One year later: Larsson for Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
The board is too peaceful at the moment so I thought that we could use some debate. :sarcasm:

Suppose that you could go back in time as the Oilers GM to address the need for a right-shot defenceman. You have the benefit of one year's hindsight. You can make this trade, or not. If not, then you would probably have to do something else. Some examples based on rumours from last year:

- Meet Montreal's price for Subban (Draisaitl, 4th overall pick, Klefbom/Nurse, possibly more);
- Try to sign Demers in free agency;
- Trade RNH+ for Dumba.

This information is just to contextualize the situation at the time. Perhaps you would do nothing. The question is about this particular trade: "yes" or "no."

Do you trade Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The board is too peaceful at the moment so I thought that we could use some debate. :sarcasm:

Suppose that you could go back in time as the Oilers GM to address the need for a right-shot defenceman. You have the benefit of one year's hindsight. You can make this trade, or not. If not, then you would probably have to do something else. Some examples based on rumours from last year:

- Meet Montreal's price for Subban (Draisaitl, 4th overall pick, Klefbom/Nurse, possibly more);
- Try to sign Demers in free agency;
- Trade RNH+ for Dumba.

This information is just to contextualize the situation at the time. Perhaps you would do nothing. The question is about this particular trade: "yes" or "no."

Do you trade Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson?

I did not mind the trade at the time, though I expected Hall would be worth more on the market. But Larsson was a legitimate talent even at the time of the trade. He met and even exceeded expectations. Hall, on the other hand, seems to have hit the plateau in NJ.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
I think it's a clear win for the Oilers right now. Larsson was exactly what they needed.

Maybe it can be a win-win and the Devils end up happy as well but right now they seem to be really missing Larsson.

Oilers get a top pairing D signed long term to 4M/year - Devils get a star winger signed for 6M.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I was skeptical at first but Adam Larsson has been a beauty for the Oilers. He has given us stability in the backend that we haven't seen in many many years. He has also helped elevate Klefbom's game which is another win within this win. :)

Hall, on the other hand, seems like a little b***h saying that he hopes the Oilers lose in the playoffs and also didn't look like that "motivated player" in NJ like he said he would be.

Moving out Mr. Injury-prone and the one-dimensional winger and replacing him with a warrior and a good team guy like Larsson was key to the epic franchise turnaround.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Without the benefit of hindsight, I would not have made the trade. I am sure the majority of fans feel it was too much to give up for Larsson though good was still unproven as a top defenseman whereas Hal was proven as a top LW.

Of course now the trade seems to favor the Oilers but in time maybe Hall will thrive when NJ gets better too.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
First of all, peaceful? I've rarely seen such a contentious period in all my years of lurking.

In answer to the question, honestly, I'd rather keep Hall.
I love Adam. He's my favourite Oiler on the team. But if that trade could be reversed, if there were a 'tradsies backsies' clause on deals, were I Chiarelli, I would enact such a clause.
As much as we all love Larsson, he's not the paragon of his position. He's not Hjarlmason or Vlasic. He might be be their heir apparent, but right now he's not immune to brutal give aways and blueline brainfarts.
The main weakness in our team in a lack of secondary drive and scoring ability. I would have a lot more confidence going into this upcoming season with Hall as our second line six million man as opposed to Looch and Nuge.
You go after fellows like Demers or Stone or Hamonic,. But giving up Hall for Larsson, in retrospect, was not the move to solve our woes.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
First of all, peaceful? I've rarely seen such a contentious period in all my years of lurking.

I love Adam. He's my favourite Oiler on the team. But if that trade could be reversed, if there were a 'tradsies backsies' clause on deals, were I Chiarelli, I would enact such a clause.
As much as we all love Larsson, he's not the paragon of his position. He's not Hjarlmason or Vlasic. He might be be their heir apparent, but right now he's not immune to brutal give aways and blueline brainfarts.
The main weakness in our team in a lack of secondary drive and scoring ability. I would have a lot more confidence going into this upcoming season with Hall as our second line six million man as opposed to Looch and Nuge.
You go after fellows like Demers or Stone or Hamonic,. But giving up Hall for Larsson, in retrospect, was not the move to solve our woes.

Interesting way of looking at it. If we got to see this secondary drive, we would be stuck with huge problems in the D end. Demers didn't look so hot last year. Hamonic for a first and two seconds is pretty stomachable. But all of this is very different now that we have time to adjust to the idea of Draisaitl and Lucic on the second line with McDavid and Maroon anchoring the first.
I suspect we will develop this secondary drive by the end of game 82. Larsson and Klefbom should see yet another huge step forward.

I still make that trade with the power of hindsight, AINEC.

Because secondary scoring is much easier to track down than first pairing defenders.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm still kinda 50-50 on this to be honest.

I think we would have made the playoffs anyway with Klefbom + McDavid back and adding in Kris Russell (so basically 2 extra D added to the back end).

Hall is a better player than Lucic on a good contract for several more years. I think we should have just waited. Could've had a few kicks at the can for guys like Hamonic or others.

I do like Adam Larsson but it was a steep price to pay.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

I think he's better than Hjalmarsson.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I am happy with the trade it filled a vital need, but I'm still questioning if we got proper value for Hall. For those who think Hall isn't doing well in NJ just based on looking at points, you should look at his With Or With You stats, just like his time here he makes nearly anyone he is playing with better.

I'm still a big fan of Hall, he can provide much the same element that Kessel does in Pittsburgh.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Trade has worked out perfectly.

Bingo

Hall got a whole three more points than Lucic. Plus the Oilers had their best top defence pairing in a decade.

Hall won't play 82 games again in this league. Maybe he has two 50 point seasons left in him.

Absolutely beauty deal that feels so good now.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Since defense is a very large part of hockey besides just offense...

Larsson has been extremely beneficial to this team and has helped this team more than Hall did.

Hall is a top line winger but Larsson is even better than most give him credit for... he's an exceptional dman who plays tough minutes and excels.

Doesn't hurt that he's on a relatively cheap contract as well.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
100%

I'm also not sure how long Hall will be "elite".

Larsson is such a stud, He's the type of d man you need to win a cup

I would take Hall on the team over any forward not named MacDavid and Draisaitl. He was really good for a few seasons, the only true star player in that eiition of the Oilers.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I'm not sure how that is relivent to my post? I never said Hall is garbage.

I guess I was responding to the bracketed word "elite," which seemed to imply that he somehow was less than. But I agree that the injury history is now a concern and with NJ not providing much support, he may well never approach his point totals from a few years ago. He's more like a 70 games, 65 point player now.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I guess I was responding to the bracketed word "elite," which seemed to imply that he somehow was less than. But I agree that the injury history is now a concern and with NJ not providing much support, he may well never approach his point totals from a few years ago. He's more like a 70 games, 65 point player now.

65 points? He was a 72 game 53 point player last season.

I'd say he's a 65-75 game 45-55 point player now. He might break 60 points once more in his career, but I would take an even money bet that he doesn't.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I'm still kinda 50-50 on this to be honest.

I think we would have made the playoffs anyway with Klefbom + McDavid back and adding in Kris Russell (so basically 2 extra D added to the back end).

Hall is a better player than Lucic on a good contract for several more years. I think we should have just waited. Could've had a few kicks at the can for guys like Hamonic or others.

I do like Adam Larsson but it was a steep price to pay.

Chia overpaid.

I love Larssson, and he is what the Oil needed to suceed, ...but still an overpayment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia