Post-Game Talk: Ondrej "The Boss" Pavelec does it again: 1-0 Jets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Backes with two cross-checks on the neck of Stuart while he was down... The second one worse IIRC.
Not as violent as big Buffs, but man, that has to be reviewed. And Oshie's headbutt? Garbage.

But this happened AGAINST the Jets, so nothing will come of it :cry:

That's my take on it too. If you look at Backes body as he applies the second cross-check, that looks every bit as dirty as the Buff check (he really applied force on the shot). But being the Jets, it will be 4 games for Buff, 0 for the other guys.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Does the interview Pavs had the day after the near center ice goal allowed against the Blues seem like ancient history? How Pavs was talking about his layoff and he took a lot of heat.

Did anyone think in a million years ago that he would be helping to carry the Jets to the playoffs?

I remember saying that he needed to shake it off because we would still need him this year. How things turned out was very unexpected. Good on Pavs, he deserves it.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I remember saying that he needed to shake it off because we would still need him this year. How things turned out was very unexpected. Good on Pavs, he deserves it.

I don't know if I'd necessarily say Pav "deserves" it...I'd tend to think it's more the team and the organization that deserves it. Pav has certainly been treated more than fairly by the organization over the years afaic and I view his recent performance more as "fair payback..." In other words, he's finally earning the starter status he's been anointed with for 4 seasons here...

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Where did I say that it wasn't an illegal hit?
I completely agree that oshie somewhat left his feet.
I'm just saying that to me it clearly looks like he hits with his shoulder and he did not headbutt Stuart.
And no I'm not oshies agent.

Oshie did a good job of making it look like a shoulder check but it's pretty obvious the first thing to make contact was his head to Stuart's face. That check gets thrown a lot in hockey and you rarely, if ever see a guys helmet smash into someones face, unless it was intentional.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
I don't know if I'd necessarily say Pav "deserves" it...I'd tend to think it's more the team and the organization that deserves it. Pav has certainly been treated more than fairly by the organization over the years afaic and I view his recent performance more as "fair payback..." In other words, he's finally earning the starter status he's been anointed with for 4 seasons here...

If he keeps this up for the rest of our SC run, I am willing to revise my view of his play as peaking at the right time.:naughty:

Pavs, play for your legacy here!

Go:jets Go

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It's not really fair game. More from rule 63: A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player, including the goalkeeper, who holds, freezes or plays the puck with his stick, skates or body in such a manner as to deliberately cause a
stoppage of play
. With regard to a goalkeeper, this rule applies outside of his goal crease area

I don't know how anyone can argue what he was doing wasn't deliberately trying to cause a stoppage of play.

and yes it has been called before. I remember a habs - leafs game in OT where bernier was called for covering the puck in the corner.

I can't believe it wasn't called considering how consistently and fairly the rules are always applied in the NHL, crazy. :sarcasm:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I can't believe it wasn't called considering how consistently and fairly the rules are always applied in the NHL, crazy. :sarcasm:

well, the definition of a body check has been bastardized over the year.
my understanding is that it was meant to separate the player from the puck when the puck was along the boards.
now, it's meant to punish a player for ever touching a puck.
if my understanding of the definition is true, then you should never be able to check a player after he passes the puck.

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
#HandshakesBoys

468871646_slide.jpg

HOLD ON. HOLD ON. WAITAMINNIT!

Our new post game tradition is to make hand-to-hand contact with A TEAMMATE WHO HAS THE FLU?!?!?!!

In what universe does anyone think this is a good idea?!?! :)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I really enjoyed watching the celebratory handshakes last night. You could very easily tell that the guys were super happy for Pav as they gave him shakes and hugs...these guys really do have a good team chemistry...actually it was a bit emotional for me. I am happy for the guy too. As much as the brain tells me he's not likely to keep playing at this high level for long, the heart is enjoying watching him play well.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
I haven't read through the game thread so I don't know if this got posted, but did anybody else notice the Scottrade Centre music selection was trolling the Jets?

One stoppage in play with some extra-curricular stuff got "Jet" by The Wings, and a bad PP sequence by the Jets earned the "Mad Men" theme song. There were a few others, but those two stood out for me.

Yes I also heard:
'Learning to Fly' by Tom Petty
and 'Highway to the Danger Zone' by Kenny Loggins (theme song for the movie 'Top Gun')

Thought that was a little weird too lol

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I love watching the handshake after a victory, you can just see the amount of respect those guys have for one another, the pride they have. I also really like that it's "our thing", nobody else does it. That's pretty cool. As a whole I love the direction the organization is going, can't complain. I also really like where the culture has gone since the relocation, from Paul Maurice, to the veterans, the youth, the newcomers, etc. Everyone seems to embrace what is going on here , they're all on the same page and if you're wearing the Jets logo on your chest there is only one way to do things.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Any one know the origin of the handshake?
I know Trouba and Scheif did it all year, but when/why did the team start?

White Out 403*

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/c-mon-ref-disallowing-stastny-s-goal-was-correct-call-1.251083

Given the fact that the chop was not particularly powerful or forceful, my personal preference would be to impose an interference penalty on the play. Rule 56.2 states that a minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who deliberately knocks a stick out of an opponent's hand. Myers raced back to gain inside position on Stastny and to take away the passing lane with his extensive reach capability. After gaining this prime position, Myers was looking to his left and focused on the centering pass. Stastny, in anticipation of being prevented from receiving the pass, then deliberately chopped on Myers' stick thereby knocking it from the defender's hands. This is certainly interference based on the deliberate action of Stastny and the end result of Myers' inability to defend without his stick in hand.
Whatever you want to term it, through a "fair" application of the playing rules, Paul Stastny's deliberate action and effective end result has to be regarded as a penalty. Tough call but a gutsy and correct one by referee Steve Kozari.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Any one know the origin of the handshake?
I know Trouba and Scheif did it all year, but when/why did the team start?

Think it was something started between Wheeler, Ladd, Little and it began on the bench after a win but has since grown to what it is now.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
It turns out this ritual began one night in Chicago, on the bench.

“It’s just our way to show each other we appreciate each other’s effort out there,†Blake Wheeler explained. “Look each other in the eye and give each other a firm handshake — it’s a gentlemanly thing to do.

“Laddy (Andrew Ladd), Litts (Bryan Little) and I started doing it. We just brought it out onto the ice and it just became one of those fun things that after a win you look forward to doing.â€

Actually, it began as a fun thing. Just joking around.

But it’s come to mean more. And it sets this group apart.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/03/...his-group-of-winnipeg-jets-players-has-become

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Hopefully over the next couple of months they will be including the other team in their celebratory handshakes as well.

Jet Speed19

Mar 12, 2015
Winnipeg
I know I'm late to the party(had to watch the game late last night then busy at work all morning).

Just wanted to say... UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Did not expect that. Not only did we take care of our own business, we got some help too.

So glad I was proven wrong with the goaltending decision. Can't believe Pavelec is taking us to the promise land.

We now have complete control of our destiny. Let's take it to Colorado and make Saturday meaningless. Calgary beating LA would be nice too!

Go Jets Go!!!!

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Has an NHL goalie gotten shutouts on consecutive nights before? I know Fleury did it in the playoffs last year, but anyone do it in the regular season?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Of course. There is really no story here. But there are two key factors making this into a story. Firstly, home town commentators stoking up a controversy about a 'horrible' call that was in fact the right call. Second, some players giving interviews right after a game who would have preferred to win a really hard fought NHL playoff caliber game at an emotional time right after the loss before they have even seen a replay of the infraction.

There is a third group that on HFBoards - Blues Homers - who naturally are pissed that they lost and are looking for a reason other than that they lost to a better team on this particular night. Most of these same folks also believe that the tap that Backes gave Stu near the end of the game was just normal stuff that happens, and that Stu should have gotten a penalty for - I don't know what they would call it - maybe 'being knocked down near the vicinity of the puck while near the net and not moving yourself out of the way quickly since it is somewhere under you so that St Louis can score easily'

Even Hitch called it a penalty.

There is no story here. Except somehow there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad