One Player Per Franchise (OPPF) draft - preliminary interest thread

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Any interest in doing the OPPF draft this year?

We usually start in late summer/early fall.

I can admin it, unless someone else really wants to.

Any rule changes this year? The only one I remember us talking about last year was whether to attach coaches to franchises like we do for players.

Last year's thread: OPPF Draft 2020 - Draft Thread

_____

Interested GMS:

TheDevilMadeMe - San Jose Rubber Puckies
BenchBrawl (zffssk) - Montreal Wanderers
Hawkey Town 18 - Chicago Cougars
tinyzombies - Verdun Maple Leafs
The Macho King - Richmond RiverDogs
Dirt 101 - Laval Rocket
Claude the Fraude - Regina Pats
ChiTownPhilly - Hammond Organ Grinders
ResilientBeast - Edmonton Flyers
tabness - Miami Vice

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Any interest in doing the OPPF draft this year?

We usually start in late summer/early fall.

I can admin it, unless someone else really wants to.

Any rule changes this year? The only one I remember us talking about last year was whether to attach coaches to franchises like we do for players.

I'm in.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I am in.

There is supposed to be an ATD Redux Part 2, but I think the OPPF draft should get priority to make sure there is time for it. Especially considering how long the post-draft period of the Redux has dragged on, who knows how long part 2 would take.

Also, as TDMM said, this is generally when the OPPF draft takes place, and as an established draft it should not lose its slot.

Finally, I think it's likely there will be time to do the Redux Part 2 after the OPPF anyway, and maybe spacing out the time between the two drafts will end up getting more participants.

Of course, this is just one person's opinion...

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Looks like we are on our way to making this happen.

Assuming we attach coaches to franchises, these are the guys from the last ATD I see as potential close calls:

*Scotty Bowman - In Montreal: 8 seasons, 5 Cups, 1 Jack Adams. In Detroit: 9 seasons, 3 Cups, 1 Jack Adams. He could honestly go either way. I'm leaning Detroit only because Montreal is so stacked already.

Lester Patrick - coached the Rangers for longer than the PCHA existed - he's a Ranger

Joel Quenneville - definitely Chicago

Dick Irvin - More seasons and more Cups in Montreal than Toronto - he's a Canadien

Barry Trotz - As much as his recent playoff runs increase his rating, he just spent too long in Nashville to be considered somewhere else

Tommy Gorman - He was more of a GM in Ottawa, so I'll say Montreal Maroons as coach

Ken Hitchcock - Definitely Dallas

*Pat Burns - Coached slightly longer in Montreal than Toronto. NJ - won the Cup but only coached 2 years. I'm leaning towards Montreal but not totally convinced.

*Jacques Demers - Detroit = coached a little longer, won 2 Jack Adams. Montreal - won the Cup. I'm leaning towards Detroit.

*Peter Laviolette - ? coached a little longer in Nashville but won a Cup in Carolina. I honestly have no idea.

Guys with a * could use more discussion

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I am interested.

But my anti-vax comment has me limited to posts. I can't like. I can't do several things (like specify what my punishment is). I want to be back 100% so i'll say no more on this matter.

I just want to talk and appreciate hockey history, at the end of the day.

Don't worry VanI, you don't need your PM privileges to play in the OPPF. There is no trading in it anyway. Just make sure to check daily since people won't be able to PM you when it's your turn. You know the drill.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Looks like we are on our way to making this happen.

Assuming we attach coaches to franchises, these are the guys from the last ATD I see as potential close calls:

*Scotty Bowman - In Montreal: 8 seasons, 5 Cups, 1 Jack Adams. In Detroit: 9 seasons, 3 Cups, 1 Jack Adams. He could honestly go either way. I'm leaning Detroit only because Montreal is so stacked already.

Lester Patrick - coached the Rangers for longer than the PCHA existed - he's a Ranger

Joel Quenneville - definitely Chicago

Dick Irvin - More seasons and more Cups in Montreal than Toronto - he's a Canadien

Barry Trotz - As much as his recent playoff runs increase his rating, he just spent too long in Nashville to be considered somewhere else

Tommy Gorman - He was more of a GM in Ottawa, so I'll say Montreal Maroons as coach

Ken Hitchcock - Definitely Dallas

*Pat Burns - Coached slightly longer in Montreal than Toronto. NJ - won the Cup but only coached 2 years. I'm leaning towards Montreal but not totally convinced.

*Jacques Demers - Detroit = coached a little longer, won 2 Jack Adams. Montreal - won the Cup. I'm leaning towards Detroit.

*Peter Laviolette - ? coached a little longer in Nashville but won a Cup in Carolina. I honestly have no idea.

Guys with a * could use more discussion

Bowman is obviously Montreal. If you want to put it in Detroit, I want Belfour to finally be in Dallas :p:

Gorman ought to be in Ottawa regardless of the GMing and the situation with Green. His legacy is too ingrained with that team. Though I guess Maroons is OK too and liberates Ottawa.

Burns is a mindf***, he spent about as much time in MTL, BOS and TOR. So let's just give him to the NJ, since he finally won his SC there.

Demers' soul belongs to the Canadiens, but yeah let's give him to Detroit for our purpose since his record is definitely better there, and he's guaranteed to be lost in MTL anyway.

Laviolette is Carolina/Hartford to me. He "feels" Carolina. Heck, I almost forgot he coached for Nashville.

Since a lot of coaches might get stuck in limbo among the big franchises, we should clarify other coaches, like Jacques Lemaire for example. To me, he's NJ for sure, although he spent more time in Minny.

Speaking of Belfour in Dallas earlier, I'd also like to see Patrick Roy in Colorado, depending how many teams we end up with, to free another Montreal skater for being included. Although we want to avoid getting rid of the "stressors" that made this game so fun to play and made us faced so many tough (and silly) decisions. A fine balance. No one really knows how this coaches business will impact that.

Last edited:

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Have some qualified initial interest... but my opinion on tying coaches to franchises remains unchanged- particularly if we want to grow the project and present a welcoming environment to new and infrequent participants...

I have an opinion- a pretty strong one, about tying coaches to franchises-

I don't like it. At all. Reason being- OPPF is a good place for people new to drafting to get their start. Granted, there's the multi-dimensional element of working out the intersections between Franchise Depth/Scarcity, Positional Requirements, and Ordinal Priority Per Position [a LOT of angles to consider!], BUT in return for that, people only need to figure assessments out to c. 400-500 or so, and not the 1000+ that we had in the 2020 ATD. Adding a Franchise Stricture to Coaches in the OPPF-draft adds additional complexity to the equation and requires the application of additional skill. It shouldn't be surprising that the proposal could be popular with experienced participants.

Digression: "McGrath's Law." Back, oh- about four decades ago, the Vermont Chess Association was the perhaps the most dynamic one in America- so much so that it was featured in the National Magazine. It was headed by a fellow named "McGrath." When asked about the ingredients that made that organization so burgeoning, he quipped that a key to their success was the following policy:

1) Listen carefully to how your strongest players want the Organization to be run.
2) Do the opposite.

Proposals such as tying Coaches to Franchises here reminded me of "McGrath's Law."

Reactions: The Macho King

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Have some qualified initial interest... but my opinion on tying coaches to franchises remains unchanged- particularly if we want to grow the project and present a welcoming environment to new and infrequent participants...

The opposite argument - The ATD is a little stale. The MLD grew so stale that we don't do it anymore. The OPPF was a breath of fresh air. Keeping the exact same rules for the OPPF, with what looks like it could be the exact same number of teams is a great way to turn this draft stale.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'll manage the Canadiens' AHL affiliate: Laval Rocket :)

Laval-Rocket-Logo.png

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Speaking of Belfour in Dallas earlier, I'd also like to see Patrick Roy in Colorado, depending how many teams we end up with, to free another Montreal skater for being included. Although we want to avoid getting rid of the "stressors" that made this game so fun to play and made us faced so many tough (and silly) decisions. A fine balance. No one really knows how this coaches business will impact that.

I'd be fine switching Belfour to Dallas. His playoff resume is so much stronger in Dallas that you can at least make an argument that it trumps the stronger and longer regular season resume in Chicago. I'm also giving a little extra leeway due to his position.

For Roy, I really don't see the argument for Colorado over Montreal, and if you make the switch then you're opening up the door for switching other players' franchises just to change up the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00