Post-Game Talk: On the verge

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
No, Ferraro doesn’t.

He went to ESPN to do their color, between the benches stuff and he dropped doing any work for TSN. He also does a few Canuck games on SN.

Mike Johnson does the colour thing for the junior tournament now on TSN. For a couple of years now I believe.
Ah, didn't know he left TSN entirely. That's too bad.
It's nice to see him on the ESPN broadcasts though as he's still one of my faves.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
was there something more to Kane-Perry than just the clip everyone's seen? just listened to the post-game, Rob and Reid making a way bigger deal out of it than I thought it was..

Someone on twitter said they sat behind them and heard it was over a lazy giveaway by Kane 🤷‍♂️

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Ah, didn't know he left TSN entirely. That's too bad.
It's nice to see him on the ESPN broadcasts though as he's still one of my faves.
I second this. Ray is also one of my faves as a colour guy. I’m fortunate as I winter the US so I have ESPN+ and get to hear him on their game of the week. If you like his work I recommend the Ray and Dregs podcast. It’s just more of him and his quality assessment of the game.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I second this. Ray is also one of my faves as a colour guy. I’m fortunate as I winter the US so I have ESPN+ and get to hear him on their game of the week. If you like his work I recommend the Ray and Dregs podcast. It’s just more of him and his quality assessment of the game.

Love Ray but the other half of the equation makes it unlistenable to me.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Canada has never had good PBP, especially out west. Ferraro back in the day maybe. About it.
Jim Hughson was my favorite for a long time until he took over for Bob Cole and became a Leafs shill.

Case in point, Hughson's calls from the 2006 SJ series still give me chills...

"Out of the penalty box comes Samsonov! Out of the goal comes Toskala! Lost it, Samsonov Scores!!!!!!!! Do you believe what you've just seen?!?!?!"

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I agree completely with your views. To add on, most people simply aren’t getting the point. It’s not that Singh is good (he’s not). Having him on broadcasts is going to encourage the development of different colored people to try out hockey, to broadcast, to take a chance. It’s how the world evolves. It’s an investment in the future of the game.

I absolutely couldn’t stand Cassie Campbell doing color, but I could understand why she was there.

By the way, for all of the complainers, your receiver probably does have the ability to keep the natural sound and ditch the commentating. Mine can do this and it’s 7+ years old.

Finally, Oilers fans seem to just hate commentators in general. Kevin Quinn was probably one of the biggest Oilers homers ever, people couldn’t stand him. Hell, many couldn’t stand Rod Phillips either.

I have no problem with Louie. He does a decent job. He compliments the Oilers plenty, but people don’t seem to care about that. He’s certainly nowhere near as bad as Drew Remenda with the negativity and straight up awfulness.

Btw, there’s a 90% chance we get Singh in the playoffs so might as well get used to it. Cuthbert and Simpson will do the Leafs and Winnipeg will get their locals. There’s a 10% chance Singh goes to the Canucks games.
Yeah I guess a lot of people can look up to Cassie and Singh and think to themselves “if they can do it anyone can do it”. They suck, I don’t care what they look like I just want people to be good at their jobs.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
He’s a sports commentator… no shit he gets critiqued on how he speaks.

"Don't have any accents guys. It makes me angry when you do"

My last name is anglicized to be pronounced Shoemaker, but typically people here will still pronounce it Germanic "Schumacher." Yet in your experience you think it'd be "weird" for people to do so because of your own lived experience. It's not really that weird. People will have accents (that's okay). People pronounce my last name incorrectly because most people are familiar with it in the context of, say, a Formula 1 racecar driver. It's okay too.

It's okay that he says Kadri differently than you. Only person who should care is Kadri. I don't know if he does or not. It's possible he doesn't know. It's possible he does but doesn't want to make a big deal, like how the entire would said Brendan Fraser's name wrong and he only recently pointed it out.

Who cares is a great question.

Reactions: Kerberos

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

My last name is anglicized to be pronounced Shoemaker, but typically people here will still pronounce it Germanic "Schumacher." Yet in your experience you think it'd be "weird" for people to do so because of your own lived experience. It's not really that weird. People will have accents (that's okay). People pronounce my last name incorrectly because most people are familiar with it in the context of, say, a Formula 1 racecar driver. It's okay too.

It's okay that he says Kadri differently than you. Only person who should care is Kadri. I don't know if he does or not. It's possible he doesn't know. It's possible he does but doesn't want to make a big deal, like how the entire would said Brendan Fraser's name wrong and he only recently pointed it out.

Who cares is a great question.
Did I not say in my opinion?

Also no he doesn’t say it like that because of his accent…

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Love Ray but the other half of the equation makes it unlistenable to me.
Ya, agree totally. , Dreger isn’t the reason for the listenership of that pod. I think of him as the bun around a juicy burger. It’s not why I like burgers, it’s just a bland piece of bread to hold it together.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I haven't read the thread but I wonder what Perry was yelling at Kane.

I hope it was something like, "stupid plays like that is the reason why you're not playing in the top six," or "we will never win a Stanley Cup with selfish plays like that."

Because it's true.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It's probably just how he says it?

"How dare he speak the way he speaks" is your complaint here.

We’re back to the “if you don’t like Singh it’s for ‘other’ reasons”

Can’t really speak for others but my impressions are that those that don’t like him is because he’s simply not good (can’t disagree there). Sleepy most of the time and far too exuberant when the opposition touches the puck. I don’t think it’s some sort of imaginary complaint. If it’s because he feels like he needs to be a reverse homer, it’s strange. I’m sure he’s aware of these complaints regarding his calling of Oilers’ games as I’ve seen them elsewhere, and also from plenty of Oilers’ fans with a similar background, if that matters

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
1712530408811.png

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
We’re back to the “if you don’t like Singh it’s for ‘other’ reasons”
So to be clear, I've not actually suggested any motivations for why people are critiquing how Singh speaks.

If people already don't like Singh, they'll be extra scrutinizing about small things that people otherwise do not care about. That said, I do think that critiquing someone because their accent has them say a name differently is goofy as hell unless you're completely unable to to understand who is is talking about. Doubly so if "who cares" is the response someone makes when clearly it's an issue that is making themselves care. It strikes me more of a listener's problem than the speaker's problem.

I think that it's Kadri also plays a role as he's not typically a well liked player so you get a "meh" broadcaster saying the name of the player a lot of fans would probably figuratively love to toss their drink at, it compounds it.

Can’t really speak for others but my impressions are that those that don’t like him is because he’s simply not good (can’t disagree there). Sleepy most of the time and far too exuberant when the opposition touches the puck. I don’t think it’s some sort of imaginary complaint. If it’s because he feels like he needs to be a reverse homer, it’s strange. I’m sure he’s aware of these complaints regarding his calling of Oilers’ games as I’ve seen them elsewhere, and also from plenty of Oilers’ fans with a similar background, if that matters
De Brusk I better understand (and pretty sure he has conceded he is afraid of coming across as biased for the Oilers), but just taking a look at the highlight reel Sportsnet posted here:

-
BLAST FROM BOUCHARD!

-
Draisaitl ONE TIMER... AND HE SCOOOOoooores! Excited about Drai hitting 40.

-
Connor Brown Scores (this one was the one that was not as enthused. I can speculate reasons but fair enough. I wonder if he was surprised that it went in given the play was broken, but I can concede this point)

-
Sharangovich... Scoooooooooores. Talked excited about Shara getting 30 for the first time in his career.

-
Zach Hyman... nifty move! Draisaitl... passes HYMAN STOPPED by Markstrom.
(moments later) Gilbert [hits post] WALKS INTO ONE!

-
One timer out front... Scores! (Kadri's goal, he certainly doesn't "KAAAAAADRIIII" or anything).

-
Bouchard A BLAST! And he scorrres! (De Brusk with some terrible analysis missing the deflection off Calgary player)

-
McLeod came in for puck support... he finds FOEGELE! Backhand shot stopped by Markstrom.
(moments later 2 on 1) Chance for Draisaitl and Brown... Draisaitl TO BROWWN! And it's Markstrom who shuts the door!

You can think Singh is a meh broadcaster, but unless he spends the rest of the not highlights just screaming Kadri for no reason and perfectly just never raises his voice in excitement for the Oilers ever except conveniently in the SN highlight reel, I think Oilers fans are being a little overly sensitive. There's plenty of good reasons to be annoyed at other types of disrespect the Oilers fanbase can be slighted especially in the post game panel, puck drop times, hell officiating, Kelly Hrudey, and the huge focus most media gives to TOR over EDM... but I think it's a terrible look to be annoyed because a broadcaster you might not like is saying the name of a player I bet most almost assuredly do not like differently.

I think the only thing I've consistently seen that people have pointed out is that Singh typically lowers his excitement on EN goals. Though I don't agree with the complaint since EN goals usually denote that the game is over and there is much less tension than there was - just think of Peter Loubardias' call on Patrik Stefan that went "ho hum OH WAIT CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?" once something unusual happened. But if you're already feeling like the universe is picking on you, suddenly we'll scrutinize stuff that we frankly shouldn't.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
“Patrik Stefan you should be ashamed of yourself”

Words will go down history

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Just another note about getting playoff ready and puck management. Notable that Nugent Hopkins last night had 5 takeaways and 0 giveaways. No one even close. Nuge had donuts in both categories for the Colorado and Dallas game. Scoring has been a frustration but the guy has been solid with puck management. Not beating themselves with bad decisions and turnovers is a vital growth area for this team to take the next step.

Playoffs are about an endurance test that requires managing the small details.

Reactions: bellagiobob

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Doubly so if "who cares" is the response someone makes when clearly it's an issue that is making themselves care. It strikes me more of a listener's problem than the speaker's problem.
Since you’ve now made three references to my post, let me just say that it strikes me that you aren’t able to understand what I posted. Or you are willfully misunderstanding it. I was responding to a poster who suggested that Singh was ‘just trying to do justice to (Kadri’s name) as a minority himself’. To be clear, what I don’t care about is Singh’s quest to ‘do justice’ to the pronunciation of one random guy’s name. I do care that he sounds like a massive goof every time he does it. It’s an affectation from a guy who needs to spend more time learning how to do his job than he does focusing on acting like he has some sort of cultural affinity for one random player. I’ll admit it doesn’t help that the player in question is a Flame and a guy who I’ve never liked.

If it was an ‘accent’ it would be evident in everything he says. It’s not an accent. It’s an affectation.

Last edited:

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
No, Ferraro doesn’t.

He went to ESPN to do their color, between the benches stuff and he dropped doing any work for TSN. He also does a few Canuck games on SN.

Mike Johnson does the colour thing for the junior tournament now on TSN. For a couple of years now I believe.
I'll catch Ferraro on Overdrive on TSN 1050 when he's a guest . Mike Johnson strokes the Leafs and Matthews and makes sure it's the full shaft everytime . lol...Guy gets on my nerves. Of course he's in the TO market but man is he annoying.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I agree completely with your views. To add on, most people simply aren’t getting the point. It’s not that Singh is good (he’s not). Having him on broadcasts is going to encourage the development of different colored people to try out hockey, to broadcast, to take a chance. It’s how the world evolves. It’s an investment in the future of the game.

I absolutely couldn’t stand Cassie Campbell doing color, but I could understand why she was there.

By the way, for all of the complainers, your receiver probably does have the ability to keep the natural sound and ditch the commentating. Mine can do this and it’s 7+ years old.

Finally, Oilers fans seem to just hate commentators in general. Kevin Quinn was probably one of the biggest Oilers homers ever, people couldn’t stand him. Hell, many couldn’t stand Rod Phillips either.

I have no problem with Louie. He does a decent job. He compliments the Oilers plenty, but people don’t seem to care about that. He’s certainly nowhere near as bad as Drew Remenda with the negativity and straight up awfulness.

Btw, there’s a 90% chance we get Singh in the playoffs so might as well get used to it. Cuthbert and Simpson will do the Leafs and Winnipeg will get their locals. There’s a 10% chance Singh goes to the Canucks games.
I have no problem with diversity being used in a role model approach, and to encourage others that haven't thought of this path to consider it. But there are steps one takes to get to that level. You need to hone your craft at various levels before you are placed on national TV in the top league in the world. I actually feel sorry for Singh as he has been put in a position that he was not trained or ready for. No different than playing a rookie in the NHL before he is ready. He seems like a nice guy, and unfortunately for him, he's still got his training wheels on, and people are past the he's a nice guys stage, and are getting upset with him as he is affecting their enjoyment of the broadcast. Didn't have to be this way. A few years calling games in English at a lower level would likely have done wonders for his PBP skills.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad