GDT: Opening Night: Blues vs. Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Amazing game! Tank is a beast. I had him on my bench in my fantasy league, but he just earned himself a solid spot :)

Stewart looked good as well and glad to see him back in the groove that the Blues need him in.

Can't believe how many break outs the Blues had in this game. They dominated the entire game.

Nah, the Red Wings controlled the first 2 minutes of the game :D

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
No forwards with over 18 minutes and 2 defencemen with just a shade over 22 minutes. The scoreline obviously plays a factor in that, but in a shortened season, knowing that we can spread ice-time like that is a big bonus.

In that kind of win everyone contributes, but I'm a little surprised Shatty hasn't been mentioned more. I think a few of us remembered the photos of him in Finland and weren't completely sure what to expect the first week or 2, but he was certainly ready. Looked pretty dominant in all aspects of the game tonight.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'll take it. My dream had The Blues win 6-0. Trasenko scored the first, Stewart the 2nd, Oshie 3rd. Perron 4th and Berglund 5th and McDionald 6th. I got the score right and the shutout, and I got 4 of the 6 goal scorers. Not too bad, I must say. I'm actually more glad that Tarasenko and Stewart got 2 each.
You need to start dreaming bigger. Like, Stanley Cup bigger. Seriously. Start tonight if it's not too much trouble.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Wings fan coming in peace and saying: I'm jealous of your team's youth, energy, and depth!

I have been picking the Blues as sleepers for what seems like a decade, but now they should be lumped in as contenders. If you guys add another 2nd pairing calibre Dman (or better), you're my pick for the cup. Hopefully the Wings can be better competition next time we meet.

Thanks. With one second pairing D-man the Blues might be a contender. Or that guy might be Ian Cole, who looked better than anyone of the Detroit D-men tonight. If he fails we might end up missing the playoffs, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Thanks. With one second pairing D-man the Blues might be a contender. Or that guy might be Ian Cole, who looked better than anyone of the Detroit D-men tonight. If he fails we might end up missing the playoffs, right?

I just think that if AP were to go down you guys would struggle mightily to regain form, but if you guys added a solid #3 or #4 guy at the deadline it might help a lot. Didn't that happen last year? I was literally on the Wings board sticking up for you guys:laugh: arguing that you have a better team than the Rangers.

triple edit: Redden could be that #4 guy, totally forgot about him.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
I just think that if AP were to go down you guys would struggle mightily to regain form, but if you guys added a solid #3 or #4 guy at the deadline it might help a lot. Didn't that happen last year? I was literally on the Wings board sticking up for you guys:laugh: arguing that you have a better team than the Rangers.

triple edit: Redden could be that #4 guy, totally forgot about him.

Meh, don't worry about it.

Blues fans tend to have a complex against the Red Wings and think there is some great rivalry there when it's mostly been the likes of Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, etc knocking our dicks in the dirt for the past twenty years. So now that the Blues are starting to be good again and the Red Wings are trending down some fans are just going to be obnoxious.

Anyway back to the D that you brought up. Ian Cole could be the top four we are looking for. He has all the tools we are looking for in a partner for Pietrangelo but has had problems with consistency so far. If he can start to show he can play at a consistent level this year then our D should be in really good shape. Would it nice to get a vet d-man for that role? Sure. But we are a budget team after all so it might be hard to find the right trade that we can afford in assets and actual salary.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Meh, don't worry about it.

Blues fans tend to have a complex against the Red Wings and think there is some great rivalry there when it's mostly been the likes of Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, etc knocking our dicks in the dirt for the past twenty years. So now that the Blues are starting to be good again and the Red Wings are trending down some fans are just going to be obnoxious.

Anyway back to the D that you brought up. Ian Cole could be the top four we are looking for. He has all the tools we are looking for in a partner for Pietrangelo but has had problems with consistency so far. If he can start to show he can play at a consistent level this year then our D should be in really good shape. Would it nice to get a vet d-man for that role? Sure. But we are a budget team after all so it might be hard to find the right trade that we can afford in assets and actual salary.

Yeah I hope Redden or Cole pan out. It would honestly be a shame if you guys couldn't put together a cup in the coming years because of ownership not ponying up a couple more million a year. I'm a big fan of Pietrangelo and Elliot, they need to win.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I only was able to watch the first two periods because the DVR where I'm at tonight cut out, but that's fine since there was a lot to enjoy in the first two. Some first impressions off the top of my head:

The first 5 minutes of the game were pretty rough for Cole, but I thought he settled in well after that. The rest of the defense looked solid all around, and everyone flashed at times.

Forward lines all looked great, IMO. Schwartz didn't crack the score sheet, but he played a really solid game. I saw some rough edges in his transition defense a few times (footwork and angles mostly), but IMO he's clearly ready to be a full-time NHL player.

Can't say enough about Tarasenko's debut, so I'm not going to try. McDonald and Steen are a wonderful match for him. Their collective hockey IQ, work ethic, and ability to create offense off both the rush and cycle is going to make them a very dangerous line.

Speaking of Steen, he was abused in the faceoff circle, but I think his play at center tonight should put to rest any fears of that experiment falling on its face. He looked very good.

Was very happy to see Stewart get off to a strong start. He played a confident and (mostly) decisive game tonight, moving his feet well, and he showed some nice chemistry with his linemates.

I was hoping for a bit more authoritative showing from Berglund, but I thought his game was solid tonight nonetheless.

Backes and Oshie were difference makers in spite of a very tough assignment. Can't say enough about their effort.

Perron did some nice things on the ice, but his discipline is still very hit and miss. If anyone disappointed me tonight, it was him.

Halak didn't see a lot of rubber, but he looked locked in mentally and he stopped everything he saw. He took aggressive angles and spent a lot of time at the top of his crease. He played a strong, confident game. IMO, he should get the next start.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Went back and re-watched the game highlights.

It's incredibly awesome how good of passes Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, and Cole made to cause those breakaway goals. It's nice to have that puck-moving ability.

Also, it's a pretty good sign when T.J. Oshie scores 3 points and you hardly hear anything about him because of what the rest of the team did.... I never thought I'd see the day.

Loved Tarasenko's reaction after his first goal. He looks like an excited little kid, it's awesome.

This team could be something...

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
Yeah I hope Redden or Cole pan out. It would honestly be a shame if you guys couldn't put together a cup in the coming years because of ownership not ponying up a couple more million a year. I'm a big fan of Pietrangelo and Elliot, they need to win.

At this point I am looking at Redden more of a guy that's just going to come in to cover for injuries or give guys like Jackman, who tends to wear down and become ineffective, a breather in this shortened season as well as provide some off ice leadership for what is still a young team. If we get anything more than that I will be ecstatic.

Maybe you guys can coax Lidstrom to come out of retirement and play half a season next to Pietrangelo for us?? :laugh:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
At this point I am looking at Redden more of a guy that's just going to come in to cover for injuries or give guys like Jackman, who tends to wear down and become ineffective, a breather in this shortened season as well as provide some off ice leadership for what is still a young team. If we get anything more than that I will be ecstatic.

Maybe you guys can coax Lidstrom to come out of retirement and play half a season next to Pietrangelo for us?? :laugh:

If you give us a time machine so that he can continue to be ~30 years old every season, you can borrow him for this one:naughty:

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Can't get over the fact that the Wings traded a first round pick for Kyle Quincey. Wow.

Just an amazing game for the Blues. The talent they have on the roster, the depth ... just sick. In 15-20 years, when Pietrangelo eventually retires (hopefully all with the Blues), they're going to have the same dropoff Detroit will have without Lidstrom. They're a middle of the pack team at best.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Kind of excited for Tarasenko to visit Smashville on Monday. However, I hope Weber smashes him.

Also, did Tootoo do anything tonight against you all?

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Kind of excited for Tarasenko to visit Smashville on Monday. However, I hope Weber smashes him.

Also, did Tootoo do anything tonight against you all?

Tried headshotting Tarasenko while leaving his feet. Can't stand Tootoo, he is a classless player. The NHL doesn't need players like him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Surprisingly though that's the only thing Tootoo did that was noticeable all game. He was invisible and provided the Wings absolutely no energy.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Tootoo took a dive when pushed from behind but fortunately did not get the call.

Stewart was noticeably faster/quicker with his 20 lb weight loss. He was banging bodies and looked like a different player. Excited to see what he does this season.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
What a game last night, wow does Tarasenko look good but well see if he can keep it up. Good to see Stewart looking like he did when we first got him. I'm trying not to get too excited I can't help it, that game was one of the best I have been to in years.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Blues are a great team to watch.

Man... AP, that pass to Oshie on the PK was a world class play right there... slap pass from his own hashmarks to just around the blue line... basically a 3 line pass from his own end... ridicolous.

VT looks great too, fantastic debut.

If I had to put money on a team from the West to win the cup, I am pushing all in on the Blues... and not just because of last night, you guys have the right mix, reminds me of the Bruins to be honest.

Look forward to watching more STL games, good luck in your season!!

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
I think I've watched the highlights at least 3 times since last night. Can't get enough. I admit... I have read for the past year or so, from you guys about Tarasenko, but I really knew little of him. I went into the game wondering if he was gonna live up to all of the talk... man did he. I did not expect to be so impressed, but I sure am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad