Confirmed with Link: Olli Maatta 2 year extension ($3M AAV)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Surprising. But great deal.

Imo, after this, Walman seems to be a trade bait.

Think there was something going on already at summer negotiations.

Next season:
Edvinsson - Seider
Chiarot - Hronek
Määttä - UFA RD
------------
depth like Lindström

Oesterle, Hägg gone.

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Beautiful deal. He's so important. Great partner for Hronek (and probably would be for Seider) and can chip in offense.

Reactions: raymond23

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If Detroit retains 1 mil? I think so. I think Detroit could gift Chiarot to a team scraping the floor without retention.

I like Maatta but this now has me a little worried that Walman is on the trading block.
You could always do a three way trade as well. Maybe we send him to a contender, then another team like an Arizona picks up 1mil and we throw in a middling draft pick to Arizona and the team getting him send them one as well, or something along those lines.

I think Yzerman waits at least a year though before giving up assets to move him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I watched every game and I'm positive you just made half those names up.
Haha, no. But I hear ya. It was even ugly on paper:

EDIT: That year the Wings only got 94 points from their entire defense in 71 games. For comparison, so far they have 117 points from defense in 53 games this season.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheOtherOne

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I like this, short term and small raise. I really like his solidness, even if he doesn't wow in any area. You just know roughly what you are getting for 18-21 minutes a night.

Oh I missed this... this is great!

Edvinsson, Maatta, Hronek, Seider next year. That could be our best top 4 in a long freaking time.

I would feel fine with our LD next year being Maatta, Edvinsson, and Walman.

Could we move Chiarot at the deadline though? Would we have to retain a bunch of his salary?

I think we are stuck with Chiarot for at least another year, unless we want to waste big assets to get rid of him.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
sorry. I don't think I've ever seen these words in a post here on hfboards. can someone help me out here and tell me what they mean?
I think it means toxic masculinity.

But overall, it's a good deal for Maata. Now they just need to swindle someone to take Chiarot plz.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I like this signing a lot as Maatta has played well for us this season especially when paired with Hronek.
I do question what this means for Wallman and Ed.
Maybe Detroit re-signs Wallman and Ed spends another year in GR. Then we trade Maatta in that offseason with a year left to go. Who knows.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It feels like Walman's odds of staying in Detroit go down here, I agree with that.

But I don't know. How do you squeeze Walman out, trade him at the deadline or whatever, and have a better defense next season? Let's say Edvinsson is penciled in next season no matter what. So you've got Seider, Hronek, Maatta, Ed, and Chiarot set as 5 of your top-6. If you don't sign Walman for what would likely be a very reasonable contract, you do have the opportunity to go out and get a RHD to even things out, but looking at the free agent market, there's not much there on the right side; and nothing that would be as much bang for the buck as Walman.

I think Chiarot has to slide to the right. I don't know how that plays out with Seider and Hronek munching so many minutes, and I don't know who gets saddled with Chiarot (who knows, maybe Ed is the guy he finally clicks with), but it seems like the best course of action, long-term.

Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

I think Walman will be getting resigned soon to be honest. Unless some team wows Steve with a trade offer, I think Steve wanted Walman in that Leddy deal, as he mentioned in the presser in the offseason that he has been paying attention to Walman for a few years before they got him. He has had a nice solid season, and I definitely think he will be getting a 2-3 year deal before the offseason.

3 years ago, Detroit iced the following defensemen at one time or another:

Biega
Bowey
Cholowski
Daley
DeKeyser
Ericsson
Goloubef
Green
Hicketts
Hronek
Lashoff
Lindstrom
McIlrath
Nemeth

I'd say things are looking up.

giphy.gif

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I think this means Walman is gone. You extend him, you block Ed.

Unless we move Chiarot to off hand, or better yet, out of town.
If they consider Ed ready at this point. Do they? Perhaps they go with the continued model of having enough veteran bodies to ice a full roster, and then allow the kids to play their way onto the team.

I think Walman will be getting resigned soon to be honest. Unless some team wows Steve with a trade offer, I think Steve wanted Walman in that Leddy deal, as he mentioned in the presser in the offseason that he has been paying attention to Walman for a few years before they got him. He has had a nice solid season, and I definitely think he will be getting a 2-3 year deal before the offseason.

giphy.gif
ALOOOTTTTTT of games were over after the first 10 minutes of the game that year. Painful to watch for sure.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If they consider Ed ready at this point. Do they? Perhaps they go with the continued model of having enough veteran bodies to ice a full roster, and then allow the kids to play their way onto the team.

ALOOOTTTTTT of games were over after the first 10 minutes of the game that year. Painful to watch for sure.

Yeah, plus we still had to watch the rest of them try to "play"!

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Just move chiarot to the right side I don’t think it’s that hard

Wallman- seider
Maatta- hronek
Edvinsson- chiarot

That is a damn solid d-core. If Ed-Chiarot have issues like chiarot-seider did then I don’t think there’s any issue with just flipping Maatta and chiarot

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Wallman- seider
Maatta- hronek
Edvinsson- chiarot

That is a damn solid d-core. If Ed-Chiarot have issues like chiarot-seider did then I don’t think there’s any issue with just flipping Maatta and chiarot
It shouldn't make any difference to Chiarot what side he lines up on for face offs because he doesn't stay positionally sound on the left side anyway. He's a junkyard dog chasing around in the D zone.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
3 years ago, Detroit iced the following defensemen at one time or another:

Biega
Bowey
Cholowski
Daley
DeKeyser
Ericsson
Goloubef
Green
Hicketts
Hronek
Lashoff
Lindstrom
McIlrath
Nemeth

I'd say things are looking up.

Those were some dark days. There is literally 1 NHL level defensemen that came out of that bunch.

Reactions: jkutswings

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

Wallman- seider
Maatta- hronek
Edvinsson- chiarot

With so many of our D being RFA for a while, having Chiarot on the third pair at sub-5 million is not so bad. He's not great, but he's been better than a lot of the ECHL\AHL level garbage we've been putting there.

That D core is looking good enough that signing a defenseman UFA in the off-season would be overkill. If you give Larkin a 9 million per (2.9 million raise) and Bertuzzi 6.5 per (1.75 million raise) that leaves you with ~33 million to sign a goalie, resign Walman and Veleno, bring up Edvinsson, sign a decent depth C, and sign two forwards to fill out the roster.

Yzerman has the bones of a good team, and this year is a good year for UFAs. I could see him shipping out Zadina and Bertuzzi at the deadline with the intention of picking up O'Reilly and one of Tarasenko\Meier\Debrincat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad