One McDavid or two Scheifeles to start a new team?

Two Scheifeles, One Cup

• Total voters

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Mark Scheifele likely has a top 10 (or top 5) contract in the NHL in terms of value for an elite player, and since McDavid's contract is roughly double the cost (yet still good value for the best player in the league) I figured I'd throw out the question: including contracts, would you rather have one McDavid or two Scheifeles to build a team around?

If you're against human cloning you can think of it as two players of equivalent skill and dollar value to Scheifele.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
1 McDavid can get you ~100 points
2 Scheifeles can each get you ~80 points
It depends on who you have as the guy under McDavid though, and how expensive his AAV is. The salary cap probably swings this in the direction of the Scheifeles.
This is a bit like comparing Edmonton and Toronto (Matthews+Tavares) if Matthews and Tavares were on way cheaper deals.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
1 McDavid can get you ~100 points
2 Scheifeles can each get you ~80 points
It depends on who you have as the guy under McDavid though, and how expensive his AAV is. The salary cap probably swings this in the direction of the Scheifeles.
This is a bit like comparing Edmonton and Toronto (Matthews+Tavares) if Matthews and Tavares were on way cheaper deals.

I'd rather have 2 scheifele's at 12 mill than mcdacid and drai at 21 mil
I could still afford drai under that budget

Reactions: Snowman

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
One Mcdavid, who said I wont be able to acquire a Scheifele type player? lol? Does taking Mcdavid mean i have Brandon Sutter as my 2C?

You need more than two players on a hockey team though. So if you assume McDavid has an excellent 2C at a good contract that player would be just as useful as a 3C in the Scheifele scenario.

How anyone chooses McDavid for any other reason than marketing purposes (which a real team would care about) I would never know.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
a
Scheifeles level player is much easier to acquire.

a player like McDavid might not come around for another 15 years.

I take the mcdavid level player and wait a few years to get my Scheifeles. I take one mcjebus over 3 Scheifeles.

Reactions: dukeofjive

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Scheif is going to be recognized as a top 5 C in the league rather soon.. pay attention. Point is very good but not at that level yet.

there's probably easily as much gap between McDavid and Matthews as there is between Scheifele and Point though so that's pretty irrelevant

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Would you rather have 2 Brayden Point's or 1 Auston Matthews? Serious question. Assuming Matthews is at 11 mil and Point is at 5.5.
It's a little early for that since Point hasn't established who he is just yet.

With the OP you're talking about possibly/probably (and one day certainly) the best player in the league vs a top 10 player (x 2).
Some believe that Matthews will be the 2nd best player of his generation, so, for agruments sake, let's say he is. Would I take 2 of a top 10 player for him at the same cap hit for both? Absolutely.
In other words, you're example of Point may not be the best one. But to the philosophy of your argument, yes I would.

Reactions: jetsforever

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
It's a little early for that since Point hasn't established who he is just yet.

With the OP you're talking about possibly/probably (and one day certainly) the best player in the league vs a top 10 player (x 2).
Some believe that Matthews will be the 2nd best player of his generation, so, for agruments sake, let's say he is. Would I take 2 of a top 10 player for him at the same cap hit for both? Absolutely.
In other words, you're example of Point may not be the best one. But to the philosophy of your argument, yes I would.
You make zero sense.

The fact you said there's "not remotely an arguement here" when it comes to McDavid vs Scheifele X2, but make somewhat of a arguement when it comes to Matthews vs Point X2 just shows your bias.

Also, like Ricky said. The gap between McDavid and Matthews is just as big as the one between Scheifele and Point. Oh but Point hasn't established himself yet? His career high is 3 points less than Matthews

Last edited:

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Scheif is going to be recognized as a top 5 C in the league rather soon.. pay attention. Point is very good but not at that level yet.
And McDavid is the best player in the world at the age of 21 yrs old, and has already won 2 Art Ross trophies. Pay attention.

I never said Point was at Scheifele's level, just like Matthews isn't at McDavid's level

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
You make zero sense.

The fact you said there's "not remotely an arguement here" when it comes to McDavid vs Scheifele X2, but make somewhat of a arguement when it comes to Matthews vs Point X2 just shows your bias.

Also, like Ricky said. The gap between McDavid and Matthews is just as big as the one between Schefele and Point. Oh but Point hasn't established himself yet? His career high is 3 points less than Matthews
You're just wrong.

I realize you hate the Leafs and Leafs fans. But my argument is perfectly valid.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If you are rebuilding you take the McDavid and hope he carries you to being good.

Otherwise it’s scheifele easily

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
2 Scheiffeles

Really depends on the 2C with McDavid

2 Scheffeles > McDavid And Bozak for example

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
And McDavid is the best player in the world at the age of 21 yrs old, and has already won 2 Art Ross trophies. Pay attention.

I never said Point was at Scheifele's level, just like Matthews isn't at McDavid's level

Well what was the point of bringing up Matthews/Point then? Imo the difference between Scheif and Point is much larger than McDavid and Matthews. 3 are #1 centers and one is a #2 center who can still prove to be a #1. Not really comparable.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
McDavid.

The salary can be taken from the 4th liners and the bottom pairing, the 2C can still be good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad