Olympic 2018 Possible Rosters (25 man) if nhl players going

If NHL players playing in Olympic RUSSIA HOCKEY team fail again or not?

• Total voters

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Oshie-Matthews-Kane
Gaudreau-Eichel-Wheeler
Saad-Keller-Kessel
Tkachuk-Miller-Foligno
Oshie's been pretty exclusively a RW. I think I'd shuffle him down the line-up and put him on his natural wing. He can play a "grinder" game in the bottom six well enough, and still provide plenty of value on special teams (and the shootout).

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Personally I would split up Kane and Gaudreau, although that would be nasty.

Kane-Matthews-Wheeler
Gaudreau-Eichel-Kessel
Keller-Trochek-Saad?
I'm leaving out older guys lol their team would have been just as deep as Canada up front at least.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Oshie's been pretty exclusively a RW. I think I'd shuffle him down the line-up and put him on his natural wing. He can play a "grinder" game in the bottom six well enough, and still provide plenty of value on special teams (and the shootout).
That’s why I like him there, though. He’s got the versatility to play any game and that line could even match up against the opponents best.

They could match up with anyone.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That’s why I like him there, though. He’s got the versatility to play any game and that line could even match up against the opponents best.

They could match up with anyone.
I don't think you ever play Kane's line as the match-up line. I think you spoonfeed Kane's line offensive zone starts.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
It feels like the US has really been coming into their own these past few years, and I'm very disappointed we won't get a chance to even the score (or at least begin to).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
nobody wants ders?
I think there's still some healthy skepticism surrounding this total skillset, and the wing positions are awfully deep for the US. His goal scoring should earn him consideration for a spot, but the competition is tough. He'd be competing against the likes of Oshie, Foligno, Saad, Tkachuk. Brown, Larkin, van Riemsdyk, Miller, and Guentzel for the last few forward spots.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
@Hivemind How would you set the lines?
Obviously a fair bit of shuffling to see who had chemistry.

Gaudreau - Matthew - Kane (O Zone, pure scoring line)
Kessel - Eichel - Wheeler (Speedy, transition line)
Saad - Trocheck - Oshie (Two-way, match-up line)
Keller - Miller - Foligno/Lee/Tkachuk (Fast energy/"spare parts" line)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Id actually like to see Eichel on Matthews wing in an international tournament

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
They have a sick group of forwards but people need to pump the brakes on this whole "better/beat Canada" thing. Matthews and Eichel is a nice 1-2 punch, but Crosby-McDavid is 10x better. That's the 2 best players in the world. In the bottom six Cs you're going to have some combination of Keller/Miller/Trochek/Statsny vs Getzlaf/Toews/Tavares/Giroux. That's even more lopsided for Canada. Also, other than Kane, Canada has the better offensive players too. Stamkos is the best goalscorer, Benn and Seguin have produced more than any American. Bergeron and Marchand are the best 2 way duo in the game. US has a nice team but Canada is OP.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
I think there's still some healthy skepticism surrounding this total skillset, and the wing positions are awfully deep for the US. His goal scoring should earn him consideration for a spot, but the competition is tough. He'd be competing against the likes of Oshie, Foligno, Saad, Tkachuk. Brown, Larkin, van Riemsdyk, Miller, and Guentzel for the last few forward spots.
i think having 8 in 8 last year with usa would help his chances

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
They have a sick group of forwards but people need to pump the brakes on this whole "better/beat Canada" thing. Matthews and Eichel is a nice 1-2 punch, but Crosby-McDavid is 10x better. That's the 2 best players in the world. In the bottom six Cs you're going to have some combination of Keller/Miller/Trochek/Statsny vs Getzlaf/Toews/Tavares/Giroux. That's even more lopsided for Canada. Also, other than Kane, Canada has the better offensive players too. Stamkos is the best goalscorer, Benn and Seguin have produced more than any American. Bergeron and Marchand are the best 2 way duo in the game. US has a nice team but Canada is OP.
Canada's defense is a lot stronger too

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Not to derail this thread but fantastic roster us could assemble but in an Olympic matchup this year canada would still be an absolute HUGE favorite.
Not even close.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Id actually like to see Eichel on Matthews wing in an international tournament

Eichel needs to drive his own line for depth purposes, but having him and Matty on the same line would be something to watch! :popcorn:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Obviously a fair bit of shuffling to see who had chemistry.

Gaudreau - Matthew - Kane (O Zone, pure scoring line)
Kessel - Eichel - Wheeler (Speedy, transition line)
Saad - Trocheck - Oshie (Two-way, match-up line)
Keller - Miller - Foligno/Lee/Tkachuk (Fast energy/"spare parts" line)
I kept Kane, Gaudreau and Kessel separate to keep an elite skill/IQ winger on each line, Pair them with a complimentary winger on the other side.. I struggled with 3C, I think I agree and would prefer Trocheck. Him and Lee as 13/14 FWDs.. Big fan of Tkachuk but objectively I might take Lee or Keller.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I would hate to watch a US Canada game without Ryan Kesler in there.

I haven' seen him play in awhile so not sure he has anything left...but I would still want to see him in there over Trocheck

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Thank you for reminding me of how much I hate Gary Bettman and I hate the Owners.

I love the Olympics and USA finally had a legit shot at beating Canada this time around.
I really don't understand the hate for Bettman. The guy represents the owners. Thats it. Hate the man all you want but he's just a puppet.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00