Player Discussion Oliver Kylington

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I assume that Kylington will be placed on the non-roster list once the season starts. Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered but if he's on that list does his $2.5m AAV salary still count against the cap?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Last year he counted against the cap but he was eligible to be moved to LTIR. Since he has a 1-way deal he's not eligible for SOIR, so I imagine he will be placed on IR and then moved to LTIR before the first game. Same goes for Rooney.

Pelletier is eligible for SOIR and will have his cap hit pro-rated as a result.

This will result in some cuts that aren't cuts, likely all of Solovyov, Klapka, and Schwindt are sent to the Wranglers, maybe even Coronato due to his cap hit being higher than that if Klapka and Schwindt. And they they'll be recalled when cap hits of player(s) are moved to LTIR to allow for a group of players to be recalled.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Is this guy coming back? There was footage over the off season of him training in a Flames uniform.

I’m a bit worried about his career going forward, these are important years. Obviously his own well being comes first but I really had high hopes for him. The team could’ve really used him last year (I think we make the playoffs if he was playing and healthy). This has been such a strange situation.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is this guy coming back? There was footage over the off season of him training in a Flames uniform.

I’m a bit worried about his career going forward, these are important years. Obviously his own well being comes first but I really had high hopes for him. The team could’ve really used him last year (I think we make the playoffs if he was playing and healthy). This has been such a strange situation.
It's not strange at all, mental health issues can be absolutely crippling. I missed work for 14 months, through the majority of it I could barely do daily tasks. I couldn't keep my home clean, I struggled to get out of bed, I struggled to shower, I couldn't watch a 30-min TV show in a single sitting, I would go weeks without communicating with anyone, I only left my home for medical appointments, and even then I did most over the phone..... I shit you not, most days if I managed to get dressed, it was a "good" day

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
It's not strange at all, mental health issues can be absolutely crippling. I missed work for 14 months, through the majority of it I could barely do daily tasks. I couldn't keep my home clean, I struggled to get out of bed, I struggled to shower, I couldn't watch a 30-min TV show in a single sitting, I would go weeks without communicating with anyone, I only left my home for medical appointments, and even then I did most over the phone..... I shit you not, most days if I managed to get dressed, it was a "good" day
Hey Lunatik. I'm sorry you had to go through things like this, and I hope you're very well today and moving forward. If you ever need to reach out, feel free. I have suffered from anxiety for a long time but I keep it under control because I know exactly what my triggers are. A lot of friends and family couldn't grasp what anxiety was and didn't understand the things I've gone through, so it's tough to find the right people in a support system. Anytime you need to talk or get thigs off your chest or anything, send me a DM. Cheers my friend.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hey Lunatik. I'm sorry you had to go through things like this, and I hope you're very well today and moving forward. If you ever need to reach out, feel free. I have suffered from anxiety for a long time but I keep it under control because I know exactly what my triggers are. A lot of friends and family couldn't grasp what anxiety was and didn't understand the things I've gone through, so it's tough to find the right people in a support system. Anytime you need to talk or get thigs off your chest or anything, send me a DM. Cheers my friend.
Greatly appreciated and I was doing okay for a few months... but have been struggling again; I am seeing my doc later this week, hoping maybe a change in my meds might help. But you are right about the support system, it's hard when no one gets it. "Just go outside fresh air will help", "Fake it til you make it", "You seem fine".... etc.

I've accepted this will be a lifelong challenge, but I figure the best think I can do is speak out and educate people the best I can about how difficult it can be... the more stories people hear about how bad it is, maybe we can do something about the stigma.

Like y'all know how much I love our Flames, image it taking 12+ hours to watch a game. I'd basically pause at every whistle. Do something else for 5 minutes (maybe a video game or a sitcom), watch until the next whistle.... rinse, lather repeat.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
But you are right about the support system, it's hard when no one gets it. "Just go outside fresh air will help", "Fake it til you make it", "You seem fine".... etc.
I hate how some people here (main boards I mean) still think that concussion symptoms are just headache, and mental problems mean you are not tough enough. Or that you can't be depressed if you are smiling sometimes.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Greatly appreciated and I was doing okay for a few months... but have been struggling again; I am seeing my doc later this week, hoping maybe a change in my meds might help. But you are right about the support system, it's hard when no one gets it. "Just go outside fresh air will help", "Fake it til you make it", "You seem fine".... etc.

I've accepted this will be a lifelong challenge, but I figure the best think I can do is speak out and educate people the best I can about how difficult it can be... the more stories people hear about how bad it is, maybe we can do something about the stigma.

Like y'all know how much I love our Flames, image it taking 12+ hours to watch a game. I'd basically pause at every whistle. Do something else for 5 minutes (maybe a video game or a sitcom), watch until the next whistle.... rinse, lather repeat.
I understand fully. Sports is tough for people that are so excited, and enthusiastic, die-hard so to say and having a mental issue makes it even tougher. I've been a Flames fan since 1980 and same as the Philadelphia Eagles. Eagles had their first loss of the season yesterday in an extremely winnable game. They just kept making bad decisions in the 2nd half while leading the whole game. They just gave the game away. Old me would have been furious and stew about it for a week. Yesterday was quite easy to talk myself down from any type of anger or depression. It's just a game, teams aren't perfect, they'll move forward and learn from their mistakes. I'm just a fan, I am not going to beat myself up over a game.
If you think about the Flames last year, many times I said why do I give all my heart and soul to this team when clearly they could care less out there, and Huberdeau has even said that last year he just wasn't interested in hockey and wasn't at his best mindset to be succesful. So clearly he wasn't giving his best effort out there and I'm sure that was the ongoing trend in the dressing room. It was a toxic team all along. So why as a fan are we getting so mad and upset about it when some of the players couldn't give a shit.
Just live your life the most comfortable you can be and definitely don't let sports ruin your day.
But yeah, mental health is definitely a thing in these days and I do the same thing about trying to talk to people and educate them as well. I've had a few people tell me they can't believe how I understand exactly what they're feeling when nobody else will.
Always remember, you can get through the worst of your times, you always have to keep fighting.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
It's not strange at all, mental health issues can be absolutely crippling. I missed work for 14 months, through the majority of it I could barely do daily tasks. I couldn't keep my home clean, I struggled to get out of bed, I struggled to shower, I couldn't watch a 30-min TV show in a single sitting, I would go weeks without communicating with anyone, I only left my home for medical appointments, and even then I did most over the phone..... I shit you not, most days if I managed to
Hey man, I’m sorry to hear about that. I genuinely hope you’re doing better now. Reach out if you ever need anything.

As for Kylington, is it confirmed his issues were mental health related?

Reactions: Boomstick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hey man, I’m sorry to hear about that. I genuinely hope you’re doing better now. Reach out if you ever need anything.

As for Kylington, is it confirmed his issues were mental health related?
Yes, he did an interview about it before the season in Swedish. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Reactions: Boomstick

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Not sure but this might be the original story Kylington: "Jag led av mentala och psykologiska problem"

my swedish is not good enough to read and translate, but our friends at google translate say that the headline means

IIRC, there was a video clip with english translations on it too. I'll poke around and see. I want to say it was in the around the dome thread or GM thread, but it might have been on the main board thread as well.

EDIT:

EDIT 2: Actually, I think your link has a longer version of that clip and it looks like there's English subtitles too. There's a video that's almost 11 minutes long in that link vs the 1 minute in my link, but if all you want is confirmation that it was mental health related, its in that short clip.

Reactions: Blueston

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm glad the Flames are focused on addressing mental health and substance abuse. We speak about Kylington more because he was on an NHL roster, but for a long time we were losing players at the AHL level and earlier. Ferland is one of those examples further back and it goes even beyond there. Most recently we lost Parsons to mental health only a few seasons ago. It's a WIP, but IMO it's more valuable of an attribute that I'm glad Treliving focused on, than most people realize.

Here's hoping that we can get Kylington back sometime and that his career isn't over.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I'm glad the Flames are focused on addressing mental health and substance abuse. We speak about Kylington more because he was on an NHL roster, but for a long time we were losing players at the AHL level and earlier. Ferland is one of those examples further back and it goes even beyond there. Most recently we lost Parsons to mental health only a few seasons ago. It's a WIP, but IMO it's more valuable of an attribute that I'm glad Treliving focused on, than most people realize.

Here's hoping that we can get Kylington back sometime and that his career isn't over.
I believe Emile Poirier (2013 first round draft pick) also ended up derailing his career because of alcoholism (and was a bit part of why we kept Brian McGratton around post-playing career in an advisor role for people looking to get sober in the organization. I believe he was the one who really helped Ferland as well)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
McGrattan really helped Ferland and Tootoo.

It's a shame Big Ern is no longer with the Flames

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I believe Emile Poirier (2013 first round draft pick) also ended up derailing his career because of alcoholism (and was a bit part of why we kept Brian McGratton around post-playing career in an advisor role for people looking to get sober in the organization. I believe he was the one who really helped Ferland as well)

Poirier was another yeah. I think there were more.

McGrattan really helped Ferland and Tootoo.

It's a shame Big Ern is no longer with the Flames

Last I heard it was to give him an opportunity league wide vs just Flames. but I didn't follow up to see what happened.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Lunatik

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Last I heard it was to give him an opportunity league wide vs just Flames. but I didn't follow up to see what happened.
He was at Sens development camp this year talking to the kids in a non-affiliated capacity, so I'm guessing he's doing exactly that.

Big Ern is still my all-time favorite Flame for reaching out to me when I was at my darkest time.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

Sadly there is probably more work at the league level verses local. Good for Grats that he has turned a negative in his life to a positive.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
He was at Sens development camp this year talking to the kids in a non-affiliated capacity, so I'm guessing he's doing exactly that.

Big Ern is still my all-time favorite Flame for reaching out to me when I was at my darkest time.
That's fantastic that he took the time to do so. Wonderful story to hear about. Even more wonderful that you're still here with us taking names and kickin' ass.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's fantastic that he took the time to do so. Wonderful story to hear about. Even more wonderful that you're still here with us taking names and kickin' ass.
I posted about it at the time and it did kind of involve Big Ern.

That piece of human fecal matter Damien Cox was still on SN at this point in time and McGrattan had just lost a fight by KO in the minors and said he'd be back and he'd fight again.

Cox took it as an opportunity to go for shock value and called Ern suicidal. At that time, I was suicidal... So I wrote Cox a letter and posted it on Twitter and tagged him in it.

I not longer have a copy but I called him out for intentionally using such a powerful word just to illicit clicks, and said since he's paid to use words he should be more responsible in using them. that fighting may be dangerous, but said that it was not suicidal. Then I went on to describe the thoughts I'd been struggling with, including hanging myself from my balcony.

Cox blocked me.... I was Cox blocked haha

But Ern saw it and sent me a DM encouraging me to fight

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
I posted about it at the time and it did kind of involve Big Ern.

That piece of human fecal matter Damien Cox was still on SN at this point in time and McGrattan had just lost a fight by KO in the minors and said he'd be back and he'd fight again.

Cox took it as an opportunity to go for shock value and called Ern suicidal. At that time, I was suicidal... So I wrote Cox a letter and posted it on Twitter and tagged him in it.

I not longer have a copy but I called him out for intentionally using such a powerful word just to illicit clicks, and said since he's paid to use words he should be more responsible in using them. that fighting may be dangerous, but said that it was not suicidal. Then I went on to describe the thoughts I'd been struggling with, including hanging myself from my balcony.

Cox blocked me.... I was Cox blocked haha

But Ern saw it and sent me a DM encouraging me to fight
Thank you for re-sharing this I was unaware of the specifics. It's brutal that Cox just blocked you versus any other alternative involving taking responsibility for his words and the impact they can have, especially when used so carelessly.

I always liked Big Ern. I remember a piece he did awhile ago about his own struggles and trying to be there for other pugilists in and out of the league who were struggling (I believe at the time CTE was just gaining traction as a big contributor to a lot of erratic behaviour for former and current athletes that also presented as depression/anxiety etc over the long term).

I know it can ring hollow from a relative stranger but feel free to dm if you're ever struggling again in the future and just need an outsider to listen.

I've also been through the ringer. Mostly w panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Sometimes it's impossible to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once again I'm very happy you were able to push through your own struggles.
Cheers.

Reactions: Blueston and Fig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thank you for re-sharing this I was unaware of the specifics. It's brutal that Cox just blocked you versus any other alternative involving taking responsibility for his words and the impact they can have, especially when used so carelessly.

I always liked Big Ern. I remember a piece he did awhile ago about his own struggles and trying to be there for other pugilists in and out of the league who were struggling (I believe at the time CTE was just gaining traction as a big contributor to a lot of erratic behaviour for former and current athletes that also presented as depression/anxiety etc over the long term).

I know it can ring hollow from a relative stranger but feel free to dm if you're ever struggling again in the future and just need an outsider to listen.

I've also been through the ringer. Mostly w panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Sometimes it's impossible to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once again I'm very happy you were able to push through your own struggles.
Cheers.
Thanks P.

• Love
Reactions: flames23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad