

These are negotiations, and it seems BMac has enough sense to not better-deal himself out of a good trade. He's not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good which is key in an imperfect situation.

He could come back. Or we could get another gritty guy. This is only the first step in a process. Best to wait for results before judging them. Patience my friend.
Patience is running thin after 4 years of first round failures. I guess we can only expect a cup every 40 years.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Once you start you can't really stop tearing it down, yeah? If you're holding the line at three years to Orlov you're not all that interested in competing in the short-term it seems to me. If an Orlov type elsewhere were to hit the market this summer and they had a gaping second pair hole they wouldn't go beyond three years? Bitch please.

They're probably nearing the point where the car keys need to be taken away from grandpa. They're an incoherent mess.

Orlov not getting 6 years is because in three years he'll be Oshie on D. It's a prudent line to hold.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Patience is running thin after 4 years of first round failures. I guess we can only expect a cup every 40 years.
come on, RH. hathaway is old. the wheels will come off soon for him.

kind of beagle story. let some other team pay him.

give CBJ a 2nd, sign gavrikov. he's significantly younger than orlov. and cheaper.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Glad to see that both Orlov and Hathaway are performing well in Boston. Orlov with two goals last night, that's only going to reenforce his and his agents position regarding his next contract. They are looking at a Colton Parayko type of deal.

Kudos to BMAC for standing his ground.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad