One McDavid or two Scheifeles to start a new team?

Two Scheifeles, One Cup

• Total voters

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Never understood the point of polls like this. 2/1 deals are just awful and make no sense. This isn't an NHL game where we turn off line changes and put McDavid on the ice the whole game, so who's the other center, or player?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I honestly don't understand how you take 1 McDavid and I'm an Oilers fan.

So if Edmonton trades McDavid for 2 Scheifeles for McDavid they can trade Drai for a #1 d-man and they'll be getting way more bang for their buck without having lost the slightest amount of depth.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Ok let's have some fun with this... Would you have on one line?

Scheif. Scheif Lowry

Vs

Maroon. Mcdavid. Rattie

15 millionish cap hit
Who would produce more ES?
Because that's the beauty with mcdavid. You can put him with plugs and he will make the 30 goal scorers

Or make it 20 millionish line
Scheif. Scheif. Wheeler

Vs

Rnh. Mcdavid. Maroon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
a
Scheifeles level player is much easier to acquire.

a player like McDavid might not come around for another 15 years.

I take the mcdavid level player and wait a few years to get my Scheifeles. I take one mcjebus over 3 Scheifeles.

This isn't collecting. It isn't about rarity. It is about production for the dollar.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Probably McDavid, but it's super close for me. The raise the two Scheifele's get will be less than the raise that Connor McDavid gets, by % of their current contract. Assuming the two Scheifele's continue their trajectory.

McDavid could sign for as much as 15/16m as a 28 year old. The other two could sign for 11-12 if they keep producing at these levels, when his contract expires. Much bigger raise comparatively.

I'm conditioned to believe McDavid will age much like Crosby and still be a top player in his 30's, I'm less inclined to believe that with Scheifele. No slight against Scheifele of course. There is always a chance you end up in Chicago's situation if you have two players that do too well and sign big when it's time to get a raise. He won't leave money on the table... whether winnipeg has the cups or not, is of little concern to his next deal. I hope they do, I like the team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
One Mcdavid, who said I wont be able to acquire a Scheifele type player? lol? Does taking Mcdavid mean i have Brandon Sutter as my 2C?

If you have the 2 Scheifeles then you can afford to have McDavid's 2C as your 3C, and so on. It can run right down through your entire roster.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
C'mon two Scheifeles obviously.

Got your #1 and #2 Centers locked down with ridiculously valuable deals. You can use the effort & the cap to strengthen other needs of your team. Your clone Scheifele army will get the job done at center.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
It warms my heart to see just how ridiculous the decks have to be stacked against McDavid for him to actually lose a poll. :laugh:

I unno why this is a ridiculous poll
Hfboards make it seem like you HAVE to have the best player in the league

So would you rather have 2 top 10 centres on your team for cheaper? Or 1 McDavid?
It's a real question because it's a possibility

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Probably McDavid, but it's super close for me. The raise the two Scheifele's get will be less than the raise that Connor McDavid gets, by % of their current contract. Assuming the two Scheifele's continue their trajectory.

McDavid could sign for as much as 15/16m as a 28 year old. The other two could sign for 11-12 if they keep producing at these levels, when his contract expires. Much bigger raise comparatively.

I'm conditioned to believe McDavid will age much like Crosby and still be a top player in his 30's, I'm less inclined to believe that with Scheifele. No slight against Scheifele of course. There is always a chance you end up in Chicago's situation if you have two players that do too well and sign big when it's time to get a raise. He won't leave money on the table... whether winnipeg has the cups or not, is of little concern to his next deal. I hope they do, I like the team.

Youre worried about 6 years from now?
Youre assuming a lot of things here
But youre not assuming you cant trade one and youre ignoring the fact you'd have 2 scheifele's for 8 years in total

It's all about NOW not 10 years from later..
The jets window for a cup is basically the length of scheifele's contract

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I'm voting for Scheifele, but I can see an argument for McDavid if you trust your scouting/drafting staff and value slot efficiency above all.

It's impossible to find that sort of a player outside of a rare-1OA bid but you can occasionally find a player of Scheifele's caliber in the latter phases of the 1st round.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
to be completely honest, I think oilers would much rather take Scheifele's contract over McDavid's contract.

100% true. As long as we did not have to take Scheifele with the contract and got to keep McD. Otherwise... Not a chance in hell

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Youre worried about 6 years from now?
Youre assuming a lot of things here
But youre not assuming you cant trade one and youre ignoring the fact you'd have 2 scheifele's for 8 years in total

It's all about NOW not 10 years from later..
The jets window for a cup is basically the length of scheifele's contract

Of course I'm assuming a lot of things, the OP is a shell of a thread and asks which you prefer in a vacuum. This is why these threads are pretty insignificant....they just leave so much out to the point where you have to make your own assumptions.

Why are you bringing up the Jets, etc? You're assuming you get to keep the whole of the Jets roster. Drai, RNH, Talbot don't exist in this poll. Neither does Wheeler, Laine, Buf etc. There are only three players you need to concern yourself with, nothing at all to do with the Jets "window"....

Pound for pound with only McDavid + blank roster VS 2X Scheif + a blank roster, why wouldn't you take BPA? I only have 2X scheif for 6 years because that is what remains on his contract, not 8. I get McDavid at 12.5m for an extra 2 years before he is due his raise. 2 Years of cost certainty is not nothing...

It's not all about Now. No GM should be in NOW mode, it's about building something that can compete and still be sustainable. It's hard to win in this iteration of the NHL, so going for bust seems like a bad idea. IMO.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Of course I'm assuming a lot of things, the OP is a shell of a thread and asks which you prefer in a vacuum. This is why these threads are pretty insignificant....they just leave so much out to the point where you have to make your own assumptions.

Why are you bringing up the Jets, etc? You're assuming you get to keep the whole of the Jets roster. Drai, RNH, Talbot don't exist in this poll. Neither does Wheeler, Laine, Buf etc. There are only three players you need to concern yourself with, nothing at all to do with the Jets "window"....

Pound for pound with only McDavid + blank roster VS 2X Scheif + a blank roster, why wouldn't you take BPA? I only have 2X scheif for 6 years because that is what remains on his contract, not 8. I get McDavid at 12.5m for an extra 2 years before he is due his raise. 2 Years of cost certainty is not nothing...

It's not all about Now. No GM should be in NOW mode, it's about building something that can compete and still be sustainable. It's hard to win in this iteration of the NHL, so going for bust seems like a bad idea. IMO.

It's rhe only waybto make sense ofnit
As an oilers fan OR a jets fan
I'd take 2 scheifele's jist based on the math of it

1 player who costs 12 million that can get you ~100 points
Or 2 centres that cost 12 million in total that can get you ~80 points each

160 points>100

And no. It's always about now because you can never guarantee another tomorrow.
While you shouldn't always put all your eggs in one basket you still to have eggs in your basket lol

So im not saying trade all your assets, but we're living inna vacuum and just go by basic math

Last edited:

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
I would rather have:

1 McDavid + 1 above average GM. That beats two Scheifeles all day. Sadly we don't have even an average GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad