Confirmed with Link: Olli Maatta 2 year extension ($3M AAV)

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I couldn't be happier with this. I would have given him more because I think he is that valuable, but he has been a good rock for us this year with minimal defensive mistakes, plays the body, and is great at keeping the puck in the offensive zone at the boards.

Absolutely love it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Oh I missed this... this is great!

Edvinsson, Maatta, Hronek, Seider next year. That could be our best top 4 in a long freaking time.

Great! Do Walman next.
Interesting.

I wonder what this means for Walman.
I would feel fine with our LD next year being Maatta, Edvinsson, and Walman.

Could we move Chiarot at the deadline though? Would we have to retain a bunch of his salary?

Reactions: norrisnick

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Love this. Ink Wallman and next year your top 6 D are Seider, Wallman, Hronek, maatta, chiarot, Edvinsson. That’s really solid

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Edvinsson, Maatta, Hronek, Seider next year. That could be our best top 4 in a long freaking time.
Jake Walman.....

left-out-conan.gif

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Could we move Chiarot at the deadline though? Would we have to retain a bunch of his salary?
While my gut reaction is, no, no one would want Chiarot with that contract... retaining salary certainly cracks the door further open. But more to the point, I don't think Yzerman gives up on him that quick after signing him to that big commitment.

We all like Walman, and I do think Yzerman tries to re-sign him, but the puzzle pieces are a little stubborn at this point.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I think this means Walman is gone. You extend him, you block Ed.

Unless we move Chiarot to off hand, or better yet, out of town.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

If Detroit retains 1 mil? I think so. I think Detroit could gift Chiarot to a team scraping the floor without retention.

I like Maatta but this now has me a little worried that Walman is on the trading block.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
It feels like Walman's odds of staying in Detroit go down here, I agree with that.

But I don't know. How do you squeeze Walman out, trade him at the deadline or whatever, and have a better defense next season? Let's say Edvinsson is penciled in next season no matter what. So you've got Seider, Hronek, Maatta, Ed, and Chiarot set as 5 of your top-6. If you don't sign Walman for what would likely be a very reasonable contract, you do have the opportunity to go out and get a RHD to even things out, but looking at the free agent market, there's not much there on the right side; and nothing that would be as much bang for the buck as Walman.

I think Chiarot has to slide to the right. I don't know how that plays out with Seider and Hronek munching so many minutes, and I don't know who gets saddled with Chiarot (who knows, maybe Ed is the guy he finally clicks with), but it seems like the best course of action, long-term.

Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I hated this signing when it happened, but he's been solid for us. Good deal. And thinking ahead, he could be a nice asset to trade away as a rental in a couple years as we hopefully filter in prospects

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
He has been solid. Strong complimentary guy who fits perfect with Hronek.

I’m definitely happy with the length of this extension.
Brings stability, but none of the worries/headaches that are attached to those long term deals for middling veteran players.

Reactions: Frk It

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad