GDT: Opening Night: Blues vs. Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
After watching last night, Illitch and Holland in hindsight would've upped their offer to Ryan Suter to 20 years and $200 million last June.

Detroit is, most assuredly, not the place to be anymore while the Blues are the envy of the league.

Good times.

Fred Murtz

Jan 20, 2009
Blues player intros and trophy presentations

TERRORsenko 1st goal

TERRORsenko 2nd goal

Oshie goal

Stewart 1st goal

Stewart 2nd goal

Bergland goal

HNIC 60 year tribute

Last edited:

Fred Murtz

Jan 20, 2009
You're welcome, I added the Stewart 1st goal, there was so much scoring and with all the rust from the lockout I'm pedaling to catch up.

Also gonna get the 3 stars video up with TERRORsenko. What a night Blues fans. :handclap:

Twister18

yeah he`s a dirty little punk but thats exactly what we have Reaves for, he should have taken onto Tootoo right after it

does anyone have a vid from this stuff?
couldn`t find it on yt

Reaves went over to the penalty box and said some choice words at TooToo who repeated the **** you twice to him(saw it on the replay at home) , and i think it was gonna be a certain they would have tangled but Reaves got a 10 minute penalty when Halak got ran and therefore no pummeling.

I really don't think Polak could handle TooToo, who is a dirty lil **** but he is a pretty good fighter as well. Stewart would be the only other match on the Blues for him. imho

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Reaves went over to the penalty box and said some choice words at TooToo who repeated the **** you twice to him(saw it on the replay at home) , and i think it was gonna be a certain they would have tangled but Reaves got a 10 minute penalty when Halak got ran and therefore no pummeling.

I really don't think Polak could handle TooToo, who is a dirty lil **** but he is a pretty good fighter as well. Stewart would be the only other match on the Blues for him. imho

Polak, Reaves and Stewart would kick Tootoo's asss

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

Polak might actually be our best fighter. He doesn't fight much, but he wins decisively every time he does it seems like.

SoulChaser17

Dec 17, 2011
St. Louis
If the Polak door is opened I'm not sure there's many who could stand up to such wrath. I find it hard to believe a piece of **** like Tootoo could handle it.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Random thoughts:

1. Berglund was a monster on the backcheck, and an even fiercer one protecting the puck/around the net. He did a lot of little things last night that caused opportunities that translated to chances/goals.

2. Sign Sobotka to an extension now. He was filthy last night...I would attribute a double digit percentage of the Red Wings frustration to him alone. Maybe I'm bias, but he's one of the best I've seen at winning zones.

3. Russell is a player that plays well beyond his perceived capability. He draws a lot of attention with his skating ability and has the vision to make the pass to the soft area he created. He's obviously no petro, but his ability to rise over pressure is a skill that we would sorely miss.

4. The pass Petro made was arguably not the most impressive thing he did last night. He looks comfortable winning battles against 3 opposition players by his lonesome. It cannot be overstated how special of a player he is.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Wings are such a soft team, the Blues weren't nearly as physical as usual.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Random thoughts:

1. Berglund was a monster on the backcheck, and an even fiercer one protecting the puck/around the net. He did a lot of little things last night that caused opportunities that translated to chances/goals.

2. Sign Sobotka to an extension now. He was filthy last night...I would attribute a double digit percentage of the Red Wings frustration to him alone. Maybe I'm bias, but he's one of the best I've seen at winning zones.

3. Russell is a player that plays well beyond his perceived capability. He draws a lot of attention with his skating ability and has the vision to make the pass to the soft area he created. He's obviously no petro, but his ability to rise over pressure is a skill that we would solely miss.

4. The pass Petro made was arguably not the most impressive thing he did last night. He looks comfortable winning battles against 3 opposition players by his lonesome. It cannot be overstated how special of a player he is.

yes + extra letters

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Why was Schwartz' ice time so low? I thought he was playing on the 3rd line

Last edited:

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
No powerplay time. I also recall a time where McDonald couldn't get off the ice and THEN there was an icing.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Random thoughts:

3. Russell is a player that plays well beyond his perceived capability. He draws a lot of attention with his skating ability and has the vision to make the pass to the soft area he created. He's obviously no petro, but his ability to rise over pressure is a skill that we would sorely miss.

They cannot resign Sobotka until next season.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Petro is to us what Lidstrom was to the Wings. He's a freaking prodigy and it's a privilege to watch him play, he's that good. Blues will be able to win and challenge for Cups because of him, far and away the most important reason.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Random thoughts:

Everyone on the ice looked like they looked at what they needed to work on and improved their game. I was very impressed by everyone. Sobotka and Nichol were just relentless on the PK and were able to hold the puck in the Red Wings zone for what seemed like was most of the PK.

SoulChaser17

Dec 17, 2011
St. Louis
Petro is to us what Lidstrom was to the Wings. He's a freaking prodigy and it's a privilege to watch him play, he's that good. Blues will be able to win and challenge for Cups because of him, far and away the most important reason.

Pietrangelo is ****ing amazing and definitely our absolute greatest defenseman. There's no arguing that. Still not sure I'd put him on the level of Lidstrom quite yet, though he's pretty close. He showed his vulnerability against the Kings in the last playoff series I think. In any case we're so much less without him. So long as he and everyone else remains relatively healthy, we have a really good shot at winning the cup finally.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Pietrangelo is ****ing amazing and definitely our absolute greatest defenseman. There's no arguing that. Still not sure I'd put him on the level of Lidstrom quite yet, though he's pretty close. He showed his vulnerability against the Kings in the last playoff series I think. In any case we're so much less without him. So long as he and everyone else remains relatively healthy, we have a really good shot at winning the cup finally.

The only vulnerability he had against the Kings was getting shoved head first into the boards. After that he came back and played injured, and nothing can really be read into that.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The only vulnerability he had against the Kings was getting shoved head first into the boards. After that he came back and played injured, and nothing can really be read into that.
Exactly.

Pietrangelo pretty much single handedly made Oshie and Berglund score with those sweet passes. He made it look so easy too. :laugh:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

I don't think P9s is saying he's on Lidstrom's level, just that he makes us competitive with anyone, similar to how Lids made the Wings competitive with anyone. There is actually a pretty shocking similarity between Petro and Lids' game though. They usually don't do anything that gets you out of your seat, but just play a flawless 20 minutes a night.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

Carcillo pounded Polak pretty quick. I would say Polak couldn't handle Tootoo. He's quick. Polak isn't.

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Fortunately for Colaiacovo, there is already a whipping boy in Detroit.

Kyle Quincey was getting reamed in their GDT. Worth a read though.

KQ is ****ing awful and most of us do not like him in Detroit. We want to see some of our kids brought up from GR to play, but Kenny just isn't doing it yet.

You guys definitely kicked our ***** all over the ice. I wish the Wings would start bringing in some bigger, physical guys. We keep getting manhandled and it's just not fun to watch.

On the other hand, when Hitchcock used to coach the Kalamazoo Wings back when I was young, he'd sit in the stands during warmups and watch the guys skate. I'd get his autograph almost every weekend. I'm sure I annoyed him. Glad to see he's having success in the NHL :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad