Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
In Hungarian the word Palat means: "Beast". Interestingly enough the word Palahan means: "Beast Mode".

That is awesome and very fitting since you can always expect some serious Beast Mode when they are out on the ice, haha, it was like it was meant to be.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
In a thread on the main boards "Max Pacioretty 5 on 5 Beast" it was mentioned that he was snubbed from the ASG because he's such a beast.

I compared him to Nikita Kucherov(smaller sample size of course as he hasn't been in the league as long). By every measurable, Kucherov not being named to the ASG is a bigger snub. Got told by the habs fans that no one would take Kucherov over MaxPac at this point. I disagree. I was specifically told that Yzerman would "drive Kucherov to the Airport himself."

So, how many of you would take Pacioretty over Kucherov at this point?

Original Post:

Max Pacioretty 5v5 this season:

G/60 = 1.5
P/60 = 2.5
CF% = 51.37%
PDO = 106
ZSO%Rel = 17.1% Offensive Zone Start relative to team.
24 Points averaging 14min TOI/Gm

Pretty stout numbers, but lets compare him to another winger who didn't get to go to the ASG.

Nikita Kucherov 5v5 this season:

G/60 = 1.6
P/60 = 3.4
CF% = 58.5%
PDO = 103.6
ZSO%Rel = 7% Offensive Zone Start relative to team
29 Points averaging 12min TOI/Gm

Nikita doesn't kill penalties and hasn't had PP1 time until very recently(last 2 games).

Favorable zone starts go to MaxPac at 5on5 vs. all of the players on the TKO line as Cooper essentially rolls all the lines. If you compare All Star Tyler Johnson's 5v5 numbers to Max's, Max comes up quite a bit short.

Don't forget about Drej

G/60 = 0.49
P/60 = 2.8
CF% = 57.9%
PDO = 102.7
ZSO%Rel = 3.5 % Offensive Zone Start relative to team.
24 Points averaging 13min TOI/Gm

Shall we compare the defensive side of Patches & Palat's game now ? :laugh:

If Pacioretty is a "5v5 beast" Palat is the biggest ASG snub ever.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Don't forget about Drej

G/60 = 0.49
P/60 = 2.8
CF% = 57.9%
PDO = 102.7
ZSO%Rel = 3.5 % Offensive Zone Start relative to team.
24 Points averaging 13min TOI/Gm

Shall we compare the defensive side of Patches & Palat's game now ? :laugh:

If Pacioretty is a "5v5 beast" Palat is the biggest ASG snub ever.

I never forget about Drej. I didn't want to draw the comparison because of goals. He's not the goal scorer TJ or Kucherov are, but they aren't the goal scorers the are without Drej.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He is heating up.. it has definitely been a noticeable difference as well. Palat looked injured early in the season. He wasn't himself.

Yeah. He's also with a pair of linemates who are perfectly suited to take advantage of Palat's strengths. Palat makes great break out passes from our end and he's a cycling monster in the offensive zone. He does so many things right that have everything to do with hockey IQ and little to do with skill... and then he has considerable skill too.

What's really interesting to me though is that his scoring trends have been almost identical to last year's. He was starting to get red hot right around this time.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=748684&cmpid=nhl-fb

One of NHL.com's selke finalists.

Ondrej Palat, Tampa Bay Lightning -- Palat is not the center on Tampa Bay's incredibly successful "Triplets Line" but he's been the best defensive player on it and has quickly earned a reputation as one of the top two-way wings in the League despite his relatively brief career. Palat, Tyler Johnson and Nikita Kucherov have all been on the ice for an average of more than 36 scoring chances per 60 minutes, which puts them one, two and three in the NHL in that category among this group of 145 forwards.

He's been on the ice for the fewest scoring chances against among those three, and he's been Tampa Bay's best penalty-killing forward. Like Marian Hossa and Zach Parise before him, it won't be easy for Palat to ever win this award, but he deserves to be in the conversation.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Palat has been fine, it is bad luck. If he keeps playing with an effort like he has, the goals/points will come.

He is still on pace for around 60 points, even if he hits only 50 points this season that is still excellent production.

Not worried about Palat.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I thought Palat was yesterday, again, a defensive beast.
He was hitting, backchecking like a mad man... the whole line has had a lot of bad luck because they could have easily scored 3 goals yesterday.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Palat's line barely reached the 15 minutes mark last night, something is wrong healthy-wise and I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson wasn't the only one playing through injuries. That's true he made several astonishing defensive stops yesterday but Palat's been inconsistent in his effort or decision making lately and that's very unusual for him... Cooper is trying to preserve that line IMO.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Palat's line barely reached the 15 minutes mark last night, something is wrong healthy-wise and I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson wasn't the only one playing through injuries. That's true he made several astonishing defensive stops yesterday but Palat's been inconsistent in his effort or decision making lately and that's very unusual for him... Cooper is trying to preserve that line IMO.

We had two other lines playing strong hockey last night though. I think Coop really likes what the third line's bringing right now and he's rewarding them with ice time. The top line was pressing too and getting a lot of the D-zone faceoffs. I don't think TKO's time was reduced last night because their play was off. They created a lot of chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad