Post-Game Talk: Ondrej "The Boss" Pavelec does it again: 1-0 Jets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roofgoat

Feb 5, 2015
Rural Missouri
Game 80

Chris Thorburn scored the game winning goal against the St. Louis Blues. The first defensive pairing of Ben Chiarot and Tyler Myers helped goalie Ondrej Pavelec to get back to back shutouts. Pavelec's SV% is now better than Quick's and Bobrovsky's.

I want a time machine to post this in September 2014.

Does the interview Pavs had the day after the near center ice goal allowed against the Blues seem like ancient history? How Pavs was talking about his layoff and he took a lot of heat.

Did anyone think in a million years ago that he would be helping to carry the Jets to the playoffs?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Chiarot is already our 2nd best LHD behind Toby. There's no way he goes anywhere.

Also, I don't expect the NHL to take a look at any of the hits, because 'incidental contact', 'no injury on play', and '**** the Jets'.

Chiarot is a guy who is a depth AHL player.

:sarcasm:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It's not like suspensions will mean anything if they're a game or two at this point. That'd just be a nice rest before the playoffs.

If Oshie wants to headbutt people though, he's going to earn himself some bad karma around the league and given he has a melon that is one shot away from Pronger status...

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
How do you figure? Rule 63 - delaying the game.

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player other than the
goalkeeper who deliberately falls on or gathers the puck into his body.

Yup, and it happens enough. Has always bothered me given it's a clear action of delay of game.

But right now, i'm not complaining. :D :laugh:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
How do you figure? Rule 63 - delaying the game.

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player other than the
goalkeeper who deliberately falls on or gathers the puck into his body.

Has that ever been called?

Its the same situation as the Puck over glass rule used to be. Unless its Extremely blatant, no Ref in the NHL is going to call it. The Wording "Deliberate" saves them.

warriorathlete21

Apr 7, 2015
1j42NJm.gif

Does or does he not leave his feet to hit Stuart?
little peanut Oshie wouldn't jump up slightly to hit Stuart in the chest or get positioning on him.
Oshie's on a 45 degree angle when he hits Stuart. I play hockey. I've never bumped into or checked a guy when I've been at a 45 degree angle. you do, though, launch projectiles at a 45 degree angle...
also, Stuart manhandled (semi-legally, mind you) Oshie twice 10 seconds earlier. so yeah. you doth protest too much, Oshie's Agent. :)

Where did I say that it wasn't an illegal hit?
I completely agree that oshie somewhat left his feet.
I'm just saying that to me it clearly looks like he hits with his shoulder and he did not headbutt Stuart.
And no I'm not oshies agent.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Yep. He didn't cover it up with his hand, it's fair game. He was kinda just squatting on it haha.

I think he did try and play it with his hand and then thought better of it.

That scared the crap out of me when it looked like he was going to cover it with his hand. :laugh:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

This needs to be reviewed for suspension. Very similar to what Buff got 4 games for. Backes is upright and brings the full force of his upper body down as well as extending the arms. It looks like the initial blow is to the upper shoulders very close to the base of the neck, where it glances down with the vast majority of the force being absorbed by the neck.

Does something like this get automatically reviewed, or do the Jets need to send video in and launch some kind of process / review request?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Yep. He didn't cover it up with his hand, it's fair game. He was kinda just squatting on it haha.

I think he did try and play it with his hand and then thought better of it.

It's not really fair game. More from rule 63: A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player, including the goalkeeper, who holds, freezes or plays the puck with his stick, skates or body in such a manner as to deliberately cause a
stoppage of play
. With regard to a goalkeeper, this rule applies outside of his goal crease area

I don't know how anyone can argue what he was doing wasn't deliberately trying to cause a stoppage of play.

and yes it has been called before. I remember a habs - leafs game in OT where bernier was called for covering the puck in the corner.

Sammy225

Aug 9, 2011
IMO there should have been 2 penalties on that play: 1. Delay of game 2. Cross Checking because that is just straight dangerous what Backes did.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Elliotte Friedman tweeted this morning that he didn't think the league would think it bad enough to warrant suspension. We are not the Rangers after all :sarcasm:

This needs to be reviewed for suspension. Very similar to what Buff got 4 games for. Backes is upright and brings the full force of his upper body down as well as extending the arms. It looks like the initial blow is to the upper shoulders very close to the base of the neck, where it glances down with the vast majority of the force being absorbed by the neck.

Does something like this get automatically reviewed, or do the Jets need to send video in and launch some kind of process / review request?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
It's not really fair game. More from rule 63: A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player, including the goalkeeper, who holds, freezes or plays the puck with his stick, skates or body in such a manner as to deliberately cause a
stoppage of play
. With regard to a goalkeeper, this rule applies outside of his goal crease area

I don't know how anyone can argue what he was doing wasn't deliberately trying to cause a stoppage of play.

and yes it has been called before. I remember a habs - leafs game in OT where bernier was called for covering the puck in the corner.

He wasn't holding, freezing or playing the puck.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Where did I say that it wasn't an illegal hit?
I completely agree that oshie somewhat left his feet.
I'm just saying that to me it clearly looks like he hits with his shoulder and he did not headbutt Stuart.
And no I'm not oshies agent.

This happens to you. You are playing hockey. You don't have the puck. You are approaching another player who also does not have the puck. The next thing you know, the helmet of that player makes contact with your face drawing blood (regardless of weather a shoulder hits your chest at the same time or not).

You would not call this a head butt? Would you call it, a helmet butt? I know for sure you wouldn't call it a 'shoulder to chest reverse check'. You would be too busy fixing your chiclets or straightening your broken nose or holding together your split lip or whatever. All things that are or were part of part of your head, not your chest.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
He was not initially until he put his entire body over the puck then proceeded in getting his neck cross checked.

yeah, but the argument can easily be made that he didn't put his body over the puck. He tried initially to swat the puck to the boards with his hand. He missed the attempt and the puck ends up back under him. He's already down on all fours and there's players all around him trying to get at the puck. He had nowhere to go...

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He was not initially until he put his entire body over the puck then proceeded in getting his neck cross checked.

That didn't happen until Backes pushed him down. Originally, he was shielding the puck with his legs after blocking a shot. Getting pushed down on the ice and deciding not to get up has never, AFAIK, been called.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I think I may have found the missing piece for what determines suspensions in the NHL.

Media Outcry. I used to think they were not affected by it, but now I`m not so sure.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
I think I may have found the missing piece for what determines suspensions in the NHL.

Media Outcry. I used to think they were not affected by it, but now I`m not so sure.

Yeah not enough media stink for this one I guess. "gritty hard match" "boys will be boys".

...and Rangers will be princesses who need the utmost protecting!

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
stoppage of play

Goalies are a whole different thing, and that was really blatant.

Have you ever seen a player called in a scrum for freezing the puck?

Refs won't call it, because the wording is ambiguous, again just like the puck over glass rule used to be.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
There were missed calls both ways.
The slash on statsny could've gone either way. I wasn't really upset over that call.
If you guys want to talk about non calls, that's fine.
Backes was bashed in the mouth right in front of the ref in the 3rd period and nothing was called. He was pouring blood from the mouth.
Schwartz was tripped twice in the Jets zone in the last 2 minutes of the game.
Stuart covered the puck right by the jets net which should've been a penalty as well.
Also, if you go back and watch the oshie hit on Stuart, it shouldn't have been high sticking.
Oshie's intent was clear. He was trying to perform a shoulder to chest reverse check. Yes he did make contact with Stuart's head and it was a penalty but if you think he was intentionally trying to headbutt then you need to go back and watch the clip again and the follow through with his arms.

All debates aside, I thought it was an exciting game and I hope we get to play again in the playoffs.

I, for one, agree with you, which won't endear me to anyone around here.:laugh: Now there are 2 of us they will hate around here...more, if you include Backes, Oshie......
The Jets 2.0 are an early version of today's Blues, so we should perhaps have a little more understanding of how they play and how they hate losing.
Of all the hits against the Jets, the most dangerous by far was Reaves' to Perreault's head. That missed being a serious concussion by a cm or 2 and was not even called.
Oshie' s hit against Stuart was a penalty, but the headbutt was secondary and Stuart embellished it a bit. They were at each other's throats all night and Stuart played that very cleverly, got 4 min out of it.
Backes is a total dirtbag who I'd love to have on my team. His hits on Stuart late in the game were penalty-worthy, but not nearly as dangerous as Reaves'. I would have sent them both off at that point.

Last point: It's easy to be charitable after a win, but you always take some risk coming to the opponent's home after a game. As a Jet, I'd stay away from the Blues' site right now...they are not happy. Think of Backes' face after the game and imagine a whole forum of 'em.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad