OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This isn’t directed at you, just jumping off your post as it was the last one on the topic. I followed this story in the news as well.

Like it was stated, if I were a distiller like T Rex I’d be severely pissed. All booze has to be approved by the ALCB because they control the warehousing and distribution to the retail stores. So it received regulatory approval to be containered and sold in that quantity.

Then the free market does its thing (and it wasn’t illegal) and the UCP senses a “potential” societal backlash because of some wokester journalist at EJ, so they apply media pressure on their own regulatory board and a private business and try to look like they are “on the case” and on the side of the pearl clutchers.

I’m a dyed in the wool right sider, but the UCP had no business sticking their noses in a matter that met their own regulatory requirements and was being legally sold.

And before others get their panties in knots, I totally agree that alcohol impacts and in some cases causes certain societal problems, associated medical issues and pressure on the healthcare industry, but so too does a myriad of other things. That horse left the barn decades ago.

I can’t wait to see what they do when Safeway has a 2 for 1 sale on the big bags of Doritos or Taco Bell promotes their value menu items at reduced prices.

Call the police!!
Gonna disagree here. T Rex distilleries IS part of the problem if they are manufacturing this and distributing in Milk Jugs which is clear intent to cost cut and provide bulk for sale product. Its the rest of the distillery industry most of which strive to be successful and reputable that should be pissed.

I agree the store was using the jugs of spirits as a loss leader but the product was sold to be bargain basement swill, by the T Rex distillery.

ALCB should have caught this, this should have never been allowed on shelves,

But I also sense some real slippery slope of a domain that allowed Cannabis sales of any and all types that is now allowing the sale of consumable alcohol in 4L milk jugs. When they start selling the swill in milk jugs and advertising putting it on breakfast cereal is that when we tap?

Like you I think that moment arrived long ago. We are a nation of addiction. From Meth to Opiates to Cannabis, to Alcohol chronics be everywhere, moderation be damned, apparently. YES, the 4L milk jugs are signs of epidemic on user side as well. The whole existence of ALCB, now termed AGLC has failed in what was its original mandate to mitigate usage and allow only responsible usage of drugs/alcohol/gambling. Clearly theres no restraints now, none. Instead the bureaucratic AGLC seems to exist now only to further abuse and addiction.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Another topic on the news this week. Dangerous Cane Corso dogs killing child.

Through a dozen years of misdirection, and deluded decisions Alberta, and Edmonton have moved the wrong way as well on the dangerous dog profile.

Edmonton even took the misguided approach to repeal the classification and restrictions on dangerous breeds.

I don't have to tell anybody here the tragedy that unfolded this past week and largely because the cult of ownership of dangerous dogs has escalated to not only Rott, Doberman, Pit Bull but now Cane Corso. It seems like a canine arms race.

Yet this week as always "responsible pet owners" are weighing in everywhere as if by expertise, denouncing any critique of "these blessed animals" and blaming only owners that do not "responsibly train" these animals.

The death of the boy this week is tragedy because attacks by dangerous breeds are more common than publicized. They are also vastly underreported as owners seek to avoid attraction of attention or investigation.

In the recent incident before the boy was tragically killled By two Cane Corso dogs there were many prior reports, prior investigations and in none of these instances were the animals removed. Instead the denial of these animals being dangerous was systematic, unending, and involved not just the parents denial but denial on the part of the factions that represent bylaw and animal control that have relentlessly sought to protect these dangerous animals rather than working on behalf of bylaw to control the same and protect the population from the proliferation of these dangerous animals.

Whats next? I can expect my neighbors to be allowed to keep Jackals, Lions, tigers, Bears, Crocodiles?

Where does this stop and the Bans on dangerous animals be brought back to Urban jurisdiction. Any child should be able to live in a home without these present. Any citizen should be able to walk, cycle, run down a street without being attacked by these animals predator prey reaction.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Gonna disagree here. T Rex distilleries IS part of the problem if they are manufacturing this and distributing in Milk Jugs which is clear intent to cost cut and provide bulk for sale product. Its the rest of the distillery industry most of which strive to be successful and reputable that should be pissed.

I agree the store was using the jugs of spirits as a loss leader but the product was sold to be bargain basement swill, by the T Rex distillery.

But I also sense some real slippery slope of a domain that allowed Cannabis sales of any and all types that is now allowing the sale of consumable alcohol in 4L milk jugs. When they start selling the swill in milk jugs and advertising putting it on breakfast cereal is that when we tap?

Like you I think that moment arrived long ago. We are a nation of addiction. From Meth to Opiates to Cannabis, to Alcohol chronics be everywhere, moderation be damned, apparently. YES, the 4L milk jugs are signs of epidemic on user side as well. The whole existence of ALCB, now termed AGLC has failed in what was its original mandate to mitigate usage and allow only responsible usage of drugs/alcohol/gambling. Clearly theres no restraints now, none. Instead the bureaucratic AGLC seems to exist now only to further abuse and addiction.
We will disagree and that’s ok. :)

T Rex like any company produced a product to bring to the marketplace. We could argue whether they were trying to meet a demand or create one but without market intel it’s not a meaningful discussion. If their “swill” meets a niche market, so be it. It probably doesn’t compete with Grey Goose in terms of both product quality and packaging, but maybe they weren’t trying to compete in that same arena. There was discussion on Texas mickeys earlier this week in a thread. Novelty item? Perhaps but an example of packaging liquor in abundant quantities where it could be argued it’s not necessary.

ALCB had to approve the product, the packaging and labelling before it hit store shelves. That is part of their mandate for the product to be put into their catalogue of wholesale products. I don’t see how T Rex are the problem. They simply followed the rules with a legal product with the provincial regulator. The retailer as well, did not do anything illegal or even immoral for that matter. Who says that liquor retailing can’t use loss leaders that every other retail based business employs as a strategy to pull customers in. If selling in that quantity and price point was going to be an issue, then the ALCB was where the Buck stops.

I do understand though where you are coming from on this issue. Business practices that are openly enabling and promoting addiction is abhorrent and should be a non starter. I’m not yet convinced though that this was that happening. I can appreciate that in your professional experience you have insight that I do not.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We will disagree and that’s ok. :)

T Rex like any company produced a product to bring to the marketplace. We could argue whether they were trying to meet a demand or create one but without market intel it’s not a meaningful discussion. If their “swill” meets a niche market, so be it. It probably doesn’t compete with Grey Goose in terms of both product quality and packaging, but maybe they weren’t trying to compete in that same arena. There was discussion on Texas mickeys earlier this week in a thread. Novelty item? Perhaps but an example of packaging liquor in abundant quantities where it could be argued it’s not necessary.

ALCB had to approve the product, the packaging and labelling before it hit store shelves. That is part of their mandate for the product to be put into their catalogue of wholesale products. I don’t see how they are the problem. They simply followed the rules with a legal product with the provincial regulator. The retailer as well, did not do anything illegal or even immoral for that matter. Who says that liquor retailing can’t use loss leaders that every other retail based business employs as a strategy to pull customers in. If selling in that quantity and price point was going to be an issue, then the ALCB was where the Buck stops.

I do understand though where you are coming from on this issue. Business practices that are openly enabling and promoting addiction is abhorrent and should be a non starter. I’m not yet convinced though that this was that happening. I can appreciate that in your professional experience you have insight that I do not.
Absolutely the AGLC has not only failed in original mandate, they don't even mitigate addiction now but promote it and aid and abet it. Wholescale change required. I'm not prohibitionist in nature but I can can tell you even in knowing younger relatives, friends who happen to be alcoholics they were buying the 4L jugs in volume and consuming more than ever in what they already overconsume.

The Animals are out of the barn. For decades its been leading to this but the last decade being shocking in how much addiction, drugs, is destroying lives.

Agreed as well that the former Texas Mickeys were repugnant and contributed as well to over consumption.

There is no buck stops with the AGLC. They've abandoned the original mandate and reason that ALCB and such entities had originally been put in place. AGLC is now an industry promotion arm.

Who we are​

We are Alberta Gaming, Liquor & Cannabis.

Mission, vision, values​

Mission​

Create an environment for responsible choices to deliver economic and social benefits for Albertans.

Vision​

Strengthen Alberta through its leading-edge gaming, liquor and cannabis industries.

Values​

Whreas the original ALCB was put into place as a prohibitionist directive:

https://www.canlii.org/en/commentar...t0gAynlIAhFQCUAogBl7ANQCCAOQDC9saTB80KTsIiJAA

Note again I'm not supporting prohibition, just that there ARE negligible controls now. There isn't benevolence in action, society, individuals are not being protected from addiction the official legislative body is now encouraging addiction and proliferate sales and gambling.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Ridiculous take. So instead of buying the so called "swill" as you call it, people can still buy several bottles of similar product to equal it if they want. And there is plenty of other "swill" out there on the shelves, if you really look for it and want it. Last I looked, alcohol is legal here, and just because it's not top quality across the board, and available in larger containers than others, should not be reason to ban it. Ever heard of a Texas Mickey?

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
OJ Simpson dead at 76. I remember watching the trial with the presentation of the DNA evidence. It could not have been butchered worse if they had tried.

F1B29770-1AB1-430F-ABE6-7F4B5A624093.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Another topic on the news this week. Dangerous Cane Corso dogs killing child.

Through a dozen years of misdirection, and deluded decisions Alberta, and Edmonton have moved the wrong way as well on the dangerous dog profile.

Edmonton even took the misguided approach to repeal the classification and restrictions on dangerous breeds.

I don't have to tell anybody here the tragedy that unfolded this past week and largely because the cult of ownership of dangerous dogs has escalated to not only Rott, Doberman, Pit Bull but now Cane Corso. It seems like a canine arms race.

Yet this week as always "responsible pet owners" are weighing in everywhere as if by expertise, denouncing any critique of "these blessed animals" and blaming only owners that do not "responsibly train" these animals.

The death of the boy this week is tragedy because attacks by dangerous breeds are more common than publicized. They are also vastly underreported as owners seek to avoid attraction of attention or investigation.

In the recent incident before the boy was tragically killled By two Cane Corso dogs there were many prior reports, prior investigations and in none of these instances were the animals removed. Instead the denial of these animals being dangerous was systematic, unending, and involved not just the parents denial but denial on the part of the factions that represent bylaw and animal control that have relentlessly sought to protect these dangerous animals rather than working on behalf of bylaw to control the same and protect the population from the proliferation of these dangerous animals.

Whats next? I can expect my neighbors to be allowed to keep Jackals, Lions, tigers, Bears, Crocodiles?

Where does this stop and the Bans on dangerous animals be brought back to Urban jurisdiction. Any child should be able to live in a home without these present. Any citizen should be able to walk, cycle, run down a street without being attacked by these animals predator prey reaction.
Not one poster biting on this topic?

Urban ownership of dangerous animals is deplorable. I've yet in my life to find one owner of a classified dangerous animal reconsider even their choices after the latest women, child, adult, senior are killed, maimed, injured by these "pets"

Not meaning surrender your animals but surrender the denial that these animals are not potentially harmful if not lethal.

Its interesting in statistical analysis that young women are the group most likely to have these animals and support them and deny any harm. The same people often against handguns etc and yet they want canine versions of assault weapons. Walking them down public streets next to homes, yards, schools, playgrounds.

The tragedy of the death of the child killed in Edmonton this week is terrible. It is moreso that nobody ever wants to do much about it or even talk about it or submit concerns to the city which myself and my wife have on behalf of this young life lost. How many more?

I really wonder if dangerous canines is the considered the acceptable form of safety guard for individuals that have them. Ask any person why they have to have classified dangerous dog breeds and all they tell you is how lovely the animals are. How snuggly they are. They never touch on the reason their dog has to be those specific breeds. Its time to have those conversations.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Classic Bill Maher - great piece on our fine country. God knows the U.S has it's own share of unique problems, but a cautionary tale of our own homeland.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just had my bike stolen yesterday at Southgate Mall :(

Real bummed out now :(
We live in that area. Bad news for us - we've had all 4 of our bicycles stolen in the last 3 years. The good news? We have no more bikes for them to steal. Unfortunately, it's a neighbourhood under "revitalization" right now. Lots of older homes going vacant or being torn down for lot splitting and the skinny minnies going up. The older homes and vacant ones become havens for druggies and other sorts and bikes are one the of easier ways for them to get quick cash. I feel your pain.

Reactions: Giggleplex

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I’m curious what Edmonton residents think of the huge tax increases coming this year and the next couple after that? I’m working from memory but something like 8.7%, then projected increases averaging around 6% for two years. I said a couple of years ago this was coming. It’s not over after that. Buckle up!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I’m curious what Edmonton residents think of the huge tax increases coming this year and the next couple after that? I’m working from memory but something like 8.7%, then projected increases averaging around 6% for two years. I said a couple of years ago this was coming. It’s not over after that. Buckle up!
There are many more bike lanes, lights for bike lanes, electric buses and social issues programs that must be increased exponentially in the coming years in order for council to meet their target of consistent double digit increases every year. Way to go Edmonton, nice voting!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad