Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I want to buy a Palat jersey to go along with my Stammer.

Anyone got a Palat jersey on here?

I try to avoid buying Jerseys of young or relatively new players incase they leave, get demoted, change their number etc.. not to mention a guy like Palat could be wearing an "A" in the near future.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I try to avoid buying Jerseys of young or relatively new players incase they leave, get demoted, change their number etc.. not to mention a guy like Palat could be wearing an "A" in the near future.

Yeah, your probably right.

Panik it is!

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Can we have 5 more Palats, please? I would love to see a line of Palat-Palat-Palat

Palat-Palat-Palat
Palat-Palat-Palat
Palat-Palat-Palat
Palat-Palat-Palat

Palat-Palat
Palat-Palat
Palat

Palat
Palat

I can see it working.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've been laying off this comparison for a while, because it's lofty, but after tonight I feel comfortable making it. Not saying he has the hands, but when Ondrej Palat is on the back check, slickly stealing pucks, and making smart, heady plays in the offensive zone?

Pavel Datsyuk.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I've been laying off this comparison for a while, because it's lofty, but after tonight I feel comfortable making it. Not saying he has the hands, but when Ondrej Palat is on the back check, slickly stealing pucks, and making smart, heady plays in the offensive zone?

Pavel Datsyuk.

Oooh no man, just no.

Or at least not yet.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Oooh no man, just no.

Or at least not yet.

I watched a LOT of Datsyuk over the years. He entered the league as a 23 year-old and scored about 35 points (in something like 60 games) while playing on a line with Brett Hull and Boyd Devereaux. His hands were a secret for at least a few years to everyone who didn't watch. But the calm way he made smart plays that year looked a lot like what we're seeing from Drej now.

I doubt Drej will every develop that kind of puck-handling ability. That's not what I'm saying. But there are so many things he does that are reminiscent of Datsyuk, particularly in the D-zone. It's almost like the opposing players don't realize he's right behind them.

Hands aside, if you watch Datsyuk's early games, the similarities are very much there.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I watched a LOT of Datsyuk over the years. He entered the league as a 23 year-old and scored about 35 points (in something like 60 games) while playing on a line with Brett Hull and Boyd Devereaux. His hands were a secret for at least a few years to everyone who didn't watch. But the calm way he made smart plays that year looked a lot like what we're seeing from Drej now.

I doubt Drej will every develop that kind of puck-handling ability. That's not what I'm saying. But there are so many things he does that are reminiscent of Datsyuk, particularly in the D-zone. It's almost like the opposing players don't realize he's right behind them.

Hands aside, if you watch Datsyuk's early games, the similarities are very much there.

NOOOOOOOO

I am datsyuks biggest fan I dont see any similarities honestly. None. I see TJ Oshie.

What is crazy to me is his listed weight and it just cant be right lol. He plays sooooo much bigger is just insane.

If you look at exact stats I will pull them later and promise to remember see how he stacks to stevie datsyuk toews etc.

If you look at exact stats his palats are identical to oshie's so far as a rookie in hits blocks etc. has better plus minus I believe the toi all of it is right on. Interesting thing to me is guys this size so often win the selke tough little buggers lol.

I get palat has some very good vision. He doesnt have an elite shot though or the magician moves or shot of datsyuk. He does see the ice very well keeps his head up but still see flipper having better vision?

I love palat though not sure what he will become.

I have said this he is a keeper is more his relentless style he just out works the other players.

Why when people were like we can trade him for D I was like you do not trade people like palat those are the guys who get you the rings.

I will also add this here cause am sick of some of this board UNDERVALUING KUCHEROV. YOU CAN ALL GO LOOK FLAT OUT LOOK WHEN I STARTED PREACHING ON PALAT before he started to surpass johnson and become even more valuable. Some of you were talking trade palat for D. I was hating this board at that time I mean that. I was stating you dont trade players like that relentless guys those are the keepers. You have to watch day in day out to truly appreciate what they truly bring. Over time sometimes years (kris draper!!) you truly appreciate what that guy brings to an organization. The two guys I do not trade at this time rookie group are kucherov and palat. The rest some I like we will see how pan out. Actually I LOVE TYJO cause hes a fighter lol. Hes a little small but will take on chara lmao. So yes I LOVE that kid. The rest? Still have a long ways to prove they have the tenacity and intensity to make the difference from being a washington who bowes out in the playoffs to being the team that goes to game seven two times in a row OUR HISTORY and wins the cup:)

You can accept this at this time or not. He will wind up better than Palat in ALL OF IT. Scoring vision IQ setting up others defensively ALL OF IT.

See I have seen palat before yet also saw kucherov meaning Wings. I think they both hit their ceilings just one goes a little higher in all ways. Palat is a mixture of draper and steve yzerman and kucherov is federov.

Palat is not going to become Yzerman. Yet he will be dammed good. There is indication at least to me Kucherov does become federov.

So stop trying to trade this guys or even considering it till they prove what they truly are look at it in a few years please:) I will keep some of my hair during that process lol.

Draper was a relentless player had good vision could not score at the high clip palat can why see some stevie in the kid. He can do it all well. Not going to pot 40 goals but will be close to 30 and maybe 70 points. Will be solid and relentless. Kucherov might be all of that and pot 40 goals people. And am telling you his d game will translate by 2015-2016 or will apologize to all of you meaning he will be better than palat by that time or as good and will be the argument of whom is better ??

Lehtinen or carbonneau? Who was better? Both had three selkes playing for same team same time lol

That is what we have you dont trade those guys I am telling you.

They just go to the boards and come out with the pucks lol against bigger guys or whatever and they create scoring opportunity after scoring opportunity is fun hockey to watch:)

Last edited:

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
With all due respect, if Nikita Kucherov becomes a 40+ goal scorer I will completely :censored: bricks over that. That would be remarkable. I also don't expect him to reach that level of excellence. You're a Wings fan, I think you know just how excellent a player Sergei Fedorov was.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Palat definitely does have a ton of Datsyuk in him. I've yet to see Palat deek a goaltender 8 feet out of his crease though

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
He is nothing like Datsyuk, doesn't have the hands or shiftiness that he does, which isn't a bad thing. Pavel is a very unique hockey player.

Palat is like... I don't like the Oshie comparison, either. Nowhere near as physical. Palat is just Palat - hes as good offensively as he is defensively. Just very, very well rounded.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I think Palat is a Calahan minus the fighting.

Who am I talking about here: A heart and soul type gritty player that makes his line-mates a lot better and a bulldog getting that puck back. Plays larger than their size and physical in all 3 zones. Stick his nose in the dirty areas, can score, can be playmaker...and play both on the PP & PK. Has a high hockey IQ - responsible 2-way game. Not elite speed nor quickness but excellent in both areas. Keeps his head up in the offensive zone and their stick down. 50 to 60 point scoring potential.

Is this Palat or Calahan - Palahan folks!

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I think the best I can think of is Hossa.

Most people were saying that about Panik at the beggining of the season. Hossa has a much larger frame and slower in both lateral and straight line speed. Hossa is stronger on the puck and has a better shot than Palat in my opinion.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Palat's grit is a slick sort of grit though. Where he reminds me of Datsyuk is mostly with his play without the puck. But also with his decision making with the puck, like choosing to hang onto it where other players would dish, or hanging on for a second longer than expected. But the big thing is when he strips the puck from an opponent after chasing him down. Every time it makes me think, "That's how Datsyuk does it." He doesn't handle the puck the way Datsyuk does, and he's more physical, but particularly in the way he dogs opposing players with the puck, he reminds me of Pavel. Moreso young Pavel, pre-superstar Pavel, who wasn't yet the dynamo he became.

NHLeitner

Jan 2, 2013
Carolina

Pavel Datsyuk.

I think Chief made that comparison too at some point last night. Palat is good at the hockeys, but if you compare him to Datsyuk, this is the kind of company you're keeping.

I really wish he had been a higher draft pick because I know the prospect scouting publications release a list of the top 50 or 100 prospects and list a "style of play compares to..." type thing. Doubt they do it for the 207th overall pick though.

(Confession: I see a little Datsyuk defense in Palat too)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think Chief made that comparison too at some point last night. Palat is good at the hockeys, but if you compare him to Datsyuk, this is the kind of company you're keeping.

I really wish he had been a higher draft pick because I know the prospect scouting publications release a list of the top 50 or 100 prospects and list a "style of play compares to..." type thing. Doubt they do it for the 207th overall pick though.

(Confession: I see a little Datsyuk defense in Palat too)

Yeah, but the thing most people don't realize is the Pavel Datsyuk of today wasn't always what we saw. He showed flashes of his hands and creativity in his early years, but he was probably even more unheralded than Palat in his first couple of seasons in Detroit. And that's the version of Datsyuk I'm talking about, not the one who's brilliant on a nightly basis. Palat's probably never going to develop Pavel's offense, but, for what it's worth, he's probably a bigger offensive threat than Pavel was in his early years.

Add: Palat has 33 points in 31 games since the beginning of the year.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Datsyuk was drafted in the later rounds as well. Datsyuk became Datsyuk by working so hard. He always had hands and creativity, but he really took it to a whole new level when he turned 26. Palat may never be a Datsyuk, but he is doing more a younger age. I like both players and it is not really fair to compare, besides being a late draft pick and puckhounds.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I don't see any really good comparables with Palat.
Toews is the closest I can think of, a winger (and not as good at the moment) version.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad