Olympic qualification - Vojens 7-10 february

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Totally unrelated question,is this the reason Justinov you got into hockey? Have you ever played ice hockey yourself?

Nope....my parents or myself later could never afford it. I have been very passionate about hockey since i was a small kid though (watching it on swedish television). Always see sport on TV, since when you go to actual games you see like **** :laugh:
I thought field hockey was the second best thing...and much more affordable.
I have tried some roller scate hockey where I played with a field-hockey stick and they played with icehockey sticks. You can do some very different moves since you turn the stick in field hockey.
Actually I think i have only scated on ice twice in my life as a kid and both times on a frozen lake. I borrowed some figure scating scates when Ii was 12 I think, then the ice melted and that was that :laugh:

Did some rollerscating some years ago and found out it was like cross country scating technique so no problem there.......as long as it was going in straight lines. So I can go forward and backwards, but turning was never a strong move for me (wide circles).

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Nope....my parents or myself later could never afford it. I have been very passionate about hockey since i was a small kid though (watching it on swedish television). Always see sport on TV, since when you go to actual games you see like **** :laugh:
I thought field hockey was the second best thing...and much more affordable.
I have tried some roller scate hockey where I played with a field-hockey stick and they played with icehockey sticks. You can do some very different moves since you turn the stick in field hockey.
Actually I think i have only scated on ice twice in my life as a kid and both times on a frozen lake. I borrowed some figure scating scates when Ii was 12 I think, then the ice melted and that was that :laugh:

Did some rollerscating some years ago and found out it was like cross country scating technique so no problem there.......as long as it was going in straight lines. So I can go forward and backwards, but turning was never a strong move for me (wide circles).

Also is hockey your(for you personally) number one sport? There are actually plenty of danish posters here on hfboards.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Also is hockey your(for you personally) number one sport? There are actually plenty of danish posters here on hfboards.

Well I actually follow a lot of different sports: I'm really into wintersports....so im glued to all kind of speed scating, alpine skiing, biathlon, cross country, bandy and icehockey.

In Denmark you are really being overfed with handball and football, so Im not really a constant viewer of that anymore unless its major championship.
Great fan of badminton and table tennis (also have been overfed by tennis through the years).
Then I'm also a constant follower of chess and sumo wrestling.

My top 5 currently must be Icehockey, Chess, Badminton, Speed scating and Alpine skiing.

Hard to watch either field-hockey or lacrosse here in Denmark, but I see field hockey when I get the chance (olympics).
At olympics i really love seeing the sports I otherwise never get to see...so I'm especially also glued to archery, shooting, kajak/canoe slalom etc...

Actually when you think about it....it's much easier to ask what sport I don't follow :laugh:

For some reason I really dislike basketball......as an ex-handball player it makes you insane you can't push. So in gymnasium those of us that didn't play on the basketball team (that actually became nordic champions) we created our own version "voldbold"....meaning violence-ball. Basically it's basketball where some pushing, body tackles and leg tripping were accepted (to a point since playing on asphalt you had to be careful not to cause injury). I also find it laughable when you see 2.20 meters tall people whine about being touched....go see a handball match and stop whining.

Wrestling I dislike not for the sport itself but because of the point-scoring and general referee corruption at the olympics (same goes for boxing).

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Well I actually follow a lot of different sports: I'm really into wintersports....so im glued to all kind of speed scating, alpine skiing, biathlon, cross country, bandy and icehockey.

In Denmark you are really being overfed with handball and football, so Im not really a constant viewer of that anymore unless its major championship.
Great fan of badminton and table tennis (also have been overfed by tennis through the years).
Then I'm also a constant follower of chess and sumo wrestling.

My top 5 currently must be Icehockey, Chess, Badminton, Speed scating and Alpine skiing.

Hard to watch either field-hockey or lacrosse here in Denmark, but I see field hockey when I get the chance (olympics).
At olympics i really love seeing the sports I otherwise never get to see...so I'm especially also glued to archery, shooting, kajak/canoe slalom etc...

Actually when you think about it....it's much easier to ask what sport I don't follow :laugh:

For some reason I really dislike basketball......as an ex-handball player it makes you insane you can't push. So in gymnasium those of us that didn't play on the basketball team (that actually became nordic champions) we created our own version "voldbold"....meaning violence-ball. Basically it's basketball where some pushing, body tackles and leg tripping were accepted (to a point since playing on asphalt you had to be careful not to cause injury). I also find it laughable when you see 2.20 meters tall people whine about being touched....go see a handball match and stop whining.

Wrestling I dislike not for the sport itself but because of the point-scoring and general referee corruption at the olympics (same goes for boxing).

So you could say you are very all round sports fan :laugh: and i happen to dislike basketball too and i`m not too interested in fooball.
Taking into account that i`m from Latvia and we are fed hockey like no other sports,i have not been sick of it not once.
For me it probably goes something like this:
1)Hockey
2)Red Bull Crashed Ice(love it,though only one latvian participiant)
3)Florball
4)winter sports-Skeleton,Bobsleigh,biathlon,speed skating
5)BMX
Also enjoy Beach volleyball(our guys got bronze at the London olympics,so the sport has gained some popularity here)

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So you could say you are very all round sports fan :laugh: and i happen to dislike basketball too and i`m not too interested in fooball.
Taking into account that i`m from Latvia and we are fed hockey like no other sports,i have not been sick of it not once.
For me it probably goes something like this:
1)Hockey
2)Red Bull Crashed Ice(love it,though only one latvian participiant)
3)Florball
4)winter sports-Skeleton,Bobsleigh,biathlon,speed skating
5)BMX
Also enjoy Beach volleyball(our guys got bronze at the London olympics,so the sport has gained some popularity here)

Not enjoying basketball must be fairly unsual in Latvia where it's a big sport!
Though I must say that beach volley is really not my cup of tea :laugh: - but maybe it's because you got an olympic medal in the sport that you like it!

A lot of your favourite sports are "new age".....I'm way more "conservative" in the sports I like (must be getting old :laugh:)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Funny convo :D ill join in :D

For me it's

1. Icehockey
2. Soccer - But as Justinov says, we have it on ALL channels everyday in Denmark, they even show, Russian, Brasillian, Mexican leagues and such. SO yeah it's tiring. Also Soccer has become soooo predictable it's boring!
3. Handball, man I love this sport, soooo underrated! It's funny in Denmark there is a concensus that Handball players are feminin and girly while Soccer is masculine and manly. But in fact Handball as a sport and the players is very tough and tumble.. Much more so than Soccer. And more often than not, Soccer players are metrosexual duchebags!
4. Badminton - How can you not love such a vibrant sport :) Im proud of our Danish herritage in that sport.
5. Ski Jumping - just love it, I can watch it for hours :P

Sports I hate - Basketball, so boring!

And

American Football, I never understood the fuss, and never will.. To me it's one big advertisement! Nothing else.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

For me it's

1. Icehockey
2. Soccer - But as Justinov says, we have it on ALL channels everyday in Denmark, they even show, Russian, Brasillian, Mexican leagues and such. SO yeah it's tiring. Also Soccer has become soooo predictable it's boring!
3. Handball, man I love this sport, soooo underrated! It's funny in Denmark there is a concensus that Handball players are feminin and girly while Soccer is masculine and manly. But in fact Handball as a sport and the players is very tough and tumble.. Much more so than Soccer. And more often than not, Soccer players are metrosexual duchebags!
4. Badminton - How can you not love such a vibrant sport :) Im proud of our Danish herritage in that sport.

And

American Football, I never understood the fuss, and never will.. To me it's one big advertisement! Nothing else.

My feelings about soccer is that it has evolve into a sissy game for cheaters. Having as you say metrosexual crybabies tossing themselves around and rolling on the grass trying to cheat at all possible moments. I my opinion you should have much harder punishment for faking....same punishment as for doping (cheating is cheating - what about 2 years ban from all soccer trying to fake a penalty! :D).

I know that soccer is tough in the way that you have reckless tackles that causes bad injuries, but that's again when you don't respect your opponents. Same tendency you have more and more in hockey these days - going more and more for reckless head tackles instead of going at the torso. It probably says something about our society these days.

In field hockey any kind of complaining to the referee or doing something illegal with your stick is punished right away. Reckless guys with a wooden stick in game (where you only have groin and shin padding and teeth protecters) could kill each other if they weren't disciplined. But then it's NOT a highpayed professional sport - and maybe that makes all the difference.

I like it when it's tough and honest........rugby is great in that respect. The referee don't whistle the game of just because a playing is injured or hurting. It has to be pretty darn bad if he can't limp or roll off the field.
In soccer they whistle the game off just because someone lay down on the grass and it's misused all the time to delay matches. Also a reason I too dislike american football...it just stops all the time. Not flowing back and forth like rugby.

Only people who have never played handball would call it girly?????
Man you are getting smashed out there. Never understood why it's not popular in NA. Tons of action and goals. Tons of infights. Only wings are below 1.90m and 90 kg.

But as danish you have to love badminton......:handclap: - someone has to take on the chinese (and koreans, indonesians, malayans, japanese, thai and indians) you know. "The rock of europe". It is part of danish sport culture where we have been world elite since after WW2. You have to be insane athletic to be a badminton player.
It's also great fun to play!

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Not enjoying basketball must be fairly unsual in Latvia where it's a big sport!
Though I must say that beach volley is really not my cup of tea :laugh: - but maybe it's because you got an olympic medal in the sport that you like it!

A lot of your favourite sports are "new age".....I'm way more "conservative" in the sports I like (must be getting old :laugh:)

Probably,but i don`t really care,it`s important that you follow the sports you enjoy,not follow them because everyone else does.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga

For me it's

1. Icehockey

And

American football is starting to actually grow on me,we have ESPN America here in Latvia so we havee access to NFL and NCAA football,and i like it personally :laugh: maybe i`m just weird like that :handclap:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Probably,but i don`t really care,it`s important that you follow the sports you enjoy,not follow them because everyone else does.

Well I certainly agree with that!
I have played sports that most danish people have never heard of (Lacrosse for one), and following sumo wrestling is not common either here :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad