Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This very well could be his last game/2 games with us. After all these years Palat doesn't owe us any favors. If you want more money than we can give God knows I respect that.

Thank you for everything Ondrej. And thanks for proving me wrong that rumors of your demise were greatly exaggerated

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
This very well could be his last game/2 games with us. After all these years Palat doesn't owe us any favors. If you want more money than we can give God knows I respect that.

Thank you for everything Ondrej. And thanks for proving me wrong that rumors of your demise were greatly exaggerated
But at some point, he’s earned a lifetime’s worth of money. Does he really think he has a better chance to win elsewhere?

No fan would be disappointed if he stayed. But he’s probably going to get 2x what we can offer unfortunately.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I doubt Palat leaves. I seriously do. There is no replacement for him at the moment and without him, his dirty work renders Kucherov less efficient. The guy would have been "McDonagh category" for darkhorse CS winner if we won the cup. Moving Killorn is probably the first thing that Brisebois will do. I don't think he is as sentimental as we are with regards to players, even if they are tenured. This guy asked Stamkos what, a year or two ago? There's a reason our top line has been a mainstay with two key components in four stanley cup runs, and a large part has to do with Palat. Move Killorn and get whatever you possibly can for him and allow Hagel to replace him. Resign Palat.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I doubt Palat leaves. I seriously do. There is no replacement for him at the moment and without him, his dirty work renders Kucherov less efficient. The guy would have been "McDonagh category" for darkhorse CS winner if we won the cup. Moving Killorn is probably the first thing that Brisebois will do. I don't think he is as sentimental as we are with regards to players, even if they are tenured. This guy asked Stamkos what, a year or two ago? There's a reason our top line has been a mainstay with two key components in four stanley cup runs, and a large part has to do with Palat. Move Killorn and get whatever you possibly can for him and allow Hagel to replace him. Resign Palat.
I’d like to trade hagel. Idc what we gave up for him, and I know his value would be way low rn, but get him away. He f***in blew dog the entire time we had him basically. At least savard last year picked a thing or two up. There were basically no upsides with this guy.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I’d like to trade hagel. Idc what we gave up for him, and I know his value would be way low rn, but get him away. He f***in blew dog the entire time we had him basically. At least savard last year picked a thing or two up. There were basically no upsides with this guy.
He is still young and cheap I wouldn’t move hagel . That line of Paul, hagel and Colton was good until the point injury. But JBB has to get more scoring depth on our bottom 6 for this team next year.

Reactions: Hoek and NatoGhost

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I got it! Palat signs for $6-7 million somewhere, then has one of his patented awful starts to a regular season, the team that signs him panics and trades him back to us at 50% retention.

Reactions: NatoGhost and JoVel

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I got it! Palat signs for $6-7 million somewhere, then has one of his patented awful starts to a regular season, the team that signs him panics and trades him back to us at 50% retention.
Killer retires, Perry retires, leaving $6M

Pally takes team friendly deal for 3 years (until he's 35) at $4.5 #Winning

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Outsider here, I think he stays unless he’s given the keys to the kingdom somewhere else. Given that, too much sunshine, too great an organization: you always make the playoffs, too great of a player’s coach and you get to keep a lot more of your hard earned money! I think the odds are in your favor!

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Nah he's gone.
:huh:

Told ya :pcheer:
Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 10.08.11 AM.png

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
They would say that with anyone, they said the same thing about Coleman and Goodrow too of course they're going to "try" and keep guys but there's a salary cap.
JBB never talked to their agents; he HAS talked to Pally's, Paul's and Rutta's

At the end of the 21 run, JBB stated openly that he would not be able to keep some of the players and they deserved the money they would get elsewhere - that's NOT the same message he delivered TODAY re: Pally, et al.

Of course he's going to say that. It's far from a done deal with contract negotiations. I agree with you though that Palat will return. Even if it's taking a pay cut (which it will be vs open market). Nothing spells selfish for Palat.
I wonder if a bridge deal and then wait for cap to go up next year at which time Perry comes off, Killer's contract is up, etc.

Reactions: Stammertime91

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel like Paul will be the most difficult guy to keep.

Palat is a weird one because I think it will come down to term vs. money, and some teams might offer him a loooot of money.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Let's be honest they can fetch money in ufa and we have to be aware of them just going for that option. I do think the consistency this franchise has been able to display is a reason to stay and the cap does open up later on. The sales pitch there you can't deny. I think as fans this offseason its another wait and see what jbb and Co can pull off with out much there. It will be the spirit and consistency of the franchise that they are putting against ufa. Which again we have to understand the business side of it. As much as my name says cupsovercash these guys do this for a living. Put their body on the line to put them in position to win. If there is anyone deserving it's the guys that's gone to battle here over the years. Been an amazing stretch of hockey.

Gereth

Feb 18, 2015
There is an interview with Palat in Czech newspapers about his next contract. His number one priority is Tampa if conditions are reasonable. I don't think he will take a huge cut, because he has also mentioned it might be his last contract, but he won't expect overpayment. If things do not work out with Tampa, he mentioned Florida, but cap situation there isn't great either. Location seems to be important for him though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There is an interview with Palat in Czech newspapers about his next contract. His number one priority is Tampa if conditions are reasonable. I don't think he will take a huge cut, because he has also mentioned it might be his last contract, but he won't expect overpayment. If things do not work out with Tampa, he mentioned Florida, but cap situation there isn't great either. Location seems to be important for him though.

Feel like Seattle will throw a bunch of money at him if they get the chance.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What we can offer is term and a chance to win. And I think we will be willing to give him some "bad years" because really all we care about are the years between now and Hedman's decline. We won't contend with this defense in the latter years of Hedman's career, assuming we don't hit some kind of crazy draft homerun.

I don't think there's a whole lot of concern for what contracts look like in 2028, because the truth is we are probably gonna suck by then anyway.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What we can offer is term and a chance to win. And I think we will be willing to give him some "bad years" because really all we care about are the years between now and Hedman's decline. We won't contend with this defense in the latter years of Hedman's career, assuming we don't hit some kind of crazy draft homerun.

I don't think there's a whole lot of concern for what contracts look like in 2028, because the truth is we are probably gonna suck by then anyway.

I can't see him taking LESS money than his current contract though, a "discount" is less than what he'd get on the market not a pay decrease like many are suggesting. Players like Eberle or RNH are players who take less on their next contract because they became worse players than when they signed their intial contracts, Palat had his best RS in 2021 and his 2 best playoffs in 2020/2022, he is and should get a raise at bare minimum.

Tampa getting a discount is him signing for 5.5m-6.5M, he would easily fetch 6.5M-7.5M on the market right now - Seattle might be a team willing to throw nearly 8M at him, those <5M numbers are ridiculous. Some are expecting him to sign for Killorn money and less than Cirelli?

I would say "a chance to win" is off-set by knowing Tampa is nearing it's bad years, he wouldn't have to look far to see the McDonagh situation happening now and his buddy Johnson last year that a big veteran contract is their first option when cap problems loom, then enevitably Tampa will be re-signing Stamkos and Hedman on the backends of their careers also which almost guarantees Palat will not be reitring here if he signs a long contract.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can't see him taking LESS money than his current contract though, a "discount" is less than what he'd get on the market not a pay decrease like many are suggesting. Players like Eberle or RNH are players who take less on their next contract because they became worse players than when they signed their intial contracts, Palat had his best RS in 2021 and his 2 best playoffs in 2020/2022, he is and should get a raise at bare minimum.

Tampa getting a discount is him signing for 5.5m-6.5M, he would easily fetch 6.5M-7.5M on the market right now - Seattle might be a team willing to throw nearly 8M at him, those <5M numbers are ridiculous. Some are expecting him to sign for Killorn money and less than Cirelli?
I'm thinking/hoping 4.8 - 5, which is why I think we are going to have to throw a lot of years in, to compete with the contracts that, IMO, will get north of 7. I don't think any teams will offer that kind of money with term, so our offer becomes more valuable as a full packagen (like a 35m total contract). Maybe we could make a very slight raise work, in which case I still think we will be giving him term that takes him to retirement. It's our only real point of leverage over other teams, because I do think some of the AAV numbers will be ridiculous. Everybody in a position to win wants a guy like this on their team, for good reason.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm thinking/hoping 4.8 - 5, which is why I think we are going to have to throw a lot of years in, to compete with the contracts that, IMO, will get north of 7. I don't think any teams will offer that kind of money with term, so our offer becomes more valuable as a full packagen (like a 35m total contract). Maybe we could make a very slight raise work, in which case I still think we will be giving him term that takes him to retirement. It's our only real point of leverage over other teams, because I do think some of the AAV numbers will be ridiculous. Everybody in a position to win wants a guy like this on their team, for good reason.

I just finished editing my post but in regards to "term" and "win now" - it's offset by knowing Tampa is nearing it's bad years, he wouldn't have to look far to see the McDonagh situation happening and his buddy Johnson last year that a big veteran contract is their first option when cap problems loom, then enevitably Tampa will be re-signing Stamkos and Hedman on the backends of their careers also which almost guarantees Palat will not be reitring here even if he signs a long contract.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I just finished editing my post but in regards to "term" and "win now" - it's offset by knowing Tampa is nearing it's bad years, he wouldn't have to look far to see the McDonagh situation happening and his buddy Johnson last year that a big veteran contract is their first option when cap problems loom, then enevitably Tampa will be re-signing Stamkos and Hedman on the backends of their careers also which almost guarantees Palat will not be reitring here even if he signs a long contract.
At the same time, he still gets the contract and the option to play for big money into his mid and late 30s if he feels like he wants to. So I think it's that, vs. taking something like 7mx3, but then there's the unknown of what he will be worth on the open market at 34.

All we can really offer is term. So if we really are trying to bring him back, I feel like the only way is a lengthy deal that will secure his future, because we just don't have the money to compete with the short term deals that will be out there, regardless of how much he wants to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad