Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Even if his offense doesn't improve, he could still be helpful in our bottom six in the future as he's good defensively and on the PK.

Our PK suck ass currently, Armia/Dvorak/Evans who are used on the PK a lot are gone after next year so there will be plenty of minutes on the PK that need to be filled starting in 25/26.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The fact that he doesn't have a contract yet is making me think we're not going to bother. I guess we'll see this summer.

Plus he's MB's pick?

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
The fact that he doesn't have a contract yet is making me think we're not going to bother. I guess we'll see this summer.

Plus he's MB's pick?
MTL has so many forward prospects already and upcoming picks might need to consider the use a contract spot (maybe not specific to Kapanen, but in general, tough to say how they value him)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Plus he's MB's pick?

They won't do anything until his season is finished. We have his rights for another year (2025), so there's absolutely no rush to do anything. Let the kid finish out his season, and if able add him to Laval.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
MTL has so many forward prospects already and upcoming picks might need to consider the use a contract spot (maybe not specific to Kapanen, but in general, tough to say how they value him)
My thinking also. He's the only forward picked in 2021 that went unsigned.

They won't do anything until his season is finished. We have his rights for another year (2025), so there's absolutely no rush to do anything. Let the kid finish out his season, and if able add him to Laval.
I'd be surprised. We just have too many picks and the farm has many Oliver Kapanens imho.

Reactions: Nevins

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
My thinking also. He's the only forward picked in 2021 that went unsigned.

I'd be surprised. We just have too many picks and the farm has many Oliver Kapanens imho.

They loath giving up on anyone. There's no reason why they can't give him an AHLC at the end of this season and see what he does in Laval. Unless he has an injury.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
His problem has been massive inconsistency as he's played 43 games yet he's gotten all his points in just 16 games. That's f***ing nuts. 27 games with 0 points, 16 games with 27 points.

This can be partially attributed to not having consistent linemates and even though I do agree that his production has been streaky, this particular method of analyzing offensive production always presents shocking numbers for players who have modest point totals as it is impossible to be under a point per game and most players who average around 0.5 ppg will average well over a ppg in games in which they register a point.

His streakiness may very well suggest that when playing with better linemates he is able to take advantage of the opportunity and quite clearly has some offensive upside that can be unlocked. He is 4th on his team in ppg and younger than all three that are ahead of him. He has improved his skating and has good size, and will only fill out and get stronger as he ages. The kid has a good hockey IQ and can shoot the puck, I would not be shocked to see him end up as good as or better than Beck who I also really like.

I am a fan of his game but I wouldn't go as far as suggesting that he is a lock to be a top 9 forward in Montreal but I do think that he is our most underrated forward prospect. I had him and Struble as the two prospects that this fan base was seriously underrating before the season started so.....come on Ollie, make me look smart lol.

Reactions: Nevins and mdk

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Plus he's MB's pick?

there was no need to sign him yet and burn up a spot on the 50. Habs need to use the full 4 years they get with some of these Euro prospects imo, although I'm not a big fan of Liiga so not sure if they would rather see what he can do in Laval next year or just leave him over there till his season ends next year and then bring him over.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
His problem has been massive inconsistency as he's played 43 games yet he's gotten all his points in just 16 games. That's f***ing nuts. 27 games with 0 points, 16 games with 27 points.
wow he's still only 20. I didn't realize he was so young playing in Men's league.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
there was no need to sign him yet and burn up a spot on the 50. Habs need to use the full 4 years they get with some of these Euro prospects imo, although I'm not a big fan of Liiga so not sure if they would rather see what he can do in Laval next year or just leave him over there till his season ends next year and then bring him over.

And I think the Canadiens are aware that Liiga isn't a scoring league and teams prefer playing defensive hockey. They mentioned it after they took Slaf when they were asked if they were worried about Slaf's low production at Turku.

So it's likely they don't evaluate Kapanen solely because of his production, which has gone up each year.

I also think that Kapanen went from being in Liiga and being sent down to U20 in his D+1 year, to being a full-time Liiga player and being a 3C in his D+2 year. And now, in his D+3 year, he was KalPa 2C, and the last few games, he's been their 1C. So there is progression there.

It feels like he's been in the Canadiens' system forever, but he was drafted in 2021 and is still 20 years old.

Reactions: Nevins and FloJack

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Does anyone know if Oliver Kapanen will play with the Rocket in September 2024?

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Does anyone know if Oliver Kapanen will play with the Rocket in September 2024?
His current contract as far as I know runs out this season.

We don't HAVE to sign him, we own his rights until 2025 but I would expect him to come over to Laval. Him and Beck. Part of the reason Mysak was traded IMO because both Kapanen and Beck should be in Laval next season.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
His current contract as far as I know runs out this season.

We don't HAVE to sign him, we own his rights until 2025 but I would expect him to come over to Laval. Him and Beck. Part of the reason Mysak was traded IMO because both Kapanen and Beck should be in Laval next season.
I would agree with this. I didn't think Kapanen was in a hurry to sign but Mysak being traded does suggest they expect more centers in. Either that or Xhekaj is coming and is going to play center in the AHL as well, but I think they may just go the overage route for him.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Laval will be stronger if they can get some solid vets to help the young kids.
I havent been watching the farm much this year, but I did yesterday and Dobes looked absolutely fantastic, our G depth is outstanding.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I havent been watching the farm much this year, but I did yesterday and Dobes looked absolutely fantastic, our G depth is outstanding.
Early on a huge mistake was made by management, they threw Dobes to the wolves without having a solid AHL Vet goalie to help him. Kaskisuo (who is injured) made a difference and now Dobes is very comfortable in nets. He is a legitimate goalie prospect. Don't write him off.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
At this point it seems Montreal could acquire Jack Campbell and he’d turn his career around. The franchise has never had an issue finding quality goaltenders for some strange reason.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
At this point it seems Montreal could acquire Jack Campbell and he’d turn his career around. The franchise has never had an issue finding quality goaltenders for some strange reason.
This Jack Campbell ?
IMG_5185.png

Jul 6, 2016
I hope Kapanen could become a quality NHL player.... BUT, Habs have a very bad record with Swedish and Finnish players they drafted . Lehkonen, Koivu and Naslund are the best ones over almost 5 decades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad