Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Today's playoff matches:

- Game 2 of the Mamonty Yugry/Chaika series @ 10AM ET. Yugry up 1-0 on the series following a Volokhin shutout.
- Game 2 of the Nybro/Brynas series @ 2PM ET. Nybro is down 1-0 in the series.

Non-playoff games:

- Mesar @ 7PM ET vs. Guelph.

Yea we all thought he was AHL-bound. But in all honesty, the SHL is a step up from Liiga. So it's still a good thing.

But I was really hoping he'd be in Laval next year. It would have been fun to see Beck and Kapanen as centers in the AHL.
Not very impressed he chose to go where his dad is sporting director. TBH that doesn't bode well at all in my humble opinion.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If he wants to go to the SHL next year thats fine, but he may want to come over after that given the youth movement in our line up. I would be surprised if he didnt come over to at least take his shot at the best league and best paying league in the world.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
For the moment, nothing is official. Timra has targeted Kapanen, but it's not confirmed.

Obviously, he's still with KalPa and his contract ends on April 30th, so at the moment, it's not a done deal.

Maybe Habs are okay with him staying in Europe. But maybe they'll try to convince him to come over rather than stay in Europe.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Went prospect surfing and anyone see him play? statistically watching, he's tearing it up in the playoffs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's always good to see a prospect take off in the playoffs, his games are hard to get access to but I hope to see him at some point soon. Going to the SHL would help although their games on also on during work hours so it's hard to watch the full game.

If you take out his slow start his season looks much better. I was never a big Ylonen fan but I have figured Kapanen would be the defensive version of Ylonen, so if he's not in Laval next season then I hope it's the SHL so I can see him a little more as I could have been wrong about the offensive upside but I was just happy to see the skating/speed improve from last year in the little I saw this season so far.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It's always good to see a prospect take off in the playoffs, his games are hard to get access to but I hope to see him at some point soon. Going to the SHL would help although their games on also on during work hours so it's hard to watch the full game.

If you take out his slow start his season looks much better. I was never a big Ylonen fan but I have figured Kapanen would be the defensive version of Ylonen, so if he's not in Laval next season then I hope it's the SHL so I can see him a little more as I could have been wrong about the offensive upside but I was just happy to see the skating/speed improve from last year in the little I saw this season so far.

Ylonen is just plain allergic to contact and is so pathetically perimeter. It is too bad as he has great wheels, slick mitts and a nasty shot, he just has no interest in paying any price whatsoever to get into better scoring positions.

Kapanen is able to play in the dirty areas and has a higher IQ, I would have preferred to see him come over next season but he could do worse than playing in the SHL.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Went prospect surfing and anyone see him play? statistically watching, he's tearing it up in the playoffs.
Have seen him a couple of times. Very dynamic player, he has that gamebreaking offensive ability in Liiga level so he's definitely someone to keep an eye on. To be seen if he can develop the physical tools to keep up in the rougher NA pro environment but this kid would probably absolutely crush the CHL and I'm pretty sure there would be more hype around him if he played in Canada. But there's still work to do physically.

Fuonki

Jan 2, 2020
Good read, he started as a goalie

Translated the most relevant bit:

Kapanen, who won World Junior Championship silver and also served as captain, is a second-round pick of the Montreal Canadiens for the summer of 2021. The NHL club bombards him with messages almost as often as Hannu Kapanen. (Who is his grandfather)

"There are monthly calls and messages after games to see how it's been. It's a two-way communication," says Oliver Kapanen.

"We know where we are and whether everything is going well for the player and the club. There is no disconnect at any stage."

The bright lights of the NHL are already shining in the young top prospect's mind, even though he knows there is still work to be done.

"The goal for the next few years is to fight for a place there and to fulfil that little boy's dream of playing an NHL game one day and then getting a foot in the door."

It has already been reported in the Swedish media that Kapanen will move next season to SHL club Timrå, where his father Kimmo Kapanen operates as general manager.

"Let's play out these playoffs first and see what happens then," Oliver Kapanen says.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Translated the most relevant bit:

Kapanen, who won World Junior Championship silver and also served as captain, is a second-round pick of the Montreal Canadiens for the summer of 2021. The NHL club bombards him with messages almost as often as Hannu Kapanen. (Who is his grandfather)

"There are monthly calls and messages after games to see how it's been. It's a two-way communication," says Oliver Kapanen.

"We know where we are and whether everything is going well for the player and the club. There is no disconnect at any stage."

The bright lights of the NHL are already shining in the young top prospect's mind, even though he knows there is still work to be done.

"The goal for the next few years is to fight for a place there and to fulfil that little boy's dream of playing an NHL game one day and then getting a foot in the door."

It has already been reported in the Swedish media that Kapanen will move next season to SHL club Timrå, where his father Kimmo Kapanen operates as general manager.

"Let's play out these playoffs first and see what happens then," Oliver Kapanen says.

No problem with Kapanen playing another year in Europe.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not very impressed he chose to go where his dad is sporting director. TBH that doesn't bode well at all in my humble opinion.
The AHL isn't as appealing for everyone...maybe he just prefers to play in a league he thinks is better for his development next season.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
The attention we are giving him is a clear tip off. Do you see us not signing him?

All i know is we have to sign him before june 1st 2025 or he's free to go antwhere.

So if he plays in Sweden next year without an NHL contract why would he sign with us at the end of his season if he can choose where he goes couple of months later, not saying he wouldn't still sign here but ........

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
All i know is we have to sign him before june 1st 2025 or he's free to go antwhere.

So if he plays in Sweden next year without an NHL contract why would he sign with us at the end of his season if he can choose where he goes couple of months later, not saying he wouldn't still sign here but ........
Hughes is very very shrewd with his assets we are signing him he has to remain our property.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

He's the #1 scorer in the Liiga playoffs right now
We may have our 4 centers of the future, plu two injury replacements:

Suzuki
Dach - Newhook
Kapanen - Beck
Evans

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Olli Jokinen (yes the ex NHL’er) is stepping away from head coach of Jukurit and will now coach Timra. I am posting this info in our prospects thread because Timra is the team Kapanen is rumoured to join (GM is his dad).

Jukurit is also where Konsta Helenius played this year and he had a heck of a 17yr old season. Hopefully he can develop Kapanen’s skills further

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad