Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

Houdas

Mining the Lightning
Aug 17, 2014
Prague/Ostrava
A lot of czechs are rooting for Palat now. Especially in my hometown where Palat started in juniors. Feels pretty good that last year some of the guys heard for the first time about palat's skills from me and now they are staying up late to watch Palat and are hoping that he will not forget about his hometown if tampa wins the stanley cup. I live like 20 kilometers away from his hometown.

Not that it should mean something to you all, just wanted to say it feels pretty good :D

Houdas

Mining the Lightning
Aug 17, 2014
Prague/Ostrava
So I did some numbers. Took data from RTSS from 2010/2011 to 2014/2015 seasons and analysed them. Used model published by Brian Macdonald that is used to measure individual effort and skill during ES situations and now I have results. Before I publish this and get critics I thought you might want to see these results, guys.

fpFtlur.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fpFtlur.jpg
Yeah, Palát is a beast.

I need to make a lot of other adjustments, but this is the first version that gave me a basic look at players as individuals.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Palat is a beast and he does not need points to show how good of a player he is.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Now a days everybody wants to talk
Like they got something to say
But nothing comes out when they move their lips
Just a bunch of jiberish
Motherf****** be acting like they forgot about Drej

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Palat is a beast

Noticed he leads the league in takeaways (TkA) with 22.:handclap: For reference, he had 32 TkA for all of last season.
Good to see he is getting his offensive side going now too. Obviously, we need to resign this guy.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Weird time to make this thread considering he's been bad to start this season and is at a team worst -5. Yes he picks up later in the season just weird timing on the thread.

Also only shows up for the last half of the season and then loses that productivity in the playoffs, always thought he was overrated by the fanbase (best forward on the team lool), hope Yzerman doesn't overpay him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His playoff production isn't bad. It's just not as beastly as his 2nd halves have been.

We'll see what happens. I wouldn't count out 55+ points on top of outstanding defensive play. I still think we're going to see the Triplets put together.

Houdas

Mining the Lightning
Aug 17, 2014
Prague/Ostrava
His CF% 5on5 (even close 5on5) is mediocre (relative to other teammates). That's really bad for Palat's standards. Note that the CPDO is 98. Usually CPDO (or PDO) is considered to be a measure of luck. Values above 100 are considered to be show that player is rather lucky, below 100 to be unlucky.
I believe his +/- is just a product of really bad luck. I'd bet he'll be 0 or + after 10 more games. The trend is here.

I've seen just a few games this season, but it certainly didn't look like he should have so negative +/-.

I'm sure hoping for re-emergence of TKO, too

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
When it comes to Palat I worry less about him than the rest of the TKO. Johnson is a little injury prone and Kucherov is streaky. With Palat he runs like a horse and you can always count on a good defensive game. Even if he doesn't score, we will get good games out of him. The kid won't stay down for long.

I worry more about mad dog Callahan, Filppula and Killorn

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
When it comes to Palat I worry less about him than the rest of the TKO. Johnson is a little injury prone and Kucherov is streaky. With Palat he runs like a horse and you can always count on a good defensive game. Even if he doesn't score, we will get good games out of him. The kid won't stay down for long.

Palat has been injured more than Johnson the past 3 years... Palat has missed 28 games to injury compared to Johnson's 18.. He's the definition of streaky, long cold streaks followed by hot streaks.....

Johnson is pretty consistent when he gets going and always produces in the playoffs, Kucherov has gone to another level, signing Palat is actually the most risky if you always have to wonder if he's going to pull a 2nd half hot streak.

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016

Put him out to pasture? Pasture being LTIR in this case. We got anybody that can pull a Tonya Harding? :naughty:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Palat has been injured more than Johnson the past 3 years... Palat has missed 28 games to injury compared to Johnson's 18.. He's the definition of streaky, long cold streaks followed by hot streaks.....

Johnson is pretty consistent when he gets going and always produces in the playoffs, Kucherov has gone to another level, signing Palat is actually the most risky if you always have to wonder if he's going to pull a 2nd half hot streak.

Outside of last year when has Palat been hurt? Johnson has missed less games but it seems like he has played with some sort of lingering effects of some kind of injury since he hurt his hand.

But to the point of being streaky I would rather my winger who can play defense at a consistently great level go a month without a goal than someone like Johnson. He's not a bad player when he is not scoring but we usually watch the clock to see if Johnson is gonna bust out of his scoring slumps because he doesn't provide a whole lot else.

This is why I haven't nailed Callahan to the cross yet. But fairly enough if you score 2 goals in a 41 game span and make THAT much money there's a problem. At this rate I'll be calling for his head by Christmas if he doesn't start chipping in by more than an accident. I'll give him the benefit of injury recovery til then.

FYI mad dog Callahan means when he isn't scoring a damn thing and is literally being paid to block shots and kill penalties and goes about his offense by speeding in like a train and nothing else comes out of him in the whole possession but a hit and a screen in front on a goal that doesn't come.

Don't get me wrong I love the guy but it's like the dog that acts like it's gonna kill you to defend it's yard but doesn't do ****. It slinks into its doghouse and watches no different than when Callahan goes back on the bench

At least Palat has dynamite chemistry with Johnson and Kucherov and was/is part of one of the best lines in Lightning history. That gives him all the leeway in the world to me

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Outside of last year when has Palat been hurt? Johnson has missed less games but it seems like he has played with some sort of lingering effects of some kind of injury since he hurt his hand.

But to the point of being streaky I would rather my winger who can play defense at a consistently great level go a month without a goal than someone like Johnson. He's not a bad player when he is not scoring but we usually watch the clock to see if Johnson is gonna bust out of his scoring slumps because he doesn't provide a whole lot else.

At least Palat has dynamite chemistry with Johnson and Kucherov and was/is part of one of the best lines in Lightning history. That gives him all the leeway in the world to me

Outside of last year, when has Johnson been hurt? He's played more games than Palat every season they've been in the league together...

What? Johnson is a well known two way forward and plays more SH minutes than Palat does, significantly more this season actually. And to go along with this season, Johnson has been noticeably better when he's not scoring after those horrid first couple games from him, Palat on the other hand has not been playing up to standard, defensively or offensively.

Johnson broken hand - 7 goals -17 points in 17 playoff games.
Palat healthy - 4 goals - 10 points in 17 playoff games.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Outside of last year, when has Johnson been hurt? He's played more games than Palat every season they've been in the league together...

What? Johnson is a well known two way forward and plays more SH minutes than Palat does, significantly more this season actually. And to go along with this season, Johnson has been noticeably better when he's not scoring after those horrid first couple games from him, Palat on the other hand has not been playing up to standard, defensively or offensively.

Johnson broken hand - 7 goals -17 points in 17 playoff games.
Palat healthy - 4 goals - 10 points in 17 playoff games.

I'm just saying Johnson deals with injuries more frequently than Palat does. This is Johnsons list of missed games

Dec 28, 2015 Missed 7 games (undisclosed).
Dec 14, 2015 Undisclosed, injured reserve.
Dec 12, 2015 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
Dec 06, 2015 Missed 3 games (undisclosed).
Nov 28, 2015 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
Nov 25, 2015 Missed 3 games (upper body injury).
Nov 16, 2015 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
Apr 04, 2015 Missed 3 games (upper body injury).
Mar 30, 2015 Upper body injury, day-to-day.
Jan 15, 2015 Missed 1 game (lower body injury).
Jan 13, 2015 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
Dec 20, 2014 Missed 1 game (illness).
Dec 19, 2014 Illness, day-to-day.

This isn't even counting the times we see him go to the locker room, come back and doesn't miss a game. To your point, Johnson plays in as many situations as Palat does. He takes a beating. Hell the guy didn't even miss any playoff games with that wrist injury. Just because he doesn't miss a lot of games doesn't mean he's not dealing with something

This is Palat

Jan 02, 2016 Missed 8 games (lower body injury).
Dec 20, 2015 Lower body injury, injured reserve.
Dec 14, 2015 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
Dec 10, 2015 Missed 12 games (lower body injury).
Nov 16, 2015 Lower body injury, injured reserve.
Nov 10, 2015 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
Mar 20, 2015 Missed 3 games (lower body injury).
Mar 12, 2015 Lower body injury, sidelined indefinitely.
Dec 19, 2014 Missed 4 games (lower body injury).
Dec 11, 2014 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
Jun 09, 2014 Re-signed by the Tampa Bay Lightning to a three-year contract.

And the proof shows that Palat has missed more games (like you said) but most of it is confined to a 3 month period where the guy did everything but break his ankle falling out of bed. Most of Johnson's injuries are in a short period of time too but it's still more spread out especially if you want to count that Johnson himself even said that the wrist wasn't 100% for most of last year. Count the wrist injury and not missing any time and it opens to the box to wonder how often he's playing through something that is nagging him.

And yeah, Johnson is miles ahead of Palat right now as this is EASILY the worst start of Palat's career. But from a historical standpoint he is one of the better defensive forwards in the game. And we even saw how important he is to the team last year. When we lost Palat the wheels came off the wagon for a short time. We managed to win some few games but it made an already bad end of 2015 far, FAR worse. But with all he brings to the game and knowing what he can do... I never... EVER worry about him.

Now you've probably disagreed with every single word I've said but I have a point that we probably will agree on: it's very likely once he figures out his end of the ice, he's going to stumble onto a few goals and assists seemingly by accident and he will start playing with a swagger and the points will come in bunches. Combine that with him historically being reliable defensively, I've got every reason to be optimistic about Palat and have little worry.

With Stamkos out and a Kucherov slump that could happen at any time, I worry about the more talented scorer in Johnson sustaining us through such events.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Johnson has played through a lot of injuries where he probably shouldn't have. If he'd taken a month off last year with the broken wrist, we probably wouldn't have had to wait until April for him to show up.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
I'm just saying Johnson deals with injuries more frequently than Palat does. This is Johnsons list of missed games

Dec 28, 2015 Missed 7 games (undisclosed).
Dec 14, 2015 Undisclosed, injured reserve.
Dec 12, 2015 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
Dec 06, 2015 Missed 3 games (undisclosed).
Nov 28, 2015 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
Nov 25, 2015 Missed 3 games (upper body injury).
Nov 16, 2015 Undisclosed, day-to-day.
Apr 04, 2015 Missed 3 games (upper body injury).
Mar 30, 2015 Upper body injury, day-to-day.
Jan 15, 2015 Missed 1 game (lower body injury).
Jan 13, 2015 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
Dec 20, 2014 Missed 1 game (illness).
Dec 19, 2014 Illness, day-to-day.

This isn't even counting the times we see him go to the locker room, come back and doesn't miss a game. To your point, Johnson plays in as many situations as Palat does. He takes a beating. Hell the guy didn't even miss any playoff games with that wrist injury. Just because he doesn't miss a lot of games doesn't mean he's not dealing with something

This is Palat

Jan 02, 2016 Missed 8 games (lower body injury).
Dec 20, 2015 Lower body injury, injured reserve.
Dec 14, 2015 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
Dec 10, 2015 Missed 12 games (lower body injury).
Nov 16, 2015 Lower body injury, injured reserve.
Nov 10, 2015 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
Mar 20, 2015 Missed 3 games (lower body injury).
Mar 12, 2015 Lower body injury, sidelined indefinitely.
Dec 19, 2014 Missed 4 games (lower body injury).
Dec 11, 2014 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
Jun 09, 2014 Re-signed by the Tampa Bay Lightning to a three-year contract.

And the proof shows that Palat has missed more games (like you said) but most of it is confined to a 3 month period where the guy did everything but break his ankle falling out of bed. Most of Johnson's injuries are in a short period of time too but it's still more spread out especially if you want to count that Johnson himself even said that the wrist wasn't 100% for most of last year. Count the wrist injury and not missing any time and it opens to the box to wonder how often he's playing through something that is nagging him.

And yeah, Johnson is miles ahead of Palat right now as this is EASILY the worst start of Palat's career. But from a historical standpoint he is one of the better defensive forwards in the game. And we even saw how important he is to the team last year. When we lost Palat the wheels came off the wagon for a short time. We managed to win some few games but it made an already bad end of 2015 far, FAR worse. But with all he brings to the game and knowing what he can do... I never... EVER worry about him.

Now you've probably disagreed with every single word I've said but I have a point that we probably will agree on: it's very likely once he figures out his end of the ice, he's going to stumble onto a few goals and assists seemingly by accident and he will start playing with a swagger and the points will come in bunches. Combine that with him historically being reliable defensively, I've got every reason to be optimistic about Palat and have little worry.

With Stamkos out and a Kucherov slump that could happen at any time, I worry about the more talented scorer in Johnson sustaining us through such events.

Yeah, it is natural to worry about scoring when you lose a guy like Stammer. Johnson really is just off to a slightly better start than Palat. We need both of these guys to step it up offensively. I am confident they will.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
+/- +10 over his past 16 games. 23 points over his past 32 games.

That's the Drej we all love.

Yeah he's turned it around. Admittedly some of the last 32 games stats don't impress me - he was kind of a passenger for a lot of that - but I would say the last 5 games he has been legitimately good.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, stats aside, Palat seemed to turn the "real" corner about 10-14 days ago. I can't remember which game it was, but he was a monster on both sides of the ice, and he's been good since.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Yeah, stats aside, Palat seemed to turn the "real" corner about 10-14 days ago. I can't remember which game it was, but he was a monster on both sides of the ice, and he's been good since.
Buffalo (for me). We've definitely been seeing core, untradeable Palat since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad